ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!

Has anyone tried the 2008 STI?

As a happy owner of a 2004 Forester XT, I love its short gearing but can't stand its mushy brakes and roly poly suspension. I am not really into modding, therefore it is not an option... at all. Please don't flame me for shunning this, I don't think badly of those that do but I have made an educated decision that tinkering with my car is not for me at all.

I would like to buy my car the way I like it stock. I adored the 2006 STI that my friend let me try. It was perfect, as if God had made the car just for me with my exact preferences in mind. I do need a little more trunk space though and the '08 STI seems to fit the bill.

Has anyone driven both? Can anyone tell me what it's like to drive the newer STI versus the 04/07's? Is it noticeably slower because of the (yuk!) taller gears? Is the suspension "mushier"? I also just read in a car magazine that it really doesn't get into its powerband until after 4000rpm. That can be subjective, I feel that the 06 STI is strong from even low down. How does the 08 compare powerband wise as well?

Thanks
A

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove an 08 STi yesterday and ordered one.

I haven't driven the previous STi models to make a comparison, but I do have a 2002 WRX to compare it to.

The new STi is a blast to drive, handles great, and is still comfortable. In the first 2 gears it lacks nothing at all, and really takes off. On the highway, I was hoping for a little more top end, but then I'm used to driving a 490 hp, front wheel drive SRT-4 (which I'm putting up for sale to make room for the new STi).

I won't be modifying the STi, other than maybe a cold air intake or other basic things that won't cause warranty issues.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I have not driven the 2008 STI yet, but have you also given the new WRX 5 door a test drive?

You should be able to gauge how you like the interior space, interior quality, positions, etc based on that even if you are set on the STI version.

The new gear ratios and equipment the premium package gives are very nice features and the new WRX still feels to drive quite a bit better than the FXT.

Depending where you are, some dealers in the west US already have them while we are still waiting on 5 that are incoming.

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
The '08 STI appears to be an insane performer, unless you read some of the magazine racer's posts on NASIOC about it being an "understeering, sloppy pig". I'm sure it's one of the best all-around performance cars ever made for the money and I'd love to own one.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
<<---- going to Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix august 7th for the SOA race intro and demo of the new STI (and I think new forester)

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
<<---- going to Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix august 7th for the SOA race intro and demo of the new STI (and I think new forester)
I'll give you at least $5.00 if you let me go instead. :thumbup:

:sadwave:

·
Registered
48 Posts
drove an 08 STI last night

I test drive an 08 STI last night at Annapolis Subaru. It was a relatively short few mile test drive. And keep in mind that I'm relatively ignorant about car stuff, my 07 STI is my first manual tranny ever that I bought 6 months ago, but here's my opinions anyway.

As for appearance, it does indeed look much better in person than it did in pictures that first came out last spring/summer. I'm not super excited about the hatch style in general, and I'd prefer a MazdaSpeed 3 in sedan form than their hatch, etc. as well. But the new STI does look pretty decent, and does have an aggressive stance to it. Though the sales rep I talked to told me he thinks the aggressive lines seen in the Subaru booklet pictures are more pronounced than what he sees in the parking lot on the actual real-life car. That's the sales rep talking... My biggest complaint for myself is the new front grill/headlight style, which has a reserved, family car look to it IMHO compared to the blobeyes or hawkeyes that I like. (I'm personally not a fan of the bugeye style lights) The STI logos on the back and on the front grill are a cool transparent jewel-like finish instead of the flat cherry-blossom red paint on my 07. I like this a lot, and am likely to order the new 08 logos to swap onto my car. The upholstry looks much nicer IMHO than the 07 blue coloring, especially as I have a gray car. (It looked fine with the WRBlue paint, but I didn't like the blue interior with other paint colors.)

I do like a bunch of the new features in the car. Fold-down back seats are nice to see, which I really wish I could have got for my 07. At least my fold-down back armrest passthrough hole gives me some hauling abilities, even if not very much.

The steering wheel carries control buttons for stereo and cruise, which I think is cool. I somehow very often grab the wrong of the two sticks off the right side of my wheel stem, reaching for the wiper controls when I want cruise, or reaching for cruise when I want wipers. Moving the cruise stick onto the wheel itself I think will reduce my rediculous confusion, and I liked having it there on my 80's Mustang. I'd like to see if anyone comes up with a mod to put the new wheel on previous MY STI cars and get all the new control buttons functional. (hint hint)

The key fob has a new hatch open button. I really wish I had one of those for my 07's trunk.

I didn't ask, but it looks to have the same roofrack mounting as the 08 WRX I saw with said rack installed at the Baltimore Subaru Challange last fall. I seriously wish I could get that for my 07. Yea, I've seen the instructions on how to do a Thule or Yakima install that doesn't mangle my windows, but having a paintless rack would be preferrable to that... (I don't remember the 08 WRX rack touching the paint, please correct me if I'm wrong on that)

The ride was a LOT smoother than my 07. Those with wives saying no to a bumpy ride will probably have a better chance of talking them into this car than for previous model years. It's also a good bit quieter. I like the quieter part of it, and I'd like to Dynamat my 07 when I can afford to. If you're into more comfortable ride, you'll be happy. If you like a more rambunctious feel, you may miss it.

And as for performance, it feels somewhat tame compared to my 07. My STI feels more like an anxious puppy that doesn't want to sit still. I think that's fun. The 08 has power, but it feels a little more reserved, cautious, and "well-behaved". Some people may like that, as it seems a bit easier to drive than mine, and new stick-shifters may be somewhat more comfortable with it than an 07. (I still feel like a newbie at times myself, especially shortly after starting it on a really cold day it feels much more jumpy than after it warms up) Some may not like this. The sales rep said that another test-driver claimed it felt more like driving a WRX than an STI. I can't really confirm that myself as I've never properly driven an 07 WRX to get a feel for the differences between the two trims.

Overall, I like the 2008 STI. I really wish mine had some of the new features. But I do like my 07 better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts