Subaru WRX Forum banner

Whata re your hp (at the crank) goals?

• stock and beautiful (and warranty friendly)

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 250 hp (just freeing up what's already there)

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • 300 hp (new turbo club)

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • 350 and up (yup, a BEAST!)

Votes: 36 31.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as far as I can tell, it looks like those who do performance mods (or are planning to), are either aiming for 250, 300, or 350 hp. And before people start that "hp vs whp"...I mean at the crank (mainly because is more commonly referenced). Also for those ready to throw in "what about torque?" question, well...since torque isn't referenced very often, I left it out (mainly cause I'm not sure what those numbers are for most people). PLease feel free to enlighten.

My Q is, what are your hp goals and why?

I tried to start a similar discussion in an earlier thread, but I don't think it was clear.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. It looks like people are just voting. Which is cool.

I'd really like to know why people have the HP goals they do. What keeps you from going for more? Cost? Engine life concerns? Driveability? Fuel Economy???

I'm new to engine mods so there's a lot I don't know. My goal is to be just as quick and fast (if not faster) than any stock car around or below $50K. I don't plan to race, but justing knowing the power is there is what "floats my boat" :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the poll is generally showing a trend of people taking it "easy" as opposed to all out. The reason, I'd imagine, is that for most people, the WRX is a daily driver. This means, among others things, that it should be reliable (gotta make those payments) yet fun to drive (hense the mods). Going BIG time with the mods would ultimately sacrifice drivability and reliability. My $0.02

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I guess I'd put my goals somewhere between 250 and 300. Just because I think 250 is REALLY easy. My goal is less turbo lag, more torque, and holding boost all the way to redline. And 200k+ mile longevity. I think this goal will eventually lead me to a small aftermarket turbo - I'm not sure which offhand (haven't been paying too much attention since that is a way off) but I believe it is possible to reduce lag and get a bit more flow at the same time. With this setup in mind I wouldn't run a lot of boost - I think you could maintain the reliability while increasing performance by keeping temperatures lower with a more efficient turbo.

The why: first of all, the WRX is damn fast stock. More power just means a craving for more power. My bike doesn't feel particularly fast to me anymore, but it will turn a sub-11 second 1/4. Second, I like to keep my cars a LONG time. I plan to have this car at least 10 years. And finally, I do a lot of mountain driving and canyon carving so lack of lag and more torque are more important to me. I have absolutely no interest in drag racing. Going in a straight line is just dead boring to me. The road to faster canyon times is suspension and brakes.

I figure 260 horse of flexible power combined with great suspension and brakes and the WRX's awesome chassis puts into the supercar league.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I do not have much money to spend on my car and I am mostly interested in Autocrossing and hard driving on the street. With that in mind, I need to spend money on wheels/tires/swaybars/endlinks/springs/etc. As far as the engine is concerned I want my engine bay to look generally stock. I am building my own intake (hacked resonator, velocity stack and panel filter, its almost done), MBC @ 15.2 psi, I will do an uppipe (have it already just need to install it), lightened crack pully, IC hoses, and eventually a downpipe. I do not want to kill the engine and I do not want to get out of hand with power and money. Since I am interested in AutoX and street performance, I want the car to be a beast in first and second gear mostly. I am more interested in how fast I can get to 60mph than how fast my 1/4 time is. Low to mid 13s in the 1/4 is just fine for me if I can bust times in the area of 4.5 sec from 0-60mph. I do not worry so much about the HP number, just how hard the car pulls of the line and how hard it pulls out of corners. That is my general plan.

-joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
To the max! Just kidding!

The WRX is at that 330 hp mark already and we love it. The final step to get us at 350 would be either the FMIC or upgraded TMIC. My wife loves her Type-RFL BOV and doesn't want to lose it. I like the aggressive look and better performance of the FMIC. Ultimately, I'll leave the decision to her since she drives it most of the time. After that, we should be good to go with power. Then, it's the brakes we have to upgrade, possible the clutch and flywheel as well.

As far as why, we are power junkies and it feels so good to stomp on the gas pedal and erase an e46 M3 from the rearview mirror. Then again, I'm pushing 480 hp on the M Roadster and the 330 hp of the WRX doesn't really scare me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For now I just want to open up the power available. Haven't had the car for long and don't want to run into an issue with SOA voiding warranies for removing CATs. In time, and if the cash flow allows, I want to hit the 300hp mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the car is fast now but it couldn't hurt to be faster....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who are heavily modded (basically new turbo),

how did you decide what to get?

BAsed upon good deals available?

BAsed upon stage kits?

Based upon current budget restraints?

Or did you figure out your performance goals (ie 0-60, 1/4 mi, of as fast as Z06?), then calculated the required hp and torque, then chose the appropriate turbo w/ supporting mods???

Thanks again for contributing.

dan.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey Dan,

Well it's a question of what you really want in a car.

Learning to drive it well? Or stomping every car on the street?

Learning to drive the car well and be in control of its power, you really wouldn't need all that power.
W/ 225hp 216lbs/ft in my car, I'm more than happy with it, and I still haven't mastered the car and its demons yet!
Sure I would like more spunk in it, but that's not likely to make me a better driver.

Stomping every car at the stop light requires blobs of power. If your only concern is to go straight, then 300hp and more would be what you are looking for. With this in mind, you can skimp on the suspension mods, afterall, you're only going to go straight. Mod the engine and brakes.

If you are like MRoadster+WRX and are power junkies, then well...nothing will satisfy :)

Before you mod too much, learn the limits of your car and yourself, attend an autocross or rally cross in your area. It'll give you at least a foundation of what you think you like more in your car.

Just my 02cent

-your pal
LostLamb

·
Registered
96 Posts
TurbeauxREX said:
I'm at 230 HP and 229 Tq at the wheels, so that's like what, maybe 290 at the crank.

I'm happy.:D :D

Peace,

Curtis
I'm just a few WHP over you and also very happy. It's nice to have a 4cyl. car that can do 0-60 in under five seconds. Especially one that's made by Subaru:) .

·
Registered
538 Posts
O-wood said:

I'm just a few WHP over you and also very happy. It's nice to have a 4cyl. car that can do 0-60 in under five seconds. Especially one that's made by Subaru:) .
Right on! 4.79 0-60 is sweet. If it weren't for highway driving, I wouldn't even need 4th & 5th gear. For me the thrill is in the short bursts.:D

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can give a little insight from modding my SS. Stock the SS was very fast considering the price and the competition. Mid 13 quarter at around 105 or so, 160 top speed. However, I wanted to gun for the higher priced cars such as Vettes and eventually Vipers. I started with 312rwhp stock and am now at about 365 ( need to get a new dyno ). This puts me at approx. 415 at the crank and I can say I'm pretty much faster than anything I have come up against on the street. My next mods, and probably my final for awhile will be a heads/cam pkg and should put me to about 420rwhp. I want the car to sound mostly stock and to maintain the stock drivability as well. I do a little bit of drag racing, am interested in road racing, but mainly do the highway thing up to 100-120mph. To be honest, I don't get much action in the car whether it be just from the looks of it or the sound of the headers/exhaust when I downshift to 3rd @ 70mph, I don't know.

When I get the WRX, I am pretty sure the only mods I am going to do will be some 17" wheels and tinted windows. The car will be my wife's and be plenty quick for her. Now if anyone can point me in the direction of some cheap mods she won't know about, I'm all ears ;)
JeffR

·
Registered
166 Posts
JeffR said:
I can give a little insight from modding my SS. Stock the SS was very fast considering the price and the competition. Mid 13 quarter at around 105 or so, 160 top speed. However, I wanted to gun for the higher priced cars such as Vettes and eventually Vipers. I started with 312rwhp stock and am now at about 365 ( need to get a new dyno ). This puts me at approx. 415 at the crank and I can say I'm pretty much faster than anything I have come up against on the street. My next mods, and probably my final for awhile will be a heads/cam pkg and should put me to about 420rwhp. I want the car to sound mostly stock and to maintain the stock drivability as well. I do a little bit of drag racing, am interested in road racing, but mainly do the highway thing up to 100-120mph. To be honest, I don't get much action in the car whether it be just from the looks of it or the sound of the headers/exhaust when I downshift to 3rd @ 70mph, I don't know.

When I get the WRX, I am pretty sure the only mods I am going to do will be some 17" wheels and tinted windows. The car will be my wife's and be plenty quick for her. Now if anyone can point me in the direction of some cheap mods she won't know about, I'm all ears ;)
JeffR
I love the sound of that SS under full throttle, even in stock form! What a rumble! Like you, my wife is the primary pilot for the WRX and it's like pulling teeth to steel that car from her. :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I simply want a WRX with higher HP and higher torque to equal out just a little higher of that than a Lan-Evo. Intending on about 300 or a little higher on power, and I'd like to raise up the torque, and drop it's peak to about 2600rpm, so it's just slightly lower than the Evo. Widen the gear ratio, and wipe out the rev and speed limiters. Then from there... Who knows.
My project?

To outright, totally outclass any stock Lan-Evo, American or Japanese.

~ Dan (Zapix)

PS: Bring the Evo V here, and I'd be reversing that to wipe out any 04 and higher WRX STi!

·
2,210 Posts
I have close to 400HP at the flick of a switch which feels pretty quick. I guess my next goal would be to get closer to that number when off the bottle. That and I want to maintain reliability.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
I basically wanted STi figures , handling and above all round driveability, balance and reliability :)

i upgraded the turbo, up-pipe, down-pipe, installed a electronic boost controller, air-fuel controller,fuel pump, prodrive ecu, 4 pot calipers, dba front rotors,prodrive /STi suspension, cusco anti-roll bars, lightenend fly-wheel and uprated STi clutch.
and ended up with 262 hp and 262 lb/ft torque at the wheels :)

Andy...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I want between 320 and 350, or between about 250-270 at the wheels. I'm about half way there as I'll still need an upgraded turbo and fuel system but have freed up all the factory 'restrictions' that come with our cars - removed silencer w/ k&n filter, samco hoses, uppipe, turboback exhuast, and a dyno tuned Unichip (I've tried maps, this is the only way to go!). I've been thinking of that Ion upgraded turbo, a VF34, or the Cobb SR30 for my turbo upgrade, but I can't spend too much $$$ as I'm fairly limited there. Now, I'm actually considering waiting till we get more news on the new STi, I'm sure adding those beautiful new factory made headers and the new twin scroll turbo that fits up to them would be nice. I'm sure those will eventually be over here for our cars...;)

So what do I still need to complete my project of a reliable stoplight terror that loves a mountain road and gets me around in the snow?

Power wise I need: an upgraded turbo, fuel injectors/pump/rails, and that new APS TMIC whenever Cobb decides to offer it. BTW, the fuel and upgraded TMIC are protection and reliability mods

Suspension wise I need: to finally install that Anti-Lift Kit and those Z rates on 17's I have sitting in my garage, Tein lowering spings, front and rear strut bars, and some endlinks to go with the cusco swaybars

Brake wise I need: everything! The stockers are the weakest performance aspect of the car, and they really show with another 100 hp and an upgraded suspension.

So those are the goals I have with my car. What I just described could cost anything from 4-7k, so I can't afford to go much faster while maintaining some reliability. I also can't afford many appearence upgrades either since I just can't justify money spent on things that don't add to the performance, so I think I'll be limited to a front lip (hey, it increases downforce. It increases downforce ;) ), the STi hood scoop, and the tint I've already got. Those are the goals for my car, I hope to have them all completed in 2 years or so. Until then, I'll be fine with my 230 whp, thank you very much:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not have any concrete goals. I just go from day to day on the street. I intended on keeping my car stock, but that all changed when I got whooped by a Mustang GT from a roll. Next was the Honda S2K, and that was the last straw! I got a CAI, then a BOV. After realizing that my position on the food chain had not changed with these mods, I got serious, and picked up an EBC to raise boost. This kept me going for a while, and put me on a more even footing against the competition. I later found that I still could not convinsingly whoop on the aformentioned cars yet. I decided to go the next round in upgrades. I got rid of my Magnaflow axleback, picked up a 5Zigen catback system, and then picked up a TBXS DP and a unichip in the process. By the time I was done, I was at Stage 2, and pumping out 225 to all 4 wheels. Now, I am happy that I can take out the Mustang GT and even the S2K at it's own game.....racing from a roll. But then, I have recently decided that it would be nice nice for me to extend the same courtesy to Camaro SS owners as well.

I also thought that it would be nice to get some M3 owners in the process too. That is what I am working towards. Not sure if the VF34 will do the job, or perhaps the VF22. After seeing a video of a Supra with one of those huge honkin single turbos run in town (a non-highway setting where they are so effective), one thing is for sure.... I thought our turbo lag sucks with our cars....... those Supra owners have it worse with their single turbo cars. Those things take almost 4 seconds to spool up from a normal launch from a stop....
All in the name of saying that they have 500-1000RWHP, and smoke lambos on the highway???? Heck, from what I have seen, a 160HP Mini Cooper S could whoop one of those things in town. Absolutely ZERO bottom end until they hit almost 5000RPM, then the turbo wakes up, then they have to shift again at 7000RPM. Great for racing on the highway, but absolutely useless in town... no thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts