ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I am going about 45-50 m.p.h. into a right turn. I drop it into 2nd gear at hit it fairly hard.

The result is my front end kept sliding left out of the turn instead of into it & I had to hit the brakes to straighten it out.

It felt like I was sliding sideways.

If this helps this is my suspension mods:

18X7.5 wheels, Tein H Tech springs & a Cusco front strut bar.

What to do what to do???

J.D.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
sounds like understeer...upgrade your rear sway bar, and get some solid end links for the rear. that would be a good start. a rear strut bar might help...but I don't know if it will help much on a sedan. The '04 went to a 17mm rear sway bar...like the 02-03 wagons. I just got a 20mm on mine with the end links and it was a huge improvement. the front strut bar does VERY little on a WRX.

playing with dampening rates might help too.

when you downshift IN a turn you're effectively hitting the brakes. The tires only can only exert a finite amount of force on the ground. then you turn, all the force is used to turn. when you turn and brake, you have to split the force into turning and braking...once you surpass the total amount of force your tire can exert on the ground (through friction) it starts sliding. once your tire starts sliding the physics changes from static friction to dynamic friction which allows even LESS force to be exerted.

so...upgrade the rear a little (you can usually get a 20mm OE bar used for $0-$25 from a local Subaru shop or buy a new one for about $80 plus shipping...and there's a guy who sells solid end links on Ebay, they end up selling for about $50 a pair), AND try to get your speed down BEFORE you hit your corner, never brake in a turn to slow down, when you're half way out of the turn, hit the gas and start accelerating. The hardest part in cornering at high speeds is hitting the corner at the right speed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the feedback. By the way this is on a 2004 Wagon.

I was just researching the rear sway bars & noticed alot of people have bought the sedan 20mm RSB.

I also looked at a new Helix & Cusco and they are around $150.00

Would I be better getting the OEM Sedan 20mm RSB or paying $150.00 for a Cusco 22mm 3 way adjustable RSB??

J.D.

·
Registered
888 Posts
J.D. said:
So yesterday I am going about 45-50 m.p.h. into a right turn. I drop it into 2nd gear at hit it fairly hard.
Hit what fairly hard? The gas?

1st, get all your shifting done before you enter the turn. The car will be better balanced and will be faster through the turn. 2nd, hitting the throttle coming into a turn is a recipe for understeer in these cars.

I'd try to upgrade to a cheap 20mm bar before trying something bigger. But I'd work on your driving style first.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
yeah, learning to corner will definately make a difference.

as for 22mm vs. 20...

as you increase the rear stiffness, your car will start to oversteer instead of understeer. a lof of people complain that when they put in 22mm RSB's and nothing else they discovered the joys of fishtailing at inoppertune moments.

I have an 02 wagon and here's what I did:

20mm sedan RSB
solid drop links from Ebay (search "wrx links" to find the vendor...he usually sells them one at a time and they end up selling in the $50 range)
copy of a cusco V2 front underbrace from the same vendor as the end links.
front and rear strut tower braces (cheap ones from Ebay as well...paid like $50+shipping for the set...since you already have the rear, you can get the front for about $20).

the rear tower brace can be a pain of you need your trunk, but they come off REAL easy...i just keep 2 wrenches in my car tool kit so I can take them off, you'll also have to make some cuts in the trunk liner to make them fit and put the strut tower caps back on.

I have the standard 16" wheels with 225/50R16" and standard shocks and springs with 80K miles on them and I can take pretty sharp corners with very little tire squeal body flex or body roll at 30-40 MPH. you just can't brake or accelerate when entering the corner or you'll sliding no matter WHAT mods you got.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
the 20mm sedan rear bar w/the TEIN's seem to make the '04 wagon more balanced. i've also increased the front tire pressure a bit too.

from Ravensblade:
http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/techdocs/over-under/over-under.html

To Reduce Understeer or Increase Oversteer

Front tires:

Increase tire pressure in 2.5psi increments
Increase Section Width
Lower the Aspect Ratio
Reduce front tread depth

Rear Tires:

Reduce tire pressure in 2.5psi increments
Reduce section width
Install higher aspect ratio tires
Increase rear tread depth

Front Wheels:

Install wider wheels
Install lighter wheels

Rear Wheels:

Install narrower wheels
Install heavier wheels

Front Alignment settings:

Dial in more negative camber
Dial in More toe-out
Dial in more positive caster

Rear Alignment settings:

Dial in more positive camber
Dial in more toe-out (Same as front)

Anti-Sway bars:

Soften the Front
Stiffen the Rear

Spring rates:

Soften the Front
Stiffen the Rear

Shock absorbers:

Soften the Front
Stiffen the Rear

Suspension Bushings:

Soften the Front
Stiffen the Rear

Brake Proportioning

Reduce Front brake pressure
Increase rear pressure

Weight Distribution

Reduce front weight
Increase rear weight

Aerodynamics:

Increase Front Downforce
Reduce rear downforce

·
Registered
0 Posts
I put a 20mm sedan rear swaybar on my wagon and it made a big difference. Also, nobody has mentioned alignment... did you get a good alignment done when you did the springs?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
driggity is correct you've got to work on driving skills, all the suspension work in the world won't help if your not feeding the right inputs at the right time and doing smoothly to boot.

That said, the wagon already has a little more weight in the rear- that will help some. The enemic rear sway bar doesn't help, a 02 sedan rear bar will help.

Good alignment will help as well- increasing the front neg camber. Opening the toe up a little front and rear wil help as well.

Most spring upgrades increase the rear rates at a higher % than the fronts, this will help as well.

Oh yeah- wagons rock!:D

Big Sky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts