ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
AFAIK, its some email service that holds a ton of memory but you have to get people to sign up for it.

I'm always weary of that kinda sh*t cause you gotta give your credit card # or something like that even though they don't charge you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i haven't given my credit card info for gmail. i'm just too lazy to tell everyone that i have a new email address.

gmail is google's email system. they give you a gigabyte free so you can store all of your messages instead of deleting them.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Trailboss said:
AFAIK, its some email service that holds a ton of memory but you have to get people to sign up for it.

I'm always weary of that kinda sh*t cause you gotta give your credit card # or something like that even though they don't charge you.

you crazay

its in beta form right now so you cant just go sign up for it.

its not shady at all.

really.

TB-do you want an invite hunny bunny?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't have to use a credit card to sign up, not that I've heard anyway.

But I did hear that in exchange for all that space they are giving you, they sift through all your emails and strategically target you with keyword-specific ad placements.

Yikes. :eek3:

I don't like the idea of anyone going through my mailbox.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
read up a little more. its no different than a word you type in your browser right now strkining up a relevent ad by a sponsor.

it may sound intrusive but go to google and do a search. then look to the right.

youve probably barely noticed it before, and its def not intrusive.

other than that do delete your emails and empty your trash frequently.

ps. avoid alot of the hype surrounding this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Trailboss said:

Okay, a few things:

1. GMail is a web mail service from Google
2. GMail does not require a credit card.
2.1. In fact, you could use all fake information, like any other free email account.
3. GMail gives you 1gb free storage for your mail and files that you upload.
4. No one goes through your mail. It's just like their search engine that places ads on the side and top of the screen based on what you searched for.
4.1 What does happen is a computer scans your email, like your web searches, for keywords that it can match. (Like Gusto said)
4.2 Ads are OUTSIDE of the email. The email is not modified in any way, shape, or form.
4.3 In fact, GMail does not tag any ads at the bottom of outgoing mail like Hotmail and Yahoo do.
5. GMail is an awesome service with a totally sweet interface.
6. GMail is by invite only right now because it's in its beta stage (testing).
7. Searching for your mail in GMail does not even come close to exposing your files to the Internet-version of the search engine.
7.1 Everything in your account is kept totally private, as expected.
7.2 Anyone who says any differently is a moron :)

8. If anyone wants an invite, I have a few left in my account. PM me about it if you're interested.

Eric :D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
So is not email for Gansta' wannabes? :confused: (G-mail)..

(ok that was corny)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
highlights from the scary site:

After 180 days in the U.S., email messages lose their status as a protected communication under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and become just another database record. This means that a subpoena instead of a warrant is all that's needed to force Google to produce a copy.
No different than your home email or juno or whatever.

Google's language means that all Gmail account holders have consented to allow Google to show any and all email in their Gmail accounts to any official from any government whatsoever, even when the request is informal or extralegal, at Google's sole discretion.

ouch.

Google has not even formally stated in their privacy policy that they will not keep a list of keywords scanned from incoming email, and associate these with the incoming email address in their database. They've said that their advertisers won't get personally identifiable information from email, but that doesn't mean that Google won't keep this information for possible future use.
double ouch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts