ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently did something to my car. a local shop said i need a motor because it is going to cost me way more to have someone take my EJ205? all the way down and see what is broken and what can be salvaged.. I have been doing some research online and I'm still not %100 positive what my options are. Any information will be helpful.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
EJ205 (most cost effective, as you can likely keep your tranny and drive line unless they are toasted too)
EJ207 (you might need new bolt-on and accessories, will need new ECU and likely tranny)
EJ255 (you will need new bolt-on and accessories, will need new ECU and likely tranny)
EJ257 (you will need new bolt-on and accessories, will need new ECU and likely tranny)

Hell, you could even shoe-horn an H6 in there if you got creative...all depends on budget, time, and skill

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Why would he need a new tranny?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thankyou.. that gives me a really good starting point.. as far as i know my tranny and everything els is ok.. what exactly do you mean when you say new (bolt on and accessories) iv been looking on ebay and I'm finding a lot of JDM motors.. is a JDM motor not a good idea as opposed to a USDM motor.. or does it not really make a difference.. i know using the EJ205 will be the easiest because it is exactly what i have right now.. but its proving fairly difficult to find an EJ205 just like the one i have.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
When you start talking JDM motor, then you're getting into new wiring ($1000), new ECU ($400?).. that's obviously not going to be the cheapest route. Not to mention you will probably have a hell of a time getting it to pass inspection because of the Japanese ECU.

Are your heads still good? If so you could build some sort of hybrid. The heads on your engine are by far the most valuable part, and are what needs to be retained to be able to use your existing wiring, sensors, and ECU. (unless you want to splice a custom wiring kit, which is expensive once again, not to mention a major headache)

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
If your heads are fine, and you're looking for cheap and reliable, I would just buy a new ej205 shortblock from Subaru. Have a trusted machine shop go over the heads and deck them if needed, and you'll be good to go.

Of course you'll still probably want to replace a host of things (assuming you spun a bearing or something similar). You're going to want a new oil cooler, new oil pump, new water pump, new pulleys and tensoners, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see thats the thing.. I'm still not 100% sure what even wrong.. the shop i took it too said they got it started for a couple seconds it it was making really loud sounds and there "boss" said to shut it off... the guy said my engine was turning over really really hard and said that it would cost me out the ass for him to take it apart and figure out exactly whats wrong.. so idk if my heads are even good.. i have a buddy that said we could take it out. get it all apart and look at what all is wrong but that gets me straight back into rebuilding what i have ..assuming it could even be rebuilt.. thats why i was kind hoping i could just take mine out and pop a used 40,000 mile or so USDM motor in it and plug everything back in. simply because i really don't know a lot about my WRX.. i have had a 71 mustang coup with a 302.. 3 speed on the floor as my high school car and then i sold it and bought a 01 mustang GT with a 4.6 that i did a lot of random bolt on work on.. headers, throttle body, cold air intake, suspension, underdrive pulleys, hypertech power programer, etc.. and now i have this 02 wrx that i honestly love! i have had to re teach my self everything i knew about driving crazy simply because of the AWD.. its just a totally different kind of car.. and I'm really exited about learning and becoming the "wrx guy" but after having my bone stock 02 wrx for 8 months with 114,000 miles on it.. this happens.. what really happened is i was getting on it.. not really hard but more than usual.. i had hit 100mph faster than usual more than once that day .. but on the highway i was goin around 65 with my cruse set and my music up and i felt a real lag in power.. so i put in it into 4th hit the gas ...same thing.. so i turned the music down and hit the gas again in forth and my motor was making a loud clicking/ thunking noise.. then died 30 seconds later.. it was then i had it towed to a shop that dosent really specialize in imports.. just a close, easy to get to, nice guys shop .. and they charged me for an our and a half of work took the plastic covers off the front of my belts.. took one belt off.. and some radiator hoses.. told me that i need a new engine and started quoting 6, 7, 8,000$ swaps and rebuilds to me .. so i paid for the hour and a half and put my car in my garage .. and now I'm actually digging as deep as i can to make my baby run again

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
My guess would be that you spun a bearing..

Regardless, it should cost more than twice as much to remove and replace the engine than to tear it down once it's out. And whatever you decide to do (short of selling the car) you're going to have to remove and replace the engine.. so you might as well pull the heads off and have someone check them out. The shortblock wasn't worth much in the first place, so you could probably just scrap it without bothering to crack it open.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Why would he need a new tranny?
I stated may need a new tranny because one: We don't know the current state of the tranny, and whether or not it can handle the added power of the higher output blocks.... and two: not completely positive if the '02 5spd will bolt directly to a 255/257 block (not sure if they have the same bolt pattern and spacings)

By new bolt-on and accessories I mean things like alternator, power steering pump, intake, hoses, etc. When you replace a short-block, or long-block the new one does not come with all these bits-n-pieces....depending on what block you choose, some may carry over, some might not. just something to plan for.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I stated may need a new tranny because one: We don't know the current state of the tranny, and whether or not it can handle the added power of the higher output blocks.... and two: not completely positive if the '02 5spd will bolt directly to a 255/257 block (not sure if they have the same bolt pattern and spacings)
nope...they all bolt up...

and for the record...you said likely :p

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I have a 02 wrx she runs pretty smooth but is approaching 220,000 im thinking about a motor swap but am unsire what to get..I figure if im doing it I might as well get a stronger motor..amd imformation will help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts