Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am thinkin of buying a air filter and i dont know which one is the best.......dont worry about the price i just want to know wat are the best for wrx ........i see that many people use k&n.....is it cuz its cheap and good????are there any other brands that are better such as apex i or blitz or hks ??all comments welcome thx guys (o yea and if u buy a air filter, does it mean u dont need to buy a intake???or are u allowed to have both????sorry i dont know tat much bout cars)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
First off, I'd like to say welcome to the club:) With that said, I'd like to point out that the air filter is part of the intake. The short ram intake uses the acordian looking piece of you stock intake, so it's pretty much just a filter. The cold air intake uses a flashy, usually colorful, pipe...so may be you're thinking that the pipe is the intake and that it's separate from the filter. It's all together the intake "system"...I guess you can call it that. I hope this sort of clarifies things.

As for which system is best, I think it's mainly based on preference. The consensus on this forum is that CAI (cold air intake) is worthless, and actually decreases performance. I personally really like and plan on getting the Blitz Intake. It's stainless steel, and you never have to oil it.

Many on this forum suggest that you don't need an intake at all. They say to take out the resinator, get a K&N panel filter, and you're set. I know I'm not giving you a straight forward answer, but there really isn't one. If you need more info, I recommend doing a search for intakes or air filters. Good luck:)

Fahd

·
1,911 Posts
For milder setups I just use a Blitz drop in filter. For more extreme setups, I use the Blitz SUS. It outflows anything I have ever tried and is reusable with no oil as Fahd mentioned. Great intake but I'd do an uppipe and a boost controller before you start messing with your intake.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Yep, the uppipe is by far the coolest mod I have so far. As for the intake, I took off the resinator. You can really hear the turbo spool up and the stock BOV. The entire first week after I put in the uppipe I never turned on the radio...the turbo was music to my ears:D

Do you have an uppipe yet smjkxsnoopy?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope i dont.......is it good to get like up pipe and down pipe and midpipe first???? i dont have any mod besides turbo timer so far.....

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Definately get that stuff first. Like Dan said, get you an uppipe and boost controller first. If you don't want to spend $450-$550 on an EBC(electronic boost controller), just get an MBC(manual boost controller) for $45. Joe P is an excellent MBC from what everyone on this forum has said. Do you have a boost gauge? You need to have one of those to get an MBC, otherwise you won't know how much boost you're pushing, and you'll blow your turbo if you set it too high.

As for the downpipe, most aftermarket ones replace both cats. There's a cat in the downpipe, and one in the front midpipe which many people consider part of the downpipe. The rear midpipe is replaced when you purchase a catback system.

For the uppipe I highly recomend godspeed. That's the one I have on my car and I love it. For the turbo back(downpipe, midpipe, and catback section) you have several options here: you can buy each piece a la carte or buy a full turbo back system like the Turbo XS for example.

As for your air intake, it shouldn't be of any concern for right now. Just take out your resinator and you should be fine until you do your exhaust mods.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
K&N filters are reusable, but just don't over oil and you service them (50,000 to 100,000 miles)

·
Registered
153 Posts
WRXin' said:
The entire first week after I put in the uppipe I never turned on the radio...the turbo was music to my ears:D

i never turn on my radio anymore, period.

i ripped out all the sound deadening material from my car, and it sounds much (obnoxiously but wonderfully) louder. :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
NEwrx said:

i never turn on my radio anymore, period.

i ripped out all the sound deadening material from my car, and it sounds much (obnoxiously but wonderfully) louder. :)
Ha...you extremist you:D I don't think my head would be able to handle all that noise.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Where does one go to buy these air filters? (K&N, ITG...)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the Blitz type SUS. Its a paper element that still flows tremendously well. Its paper element that is designed to filter out particles a tad better than the regular Blitz metal filter can.

·
Registered
153 Posts
WRXin' said:

Ha...you extremist you:D I don't think my head would be able to handle all that noise.
on my first drive, after taking out the sound deadening mtrl, going 75, i thought my car was going to explode. :)

--> wrxin', or anyone else who would like to offer sound suggestions- do you know of any gauge pods that would hold 60mm" gauges in place of the stock stereo system? i thought i saw something like that before, but am having zero success. perhaps i was just dreaming. :T

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
No idea where you can get one, but I'd imagine it would be rather simple to custom make one. Not sure how myself, but you can PM TeamShiftPoint and ask William. He's good at that kind of thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts