Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He gets smacked down! Yesterday I was picking up some lunch at good old Bojangles. I put my sweet tea in the sorry excuse for a cup holder above the stereo and pull out to the light. It's a two lane road and I was waiting for traffic to pass so that I could make a right turn. That was until this kid in a flowmastered red Z-28 pulls up to my left and starts revving. Ah, what the hell I thought it's been awhile since I raced someone from a stop.

I start playing with the throttle, keeping it between 3k and 4k. As I see the other light turn red I gun it and as our light turns green I'm at right about 5200k as I let out of the clutch. My front tires spin a little bit and as we make it through the intersection I have 3 cars on this dude. My iced tea by this time has been thrown completely out of the cup holder and is now all over my lap. I'm now cussing up a storm because it looks like a just pissed all overmyself. I keep in it, winding through third and a little bit into 4th and I hit the brakes. I look at my speedometer and I'm at 105, look into my rearview and he's a good 6 cars back. Of course he didnt stop, but flew by me like he was going to catch me. :rolleyes: At the next light he asked me what I had done to the car and I told him "a few things." At that he just shook his head and said "you killed me man, take it easy"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Even though he flew by you, he did admit to your face that you spanked him. Sounds like the guy was pretty cool if you ask me.

Sucks about the tea. Nothing like having wet-sticky pants for the rest of the day! If the guy was only behind by 5-cars when you shutdown at 105, then he must be a low 13-second car. That is pretty respectable for an LT1. :);)

Fellow North Carolinian

·
Registered
37 Posts
HAHA great story! You may have gotten wet for your effort, but at least you came up with the "W". I did almost the exact same thing, except I had a mustang gun it by me right as I was pulling out of Wendy's. I floored it and my biggie Dr. Pepper did a 2 1/2 twist with a gainer right out of the deluxe model "cup holder". Somehow I managed to partially deflect, partially catch it with my right hand, so I ended up with a leaky drink sitting upside down on my lap. Was kind of an acrobatic feat if you ask me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
LOL! I've learned to avoid using that upper cup holder if I feel the need to accelerate quickly. That tiny one by the base of the armrest doesn't work well for large drinks, though, and you have to keep your arm outta the way, but it won't send it tumbling back like the "Beverage Launcher" we have sitting by our air vents. :D

Nice kill by the way! It pains me to kill a fellow F-body brother, but puts an evil grin on my face at the same time. :cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sounds like the guy was pretty cool if you ask me.
If that was the only time I've ever seen this kid, I would consider him cool too. That's not the case though. :) He used to rev at me everytime I'd see him, regardless of which way I was going (many times in the opposite direction.) If he didnt think he was such a badass, it would be a different story.

On a side note, I need more power! My wife and I were coming home on 1-40 from seeing "Jackass the Movie" when a silver C5 coupe, with what sounded like a Corsa exhuast, came roaring up behind me and passed me going about 90 mph. I looked over at the wife and said "He should spank me, lets see." :) I caught up to him and paced him at 80mph then he punched it. I followed suit but he kept pulling on me to the tune of 2 cars by 120 when I shifted into 5th. By then it was over, I shut down because I knew I wouldnt catch him.

I want some NAWS!! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
If he didnt think he was such a badass
Okay, I got you now. The guy was a "habitual" jerk until you taught him a lesson. Nice! :)
Some people just need to have reality thrown in their face sometimes. Glad you were able to do that for him. ;)

Just remember that if you ran into that same Vette at a light, you would probably own him. Your launch would put him far enough back that he would probably give up about the same time he would start catching up to you (around 80-mph or so?). :D:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your launch would put him far enough back that he would probably give up about the same time he would start catching up to you (around 80-mph or so?).
That's happened before. When I was stock I would race guys that I work with from a stop. One guy has a E36 M3, another a 96 Z28. They would give up too at around 90 mph or so. Once they figured out that I only had 227 horsepower they demanded a rematch and passed my ass at 95 or so. It was fun while it lasted! :)

I'm pretty confident that on the street (read no slicks etc.) I can take pretty much any car out there light to light. What I want to improve on is my highway acceleration, and that takes raw horsepower and gearing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is around the highest trap speed someone can pull in the 1/4 with the stock turbo but everything else is modded to heck?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
FASST LN said:
What is around the highest trap speed someone can pull in the 1/4 with the stock turbo but everything else is modded to heck?
someone just pulled a 102 trap at 13.2 with nothing but pipes and a $50 MBC.

that's pretty sick.

dR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts