ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone studied in latin know what the word "prix" actually means? I tried to look it up in Webster.com with little success. I don't think it means price as in "prix fixe" (fixed price). And a Google search also simply turns up zillions of Grand Prix sites.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
svc said:
I think it's __x__ language for "race", but I don't know what language. Guess that doesn't help much...
:rolleyes:

good question!
See, that's what I originally posted, I said French for "race" although I tried to prove it but could not find the translator that could do it. I know that's what it is though. At least I'm pretty sure. Meh, whatever.

-Ryan

·
Registered
414 Posts
"Grand Prix" is French for "Big Prize." Most commonly associated with the first motor race of it's kind in France from Paris to Rouen in 1894. The "Big Prize" was 200 pounds according to an English publication, I am assuming the equivalent in francs was paid. The first event that was officially recognized as a "Grand Prix" took place at Le Mans in 1906. Now the term can be seen used to describe all sorts of competition from tennis to toilet paper rolling as well as a mid priced American sedan.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just thinking it could mean Big Money (Big Price) as in entry fee or award, before you posted, Nick. Big Prize does follow logically. Thanks Nick.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Roger, I am the only Nick, regardless of who else claims the name who whose mother decided that was a good sound name, or who decided their screen name would have Nick in it. Get it right or pay the price!

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
Roger, I am the only tard, regardless of who else claims the status or whose mother was punched in the stomach durring pregnancy, or who decided their screen name would have tard in it. Get it right or pay the price!

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
Roger, I am the only Nick...
Nick C.
No, you're Nick C. He has the same last initial as you hooser, ay?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
When ry-guy(gheyest name ever!) was in middle school, a bully made him eat dog poo in front of all his classmates, and he's been bitter since.

Nick C.
You know, it didn't taste half bad though. It was really the smell that got to me.

-Ryan

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'M YOUR FATHER said:
Roger, I am the only Nick, regardless of who else claims the name who whose mother decided that was a good sound name, or who decided their screen name would have Nick in it. Get it right or pay the price!

Nick C.
Join the dark side, Luke...;)

You finally figured it out, Nick C. and Nick C. are one and the same. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts