Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with my broken foot I haven't been able to drive my car, but have been thinking a lot about ways to improve it. I already ordered a new double din Kenwood receiver to spruce up the sound and look of my car. But now I am thinking about adding some actual gauges to my car. As of right now I am monitoring 5 gauges on my accessport:boost, AFR, feedback knock, fine knock learning, and DAM. But, I know that the accessport is not very accurate in terms of AFR and other gauges like that.

I have been researching for days on what cluster I like best and best fits my needs. I think I have settled on the SMY dual gauge pod that replaces the hood over the speedometer and stuff. https://subimods.com/smy-clustermak...14-wrx-2008-2014-2009-2013-fxt-smyclstr1.html My question is what do you think are the 2 most important gauges to start with? As of right now Im looking at the AEM uego wideband AFR gauge and the aem digital boost gauge.

Are these two the best one to start with that are most vital to monitor? If not, what 2 gauges would you suggest I place in there? The only downside is that when I bought my downpipe from invidia I got one without the extra bung for the wideband, so Ill have to have a shop fabricate one into my downpipe.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
I like the AEM gauges myself. If I had to pick two it would probably be wideband and boost, although with the Access Port there to monitor boost, you might be better off spending your money on something like oil pressure/temp, or EGT (although EGT is really only useful during tuning).

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anything, it will be more accurate. What you see is exactly what the ECU sees, and I've never seen any complaints about the OEM MAP sensor.. other than it maxes out at 23.5psi (at least on my bugeye that was the max).
Good to know. I wasn't sure because I have read the AFR gauge on the AP is not too accurate. So the wideband is on my definite list. With the boost not being so much of a must now, I'm wondering about the second gauge. Oil pressure would be the next in line in mind.......?

·
For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
I'm a big fan of the AEM UEGO wideband, as for other gauges, I'll never buy anything but Defi.

·
Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
The Innovate LC-2 was my favorite wideband gauge and sensor. Other than that, Defi and AEM are good gauge brands. One thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for with gauges.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Maxes out at 23.5 absolute? Or above ambient pressure

Above ambient.. if it was 23.5 absolute then it would peg at 8.8psi for those of us at or near sea level.

Good to know. I wasn't sure because I have read the AFR gauge on the AP is not too accurate. So the wideband is on my definite list. With the boost not being so much of a must now, I'm wondering about the second gauge. Oil pressure would be the next in line in mind.......?

Oil pressure would be a good one. It's not something that's really necessary, since it's not like you can really change your oil pressure (or need to).. but it could potentially save your engine in the off chance that you were to have an issue like a cracked pickup tube, or really low oil for some reason. When my engine was burning a ton of oil and I didn't know it, I noticed my oil pressure gauge needle starting to act twitchy, and when I went around a corner it noticeably dipped. I pulled over and checked, there was no oil.. without the gauge I would have driven another 150 miles or more before checking the oil, so it saved me.

It's also helpful in that you can kind of gauge when your oil is fully up to operating temperature. Once you know what your idle oil pressure normally is fully warmed up, then you can easily see when it reaches that temperature just from the pressure gauge. In my car it takes roughly twice as long as it takes for the coolant temp to level off.

·
Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
I guess I forgot to elaborate on which gauges I thought were necessary. There are 4 that I believe should be highly considered. If you are tuned, you should definitely have a Wideband o2 gauge, a boost gauge (ap works for this), Oil temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. The second two are a little more difficult to install than either boost. Wideband will require you to have a bung welded into your DP in order to have as well. Unless you already have an aftermarket DP that has an extra bung for a 2nd o2 sensor.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,541 Posts
I thought so mainframe I just was making sure.

I second oil temp and pressure. I would also consider a wide band as running lean seems to be a common issue here.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,813 Posts
I had a Defi boost gauge and AEM wideband. I also had the SMY cluster, which was awesome.

I used the analog output on the wideband to log directly the Tactrix OP2.0 I used for logging runs.

·
Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
Boost / WBO2 are the two most important gauges.

Are you doing an E85 tune to accompany the ID1000s? Flex fuel setup? They make ethanol gauges.

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately E85 is nowhere local to me. good old pump 93 for this guy. But after some consideration and thinking, and now knowing that boost gauge on the accessport is accurate, I think Im going with the wideband and oil pressure gauges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.