ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i have two noises which could be associated. hear is my setup. megan 4-1 headers+upipe with flex. then tsudo 3in bellmouth downpipe, connected to a apexi N1 catback. no donut gasket just flat flange to flat flange. ok hear is the problem at hard throttle. not all the time but about 50% of the time i hear a rubbing sound. and it seems like it hinders acceleration. sounds like tire rubbing but i see no wear on the tires. nor on the wheel wells. and to top that it will do it in a straigt line. BTW my car has around 350hp so the headlights go into the fricken trees when i accelerate so i presume its possible. but the other thing thats weird is that if i shift jerky at high rpm you can hear it vibrate through the floor. not bad but you can definetly hear it. it resonates with the vibration of the engine. you accerate hard and jery the motor shakes like normal but you hear the sound as it corresponds to the engines normal movement. so you think its gotta be exhaust well thats what i thought. so i get under the car shake the exhaust around rev the motor. check for clearance, i have more than addequate clearance around all the pipes. i check the springs. by the way i have TEIN S Tech springs with OZ PRODRIVE 18x7.5 with 225-40-18 yokohama paradas. again the problem is more pronounced with 3 people in the car. but it still does it often with just driver.

also i noticed today was the first time i took the car past 105mph and the car started to make an INSANELY LOUD SCREAMING NOISE semi high pitched squeel i had 3 people in the car all weighin around 200 in back, 350in front. this **** was so loud i slowed down, and when i slowed down it went away. if it was tire rub wouldnt i notice it on the body of the car and tires. i took my VERY smart friend for a ride he said it sounded like tire rub. the car didnt start to do this until i did my mods. this could mean that one of my mods is causing the problem via rubbing. or its causing the problem because now im producing so much more power that the car is actually squating from accelerating that its rubbing and since it rubs not all that often its not showing up yet but eventually will. the slowing of the car would make sense. i need a outside perspective. sorry for the rambling. people who know me on this site know that i am special

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
regarding the sound I have this as well ! Only I get it around 130-140mph never earlier..
I don't have a clue what it is yet, so far I'm thinkging wheelbearings, but I'm not sure about that either..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
glad to know im not the only one yeah above 120 starts screaming? i thought rear end but then cars only got 15k on it and i just changed all the fluid? car was owned by neurologist who drove like a normal person. however i mean its not impossible but i can almost guarantee its not diff nor wheel bearin. say man do you have exhaust on your car. tell me your setup maybe we are having the same CAUSE

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
scoobaru said:
glad to know im not the only one yeah above 120 starts screaming? i thought rear end but then cars only got 15k on it and i just changed all the fluid? car was owned by neurologist who drove like a normal person. however i mean its not impossible but i can almost guarantee its not diff nor wheel bearin. say man do you have exhaust on your car. tell me your setup maybe we are having the same CAUSE
Same sound both with stock and catless exuahst.. I just changed the fluid on the rear diff and the oil looked so good I did'nt bother changing the gear/front diff oil..

It's also a on/off sound.. it's there in ~120mph and it's goes away as soon as you release throttle..

I think it's also strange to be heated wheelbearings, bacuase I have had many "long" and repetedly runs to 110-115mph without hearing it.. I have never heard it under 135mph.. but often (80% of the runs) over 135mph.. Makes me not want to hit top speed.. :(

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Screaming noise/howl at high speeds? Try rolling your front windows down then back up again ;)

As far as the other noise, I'd try some stiffer exhaust hangers as Draco-REX mentioned.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
MainFrame said:
Screaming noise/howl at high speeds? Try rolling your front windows down then back up again ;)
It is not wind noise! It's kind of scary sound..
Driving 120mph with windows down are just noisy.. So say it's the mirrors, but I don't belive it myself..

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Roffa said:
It is not wind noise! It's kind of scary sound..
Driving 120mph with windows down are just noisy.. So say it's the mirrors, but I don't belive it myself..

It's a loud howling noise? I get the same thing at 120mph, people said it was the mirrors, but then one guy said it was the windows.. I didn't believe either, untill I took it up to 120mph the noise started, and when I resealed my windows it stopped. Every time I have heard this noise resealing the windows has made it stop.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
MainFrame said:
It's a loud howling noise? I get the same thing at 120mph, people said it was the mirrors, but then one guy said it was the windows.. I didn't believe either, untill I took it up to 120mph the noise started, and when I resealed my windows it stopped. Every time I have heard this noise resealing the windows has made it stop.
Interesting.. I'll try that next time.. Have to wait 4-5mounth untill I get my summertires back on.. ;) Thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
LMAO oh my god i thought there was something wrong with my car....that howling noise scared the bejeezus out of me when it first happened but i still dont know what it is i thought it might be my rubber piece of the reaer window that pops out and pops in but i dunno :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah took a closer look

im pretty sure its the mirrors. its funny as hell sounds like the car is going to blow up by the way

one more reason for my loud noise. yall aint going to beleive this ****

took my car for an alignment, they DID not tighten my strut bolts after adjusting camber. so my wheel was flopping in an out at high speed ISNT THAT AWESOME. yeah i almost died. on the causeway booking it at a HIGH RATE OF SPEED, use your imagination got home pulled all the wheels off and i got IRATE. i was like jesus christ i could have died cause of this friken "mechanics" lack of care. double check all mechanics work yourself and even if your not a mechanic take a look, you will see most things that are wrong kinda stick out. btw ive been doing this crap forever so its second nature

1 - 12 of 12 Posts