Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have a 2017 WRX and I was wondering what exactly will I need to go stage 1 on the car. The car is completely stock. Also do you guys have any recommendations on which parts to get?

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
What stage 1? Stage 1 isn't a thing exactly it depends on the vendor. Some say a stage one is a remap, others a intake and a remap, and others yet just an intake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've seen a lot of videos and most of them say to get the cobb access port, intake, j pipe, and I believe a top mount intercooler. Often times they will say you'll need this, this, and this to go stage 2 etc. My goal is to get as much horsepower out of the fa20 as I can.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well I've seen a lot of videos and most of them say to get the cobb access port, intake, j pipe, and I believe a top mount intercooler. Often times they will say you'll need this, this, and this to go stage 2 etc. My goal is to get as much horsepower out of the fa20 as I can.
Tuning paired with an intake, j pipe, and tmic is considered stage 2. Personally, I say stage 1 is simply a tune for the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
stage 1 is basically just a tune. If you want to go stage one my suggestion would be to order your accessport from MAPerformance so you can at least use their stage 1 tune, which is pretty good. anything Jpipe and beyond is stage 2.

·
Registered
338 Posts
+1 for MAPerformance's tune Its included when you buy the AP from them and has all the cobb stuff too. MAP Stage 1 93 tune is way stronger than the Cobb's

·
Registered
338 Posts
What is "way stronger?" Being serious; I have not seen any chart for MA's tune nor seen actual dyno charts vs Cobbs. Do you have any actual data showing this? thanks.
Right on their website,
https://www.maperformance.com/colle...ots-tune-maperformance-stage-1-map-wrx-4g-ots
they show dyno charts of their 93 vs 91 and 93/91 vs COBBs. Looks to be about a 20-30 hp increase over COBB at the wheels.

Ive driven both 93 tunes on a new 17 WRX. The COBB smoothed out the powerband, no more ON/OFF/Falling on its face after 4000 rpms but it didnt feel much different than stock. IT just drove differently. Much more liveable.
MA's tune did the same but also pulls hard to redline and the power difference is really noticeable once past 30% throttle and 3000 rpms. I believe COBB target boost is 15 and MA is 20 so that may be the difference.
Im not banking on those HP numbers as every dyno is different, so is every car, so are conditions day to day but as I said, you can really feel the difference between the two.

You get all of COBBs tunes with the AP, MAperformance gives you their tune for free if you buy the AP from them. No reason to NOT get it from MA, try them both and pick what you like if you are going OTS. Im sure there are other OTS tunes but those two are the ones I have experience with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Right on their website,
https://www.maperformance.com/colle...ots-tune-maperformance-stage-1-map-wrx-4g-ots
they show dyno charts of their 93 vs 91 and 93/91 vs COBBs. Looks to be about a 20-30 hp increase over COBB at the wheels.

Ive driven both 93 tunes on a new 17 WRX. The COBB smoothed out the powerband, no more ON/OFF/Falling on its face after 4000 rpms but it didnt feel much different than stock. IT just drove differently. Much more liveable.
MA's tune did the same but also pulls hard to redline and the power difference is really noticeable once past 30% throttle and 3000 rpms. I believe COBB target boost is 15 and MA is 20 so that may be the difference.
Im not banking on those HP numbers as every dyno is different, so is every car, so are conditions day to day but as I said, you can really feel the difference between the two.

You get all of COBBs tunes with the AP, MAperformance gives you their tune for free if you buy the AP from them. No reason to NOT get it from MA, try them both and pick what you like if you are going OTS. Im sure there are other OTS tunes but those two are the ones I have experience with.
Good feedback for me to hear. I plan on the MAperformance tune after I burn my warranty a little more. The 4000rpm power drop is driving me nuts, however. I have no idea how that tune made it out of Subaru's door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
What is the afr they run on the map performance? I would air on the side of the fatter tune with a generic ots map

·
Registered
338 Posts
What is the afr they run on the map performance? I would air on the side of the fatter tune with a generic ots map

I looked at a few of his logs he did at WOT 3rd and 4th gear and from memory, remember seeing AFRs as low as lower 10s to low 11s. I dont know what they specifically program for or where but thats what I recall if that helps. He did say he noticed a 1-2mpg decrease after the flash. Unsure if it will come back after the ECU adjusts or if thats just a byproduct of running more fuel. Prob the latter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.