ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys if there is a post on this already. I google searched, searched here, and nasioc to see if there was a sticky or something with good information on there about this but came up with nothing. I am getting lots of work done to my car tomorrow including dp, up, and cai being installed. I am also getting an e tune for my cobb ap but the tuner said i need a wideband. From my understanding i knownits an o2 sensor with a wider range than the stock o2s. I know this gets put into a bung after the turbo before the cats or in my case after the turbo since i am completely catless. That is all i know. I looked up online and see people wiring leds ans buttons to the front. For what? What should i expect? I have a normal mechanic shop doing this and since i have no clue how to know what they did or are going to do is right i want to know what i should look for. Also can anyone recommend a good wideband? I saw some for 80, does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
You're not going to get a real wideband for $80. It's not so much that they read a wider range, but they read richer mixtures than the OEM O2 sensor, which is needed for tuning. You can expect a gauge that displays a digital output, in numbers. It tells you what your air to fuel ratio is, simple as that. It's also very helpful to have a logging cable for your wideband. This way your AFR can be recorded to a log and the tuner can look at it and make adjustments to the fuel maps.

The AEM UEGO is one of the cheapest wideband options out there that is worth a damn. It costs roughly $180 without the logging cable..

This is what it looks like (the gauge itself comes with different faces if you wish to change it out):

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Got the general idea down. It's generally required to know what your fueling is while in boost. The stock sensor is not accurate when running under boost or on the rich end of the spectrum.

You'll need a controller to go along with the sensor. I went with an lc-1 kit and am happy with it. It came with a controller, gauge, sensor, bung, and a serial cable you can use to log it (I use my open port instead and love it). An LED and calibration button was included as well.

The LED is used by the controller to communicate with you. It will let ya know it is running okay, or blink in a pattern to indicate a specific error.

The button is connected in between a wire from the controller and ground. When the normally 5V signal is shorted to ground, the sensor goes into 'free air calibration'. You will need to remove the sensor from the exhaust pipe for this. It will need to be done following the initial hook up as well as every six months or so. Kind of annoying if the sensor isn't easy to get to just a warning.

As far as install, I'd just have the mechanic do the bung. The rest of it is more electrical based. Maybe a car stereo shop would be best if you can't. Careful attention should be paid to the grounding of the controller - the engine block is recommended. Also, it should be hooked up to a switched 12v power supply (I grabbed a tap from the ignition fuse). The sensor needs to be heated when the engine is running.... But you don't really want the sensor heater going to town while you just want your radio on.
That is a quick primer. I consider mine one of my better buys. The stock sensor was way off when in boost and I was really taking a shot in the dark. Also, the sensor is much better at picking up fast fueling transients than the stock one.

Good luck. Will check back if ya have any questions.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
+1 to the grounding. Mine caused an annoying buzz in my stereo until I got it grounded directly to the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the prompt responses! I really appreciate it. So i tried looking for you lc1 kit with the guage but instead came across this. Would this be all i need? MTX-L: Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge and would it fit into this pod? ATI Triple Meter Center Dash Pod Subaru WRX / STI 2002-2007 at RallySportDirect.com also what can I expect from the tuner? I thought I would be using the cobb ap to data log but now that i can see the ecu has nothing to do with this wide band im assuming im going to be running my laptop in the car with some open source data logger, my tactrix cable and also wideband cable hooked to the laptop in conjunction?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Jorge10988 said:
Thanks guys for the prompt responses! I really appreciate it. So i tried looking for you lc1 kit with the guage but instead came across this. Would this be all i need?
MTS Modular Tuning System

1 - 9 of 9 Posts