ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX with after market parts. We have had for 3 weeks and it has thrown a p2096(hubby thinks) code on us. We would like to get a simply easy to use code reader. We are slowly learning about this car and hope someone on here will help.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I just recently bought a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX with after market parts. We have had for 3 weeks and it has thrown a p2096(hubby thinks) code on us. We would like to get a simply easy to use code reader. We are slowly learning about this car and hope someone on here will help.
That doesn't look like a valid WRX code.

Personally I would recommend getting a tactrix cable and use the application learning view if you have a laptop. It is very easy to use and you can do a lot of other stuff with it once you understand a little more (logging, tuning, etc.).

RomRaider • View topic - UTILITY: Learning View (version 0.6a 03-21-09)

Unfortunately you need the canbus version of the cable - a little spendy but again you can do a lot of other stuff with it.

Tactrix Openport 2.0

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I got this one, way more than just an OBD 2 reader, but simple, practical, and also shows 4 gauges at any one time from any 12 you want to see... ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools
I don't want to knock this as I have never tried it. However, the only gauge function that looks really useful is boost. The solution I posted is MUCH more powerful, however the display (laptop) is not nearly as convenient.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't want to knock this as I have never tried it. However, the only gauge function that looks really useful is boost. The solution I posted is MUCH more powerful, however the display (laptop) is not nearly as convenient.
Yes, there are "better" things out there but simplicity works too, you don't have to carry anything with you, it's plugged in and there all the time... As for the gauges I like to see some things in better detail like the engine temp, the stock gauge sucks, it's so general it never moves yet my ScanGauge shows me that the temps can and do fluctuate from 80*C to 104*C. I also think the boost gauge is good, and the IAT are good, seeing the battery v is good once in a while as is when it's in closed or open loop and seeing the timing advance once in awhile as compared to engine load works for me, the peak numbers for any trip are also interesting to be able to see sometimes... As for the fuel usage indicator it's very accurate once adjusted to the vehicle and there are lots of different ways to see it/compare it...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
mycologist said:
Personally I would recommend getting a tactrix cable and use the application learning view if you have a laptop. It is very easy to use and you can do a lot of other stuff with it once you understand a little more (logging, tuning, etc.).

RomRaider • View topic - UTILITY: Learning View (version 0.6a 03-21-09)

Unfortunately you need the canbus version of the cable - a little spendy but again you can do a lot of other stuff with it.

Tactrix Openport 2.0
Agreed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts