ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the subaru dealership where i bought my STi there was a young salesman who was driving a 2011 black STi, same year as mine just different color, he said he had his "re-tuned" he said a stock one runs about 14.2 PSI and when a re-tune is done, it runs around 25 PSI. so i was wondering one, how much is a re-tune usually, two, does this make my car alot less reliable, 3, does this void warranty?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I highly doubt he's running 25PSI.

A reflash changes the parameters of the ECU. It can cause a warranty claim to be denied.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not knowing what all he did to "retune" I'm going to assume his car is taken care of by the dealer because he is an employee. We would never be able to get that close ... My guess is technically he's voided but bc he's an employee thats his loop hole - service looks out for him . But I could be wrong just my .02

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
dealers dont re-tune.. and most dont even have the capability to do so.

Me 3 on the 25psi remark..

"tuning" can be done in several ways. Either open source (where one buys a cable and gets software for a pc allowing connection to ecu to save data, manipulate that data and re-load to the ecu *also called "reflashing"*

or

Cobb tuning offers a unit called a "access port" or "ap" as commonly refered. This does the same funcitons as above and also adds some other convenient features. Its often more easily used by novice enthusiasts. Because it comes with upgraded maps pre-installed called "off the shelf" or "OTS" maps in various stages according to physical mods done there is very little guesswork. Cobb also has software available to allow manipulation of the ecu maps that are stored on the ap.

Either option can be used to "re-tune" .. which you choose depends on your needs and skill level. Personally I use the AP, however I do my own tuning using their ATR software. The ots maps are .. well they're ok but definitely not anything to get excited about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts