Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys whats up, just so you know I come in a peacefull nature and I highly respect your cars so lets try to keep this in a peacefull nature.

Now I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima, it is equipped with a 6spd transmission. I have a lot of mods but here are just my power mods. I have a intake, high flow cat and a cat-back exhaust system. The car dynoed 215 FWHP and 231 FWTQ SAE corrected. A stock 6spd max puts down 198-203 FWHP and 220 FWTQ.

I took the car to the track once and under horrible conditions I did a 14.5 @ 98 MPH, my 60 foot was tererible at 2.44. i have light weight 18's(19.5 lbs) with Kumhos.

Now to the event on hand. A few weeks back I saw a real nice looking WRX on the road. He drove by going about 45 MPH when I was merging out of a gas station. I floored it out after him and when I was a about a car behind him he went WOT, but at this point I was going about 5-10 MPH faster then him. Of course on a roll my car has a lot more power so I flew right by him and quickly put a few car lenths on him. Of coarse this whas by no means a fair race because I had momentem and we all know the WRX's sweat spot is from a stop, not 50 a MPH roal.

So anyways the guy with the WRX is a friend of a friend and he wants a re-match. This time we are going to run from 0-100 MPH. This race is slated for Monday or Tuesday of next week.

The WRX is a 5spd, it has a aftermarket BOV and he removed a cat. What do you guys think about this race? I have a feeling if this guy does not do a perfect launch I will definatly take him by 100 MPH. If he has a great launch (5000 RPM drop) he is going to take a real nice lead over me at first. Now I am wondering if he does know how to drive with the best of them will I catch up?

What do stock or slitely modded WRX's put down to the wheels and what are there 1/4 mile times usualy?

BTW I saw that Altima thread and I hope this does not turn into that.

Thanks for your input guys and I will post the results when they come.

·
895 Posts
i raced a maxima (or altima..uhoh i forget) when i was at the 1/4 one time. we ran a few times together, but i consistently beat him every time. although the car's not fast, i was suprised at how quick the car was, even off the line

he too was running 18s and kumhos i think

·
Registered
242 Posts
Emax, you post on the altimas.net forums don't you? Your username looks familiar.

Stock WRX's are running 14.4's at like 96 mph. If he bogs his launch you should beat him to 100 mph. However, if he gets a strong launch, he'll probably pull 2-3 car lengths on you and you probably won't be able to dial him in after that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flyboy said:
Emax, you post on the altimas.net forums don't you? Your username looks familiar.

Stock WRX's are running 14.4's at like 96 mph. If he bogs his launch you should beat him to 100 mph. However, if he gets a strong launch, he'll probably pull 2-3 car lengths on you and you probably won't be able to dial him in after that.
Hey dude, I post on altimas.net once in a while. They have the same engine and all so i always keep an eye on what there up to over there :D I'm on maxima.org usualy when i'm on the net.

So this looks like it is going to be one hell of a race then, definatly up to the driver. From what my friend says he thinks the guy is a ok driver and that he did not do much to his car. My friend seems to think I will take him but I'm not to sure about it.

The best stock maxima time is 14.23 @ 99, that guy got a a 2.1 60 foot compared to my 2.4. Average 1/4 mile for a stock or slitely modded 6 spd max is 14.4-14.6 from 95-98 MPH.

BTW I am putting headers on and a Y-pipe soon but this won't be in time :( I have been waiting for my Y-pipe to come in now for about 3 weeks! Argh..

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SobeWRX said:
does he have a MBC??? if he does and the cat he removed was on the uppipe then you are in trouble.
Sorry I don't know exactly what that is(MBC)? If that meens manual Boost control then I don't think he has that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
An MBC and uppipe should put him in the high 13's so he probably doesn't have one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Emax, that is a nice look Maxima you have there. I really like how the rims look on it. My mother just turned in her leased 99 Maxima and purchased a new SE with Auto. I haven't even seen it yet. She just picked it up last Friday (she lives about 45 minutes from me so I don't get a chance to see her too often anymore). My brother still has his 99. It is a 5 spd. They are excellent cars. It is one of the cars at the top of my list for when it comes time to replace my S4. Just depends what is around in a couple years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Respectfully,

I would eat your Maxima for breakfast.

-Jim
I bet, but the question is, could you hang with a turboed maxima running 16 PSI? :D We have one at maxima .org , with 12 PSI he put down 350 FWHP and about the same amount of TQ. He is running 15 PSI last I heard.

2001S4, thank you :) . S4's are at the top of my list. I looked at a few but it was just to much for me to spend on a used car.

Hey guys how much HP do you guys put down to the wheels stock? About 175-180 right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PlatinumWRX said:
Respectfully,

-Jim
I just noticed your trap is the same as mine :D If I caught you on a roll i think I would be doing the eating ;) Particular after 100 MPH

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nissans are nice. If I didn't get a WRX it would've been an SE Max. After I get tired of my WRX it may be a G35 coupe! :D

·
895 Posts
Emax02 said:

Hey guys how much HP do you guys put down to the wheels stock? About 175-180 right?
yup. more or less, varying car by car.

my car probly puts somewhere around 200? b/c of the vishnu kit, but i havnt had it dynoed yet

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, you will beat him if you get a good launch. I think you will start to reel him back in if he gets a good launch. If he has a MBC then he will probably win. Otherwise you win. Good luck and post the results.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Respectfully,

-Jim
Respectfully, so will I.

Respectfully, a mildly modded WRX, IMHO with a good launch, no bogging, will also. If you are racing on the street and you actually get up to 100 then you might reel in on him, but beating him? I dont think so. But thats my opinion. And I dont usually race to those speeds. But who knows, anything can happen!

And please bless us with the results when you finally get down to business.

Safe racing

FACTION

·
Registered
116 Posts
Emax...

I think you have a pretty damn good chance against that WRX. Ive seen my friends race their WRX's against cars that are supposed to be slower such as SSEI's and those cars kept right up with them cause the WRX's couldnt get a 1-2 car lead on them from the start. It all depends on what kinda start the WRX gets. I raced a corvette, 2002 6 speed, and i got a 2 car length jump on it, we stopped at the end of 3rd gear, which is 90+ and i was still about half a car ahead. The vette wasnt even really pulling, im sure if i put it into 4th, he would have slaughtered me, but he still wouldnt have caught up till 100+ i would imagine. All i have done is 2 cat's removed. WRX's are not fast in stock form, ive gotten blown away by stock Cobra's like i was standing still when i was stock. But with just those 2 mods, which cost me about 450$, i honestly belive i can beat a stock LS1 (not a factory freak) to atleast the top of 3rd gear, or 96 mph or whatever it is. I have raced stock LS1 Z28's from a roll, we went from 15mph till 70mph and i was right along side of them, they were not pulling on me, not yet atleast, and then we stopped, it was a 30 mph road. Basically what im saying is, your maxima is a fast car, no doubt about that, but it is no match for a lightly modded WRX such as mine, unless we roll at 30 mph, and take it till like 110mph or something ridiculous like that. But if that guy only has 1 cat taken off, u got a pretty damn good chance, especially since u are modded pretty well. If you can pull off a 2.0-2.1 60', then i seriously think u might take him, especially since u are going to 100. If he jumps you by more than 1 car tho...u are prolly screwed. Nevertheless, i believe racing should be for fun, and it doesnt matter if u lose or win. Ive lost some, and i have won lots, but i dont think it matters that much if u win or lose, as long as u have fun :). Once i raced viper in my parents van...he was atleast 50 cars ahead, but man, i had a BLAAST, hehe, my friends were all laughing, but whatever ;). Have fun, and tell us the results, i think it will be a great matchup.

-Bobby D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Emax...

BobbyD said:
I think you have a pretty damn good chance against that WRX. Ive seen my friends race their WRX's against cars that are supposed to be slower such as SSEI's and those cars kept right up with them cause the WRX's couldnt get a 1-2 car lead on them from the start. It all depends on what kinda start the WRX gets. I raced a corvette, 2002 6 speed, and i got a 2 car length jump on it, we stopped at the end of 3rd gear, which is 90+ and i was still about half a car ahead. The vette wasnt even really pulling, im sure if i put it into 4th, he would have slaughtered me, but he still wouldnt have caught up till 100+ i would imagine. All i have done is 2 cat's removed. WRX's are not fast in stock form, ive gotten blown away by stock Cobra's like i was standing still when i was stock. But with just those 2 mods, which cost me about 450$, i honestly belive i can beat a stock LS1 (not a factory freak) to atleast the top of 3rd gear, or 96 mph or whatever it is. I have raced stock LS1 Z28's from a roll, we went from 15mph till 70mph and i was right along side of them, they were not pulling on me, not yet atleast, and then we stopped, it was a 30 mph road. Basically what im saying is, your maxima is a fast car, no doubt about that, but it is no match for a lightly modded WRX such as mine, unless we roll at 30 mph, and take it till like 110mph or something ridiculous like that. But if that guy only has 1 cat taken off, u got a pretty damn good chance, especially since u are modded pretty well. If you can pull off a 2.0-2.1 60', then i seriously think u might take him, especially since u are going to 100. If he jumps you by more than 1 car tho...u are prolly screwed. Nevertheless, i believe racing should be for fun, and it doesnt matter if u lose or win. Ive lost some, and i have won lots, but i dont think it matters that much if u win or lose, as long as u have fun :). Once i raced viper in my parents van...he was atleast 50 cars ahead, but man, i had a BLAAST, hehe, my friends were all laughing, but whatever ;). Have fun, and tell us the results, i think it will be a great matchup.

-Bobby D
Very well said, hopefully the guy get's the gitters and bogs, lol. Either way like you said it is all in good fun.

I also raced a 99ish Camaro SS, this one was a convertible auto though. We raced from 0-60, he had the top down and one passenger in the car. I actualy took the guy by a nose off the line and held my lead up to 60 MPH. I would have kept going but I had technical diffucultys, lol..

·
Registered
116 Posts
really...thats very impressive if you stayed even with a SS camaro. Those cars are definatelly no joke. When i was stock i got my ass handed to me by a cobra, and those are about as fast as an SS. He would have for sure reeled u in after 70+, those things have higher trap speeds than me, and you. My only advantage is that i can get possibly a 1-2 car jump. But i have raced people before, and i could only get about a half a car jump on them. Whenever i read about people get 3 car jumps on LS1 cars or similar performers, i kinda shake my head. Its really damn hard to launch so well that u get 2 cars on a powerful RWD car. Unless of course, u just drop the clutch, but that isnt an option for me, i baby my transmission...i already lost one at 3000 miles. So when i slip it, i have to do it perfect to get a 1-2 car jump, or else i just barelly get a half car jump, which just sucks unless the car im racing is slower than me from a roll. After taking out the 2 Cats i can afford getting bad jumps, since my trap speed is prolly at about 100mph now, and this is without the MBC...which is sitting on my counter ;). If i were you, i would do some burnouts, to make your tires sticky, and then i would try to get a really good hookup, and only let the WRX get a 1/2 car lead. I believe u will reel him in if he is only half a car ahead, especially after 60+. Good luck, and dont hope he bogs, cause then its not really a fair race...a fair race is when both of you get the best launches u can get, or pretty damn near close to it, so make sure u do it a couple of times if u mess up the first few. Oh and do it soon, i really wanna know how the race goes :).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts