ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing the term "map" and have no idea what it is or means. I do not know when you need it or what it does. I feel like it has something to do with tuning?. If someone could please explain it to me that would be great!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
A map is the tune that's on your car. People call the new tune a new "map".

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The two definitions I can think of are:
1) That folded paper you use to navigate (because you're in the stone age and don't have GPS)
2) ECU image that gets flashed

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
ECU= Engine Control Unit...primarily responsible for the air/fuel mixture that gets spit into the combustion chamber. In our case, and many other cases, it controls the amount of boost and timing to make the car run optimum for it's current conditions.

When you flash the ECU...you put on a different map, or tune. Most cases, it's in conjunction with adding new performance enhancing parts, such as a downpipe, intake, new injectors/turbo, etc. With Subarus, they are finicky engines and virtually need tuning done for any major change in parts. You can't just swap and go...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mikie13 I also had a question about Mishimoto Radiators. I know that upgrading the stock 02 WRX's radiator can add about 15-20 hp, but is the all alluminum mishimoto radiator a good upgrade, or should i get an sti one from the dealership?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Chance.Briggs said:
What does the ECU do exactly? What does it mean when my ECU gets flashed?
The ECU has a series of tables and parameters that control how the engine operates. It's like the programming code that defines a piece of software that you use.

By flashing the ECU, you are overwriting the tables/parameters of the ECU to have the engine operate differently. This is similar to installing a service pack or a hotfix to software mentioned earlier, which will alter the way the software works.

Chance.Briggs said:
I know that upgrading the stock 02 WRX's radiator can add about 15-20 hp
Not sure where you heard that, but it's false.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The two definitions I can think of are:
1) That folded paper you use to navigate (because you're in the stone age and don't have GPS)
2) ECU image that gets flashed

3) Manifold Absolute Pressure (I replaced my OEM MAP sensor with an AEM 3.5 bar unit so my ECU can read boost levels above 23psi, or whatever the stock unit maxes out at.. I forget)

A radiator isn't going to add power on any car, ever.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Thanks Mikie13 I also had a question about Mishimoto Radiators. I know that upgrading the stock 02 WRX's radiator can add about 15-20 hp, but is the all alluminum mishimoto radiator a good upgrade, or should i get an sti one from the dealership?
Edit: changing answer now that I saw the mistyping :)

For one I thought Mishimoto only made intercoolers haha. But at stock power levels, you don't really need a new intercooler or larger. The stocker is efficient. You have better areas to spend money in. Plus, you won't really see any improvements unless you were to get tuned to better optimize the TMIC.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
i think you should of bought a kia.
That's nice. I guess everyone is supposed to know everything from the start.

No wonder why your rep is in the red...

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you take your radiator off you then shed a few pounds and can go a little faster....right?:confused:

I wish I could afford a new intercooler ...wah wah waaah:sadwave:

·
Registered
850 Posts
my rep is terrible because people are cry babies when they get a negative opinion. IDK
No, your rep is terrible because your positive additions to this forum are non-existent.

OP, there is a really fantastic book that I picked up before I started working on my '09 titled "How to tune and modify engine management systems." The first few chapters helped me understand everything going on in the ECU, and how mods impact fuel and air delivery. It gets a bit technical after that, but it's highly recommended!

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts