ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to just keep my Legacy wagon and modify it. I'm working on the suspension, transmission, and the stopping idea first:D . I just bought 17 in Rota Tarmac I (gold) with Falken Ziex ZE-512 from subydude. Next, in about 1 or 2 or 3 days I'm going to buy... STi short throw shifter kit, PDM short throw shifter, Tein Ha Coilover Kit, Tein Edfc Unit, STi 294 MM 4 Pot Brake Kit (maybe (probably will hold off on those)), intake (don't know which one), strut bar (don't know which one), and an Invidia muffler (or full exhaust system). What does everyone think? Any other suggestions on anything??? I'm getting everything from Flat4. Thats around 2 or 3 grand worth of stuff without install... but install is free as long as I travel down to Greely (can't spell, sorry). To sum everything up it would be great if you would tell me if I'm heading in the right direction...

-Well See Ya Later-
:wiggles:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: What do you guys think about these mods that I'm about to buy????

mike270 said:
Why do you need both of these? AFAIK the STi kit replaces everything so you don't need the PDM shifter. You only need one or the other.:confused:
I've been told the STi shifter just makes the shifting smoother and doesn't actually shorten the throw... Like 4 or 5 people have told me that. That's why I was going to go with the PDM shifter also. I've driven a car with both and oh man... it was nice:D .

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The smoother shifting is most likely due to a stiffer bushing. I would just get a kartboy Short Shifter with bushings. I bet that would have nearly the same shifting feel for a lot less money.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jibco said:
What do you plan to do with it? Track? Budget?
What year is it? turbo?

For brakes. Try just pads and braided lines first.

Why two shifters? sounds like money wasted.

The coilovers sound sweet. Get a rear sway bar also.
I plan to one day race it at the track... after everything is done! My budget is well... lets just say I plan on doing things in spurts... like drop 2 or 3 grand in it and then wait a few months till I have money again. It's a 94 Legacy L NA model. I also plan on building a 2.5 engine with turbo legacy heads or a 2.2 turbo engine with 2.5 heads. Not sure if it will be turbo or na... if its turbo will go with the IHI VF-34 turbo That's probably the last thing I'll do though. The brakes idea... that's what Flat4 told me to do... so I think I will do that. Two shifters... answered that right above this post. Coilovers are definitely going to happen. Also will get a rear sway bar.

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mike270 said:
The smoother shifting is most likely due to a stiffer bushing. I would just get a kartboy Short Shifter with bushings. I bet that would have nearly the same shifting feel for a lot less money.
The question is though... Will it fit in my Legacy?

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mad WRX said:
This component replaces the stock shifter mount bushings in 1998-2005 model year Subaru vehicles, including Impreza RS, WRX (Including 6-speed STi), Outback Sport, Legacy, and Forester
Mines a 94 though:(

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jibco said:
If the "Sti short shifter" will go in, most the shifters should be compatible. Kartboy has two shifters. you'd want the earlier one. For the 98-01. You could take some measurements, I'm fairly certain those parts didn't change.

Good luck.
I'll look into it.

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jibco said:
What do you plan to do with it? Track? Budget?
What year is it? turbo?

For brakes. Try just pads and braided lines first.

Why two shifters? sounds like money wasted.

The coilovers sound sweet. Get a rear sway bar also.
Just Kidding... To answer the question more directly... My budget is around $2500-2653.

-Well See Ya Later-

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
e-mail Tom over at www.kartboy.com and tell him your situation, what shifting feel you are looking for and what car you have. I guarantee he will be able to what you need to do to get it to work out. I know people over on NASIOC that have put kartboy's into their early 90's legacy's so its just a matter of finding which one you need.

The people over there are awesome to deal with.:D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What happens if I want to be different, lol then the rest of the crowd:confused1 . So would you just then go with the kartboy and not the STi short throw shifter kit or would you go with the kartboy and the STi short throw shifter kit?

-Well See Ya Later-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts