ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new to this site but have been the owner of my 03 WRX for over a year. i have enjoyed my car in stock form for the past year but now its time to make it faster (pluss its old n needs engine work anyways) my questions lies in tuning. after i put new hardware on my car i know i need it tuned in ( i have been researching) i have loked all over this site and other butt am still confuzed about tuning.

I found a shop near me that tunes subarus (moonperformance in lake placid ny) what im confuzed about is do i need to buy some kind of tuning hardware AKA acces port befor i goto moon? or do i just take my care there and let them tune it with there own equipment?

also there website says "wideband included" what does that mean? do i hafa replace my o2 sencer with a widband or again is that something they provide?

one of my mods will be uppipe and turbo back exhaust probably cattles. can the tuner make my car think that the catts are working so that the CEL wont come on so that i can get it NYS inspected?

One last thing. do i need to have EGT boost and AFR guages to get it tuned or is that optional?

Thanks for the help, Mitch

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You can just take your car to the shop, they'll do the rest. Wideband included has to mean they'll install a wideband sensor, even if only for the tuning process. They might not leave it in place. The planned exhaust changes will require a tune, so you might want to wait with the tuning until you have those parts in place. For future logging/tuning you may eventually want to get accessport or opensoure and tectrix OP2. Gauges are purely for status info, not needed for tuning or operating. Mine has a lot of mods, but the dash is factory...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks thats what i was hoping to hear. that will save $600 for an AP. what about the CEL for being cattles? they can get it to pass inspection?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I don't hear about any tuning done @ Moon by someone there. Both times I went, it was a visiting tuner.

Now that I'm off my phone, I can see your location. We have Ray from Turbotek here in Albany. Shorter drive, and a pretty good rep.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Why don't you just contact them directly and ask them the details?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you just contact them directly and ask them the details?
Yeah i guess i will do that, and i will lookinto turbotek too. one more question: weather it be moon or turbotek its a three hour drive eather way soo do i need to tow my car on a trailer to get tuned or can i drive it? i plan on doing major mods and the AFR will prolly be way off

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Wildkat said:
Yeah i guess i will do that, and i will lookinto turbotek too. one more question: weather it be moon or turbotek its a three hour drive eather way soo do i need to tow my car on a trailer to get tuned or can i drive it? i plan on doing major mods and the AFR will prolly be way off
You'll be fine driving the car untuned, since you have an '03. If you're real worried, run a line directly from the compressor to the wastegate to limit you to spring pressure.

I strongly advise you go with Ray, though. The owner of Moon is a nice guy (pretty sure his name is Taylor), but you really don't hear anything about him tuning Subarus. Click the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. There are a lot of guys in the area who've had Ray tune their car lately.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'm gonna be that guy...

A Dyno.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
I'm not being that guy, but in essense what you'll need to bring is a car that runs and money. If your car has faults fix them first, then take money and go to the shop. It is unlikely you'll have a productive day if you show up with a car that isn't running right to begin with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts