Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing all sorts of stuff about the IHI VF30 turbo working great as a daily driver turbo for the WRX. It is used by the Group N rally racers and lots pretty interesting. It isn't a ball bearing turbo, however and that bothers me a bit. Any info and/or opinions would be appreciated.

-Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
The VF30 is a nice turbo, but i still think the FP hybrid is better than any of the VF series setups. The VF30 spools somewhere between the FP hybrid, and the PE1818. On the stock injectors they are all going to do about the same HP, but the FP hybrid is going to have a much better torque curve.

With injectors... well we don't know for sure what they can do just yet.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The VF30 isn't a ball bearing? I thought like the VF22, ie that entire series from IHI is sort of like first gen ball bearings...with the 28 and 30 being like 22 compressor with 24 turbine. I'm probably very mistaken......

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
schischwein said:
The VF30 isn't a ball bearing? I thought like the VF22, ie that entire series from IHI is sort of like first gen ball bearings...with the 28 and 30 being like 22 compressor with 24 turbine. I'm probably very mistaken......
The VF30 is most definitely not a BB turbo. All of the literature states this right away.

-Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can we turn this thread into "what do you think of the IHI VF22?"
:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't forget the, "How about the VF29?". If ~300hp is your target, this (or the FP hybrid), would be the one to do it with.

jb

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Just get a vf39 or vf34, easier to find and make good power.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey, i want to be a senior member too. maybe im 6 years too late?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
O crap this is an old thread, I was like VF30?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts