ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am new to this, I am new to subaru, I know nothing.
Subaru has been somewhere in my family forever. I currently drive a VW GTI. I am looking to buy a WRX and make it fast. I live in Seattle, I will drive to buy. I was looking at this one:

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Silver 5 speed manual. It is Silver, and is a 5 speed. It has a 2.0 litre turbocharged Subaru

BOXER engine and is All Wheel Drive (AWD). Has Cruise Control, Power Windows,

Power Locks, Fog Lights, Keyless Entry, 6 disk CD changer, as well as a

cassette player, Air Conditioning (AC), Heat, Bucket Seats, Tilt Steering.

The car has tinted windows and It Has 18 inch AMP rims, With Toyo Proxee Tires.

is that cool? or lame? I want it to be fast, look sick and be fun to drive. Like I said I know nothing about anything, help me out? What do I need to do to that to make it dialed? or should I look at something else.
Thanks
Looch

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
price? mileage? how many owners? any mods other than the wheels?

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
i wouldnt personally buy a car with that many miles. not saying that theres anything wrong with having that many (as long as it was well maintained, has service records, etc)

i'd look for something lower though

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
as far as price goes, thats actually REALLY low. i meant something that had lower mileage though =)

·
Banned
361 Posts
Ya the miles on that car are outrageous.

I'm curious how the GTI is handling for ya? I watched a Top Gear episode with those and they seem really nice.

If a WRX is that low in price it can mean there's more wrong with it and the owner just wants to get rid of it. Make sure there aren't any wrecks that have been listed under that car..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha the GTI is old! it was my grandpas, then my dads and now mine. its exactly 21years old with 312k miles on original motor. its a beast, I love it just want something more reliable. My mom and grandma swear by subarus so...

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
i loveee old GTI's

does it look like this?

sorry to go off topic haha. thats a picture i took at one of the large VW meets here in FL.

·
Registered
394 Posts
dude $9 grand for a car with 134K miles and is only 6 years old?? it doesn't take too much knowledge that that it is a total rip off. for like 5 grand more you can get an 04+ WRX with low miles. i would pass this one up and keep looking. asking for trouble on this one IMO.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Find one with lower miles

/thread

·
Banned
361 Posts
Wow that is ooolllddd... The GTI on the Top Gear episode I watched was brand spanking new. Plus there was a hybrid GTI that looked like it could kill babies but it couldn't brake and all of the knobs inside of it were a joke! Haha it's a nice episode, you should check it out!

·
Registered
700 Posts
If the car was well maintained and never heavily modified, that price is about right for those miles on an 02. It's a little low but that doesn't mean the car is mechanically unsound-- the interior or body could be whats driving the asking price down, which doesn't really matter in the long run.

If I was near you I would go check it out w/ you for sure-- they are many telltale signs that the car has been messed with.

What is your budget range? You should look into trying to pickup a used 06 or even better a used 04 STi.

·
Registered
700 Posts
dude $9 grand for a car with 134K miles and is only 6 years old?? it doesn't take too much knowledge that that it is a total rip off. for like 5 grand more you can get an 04+ WRX with low miles. i would pass this one up and keep looking. asking for trouble on this one IMO.
how much do you think WRXs are worth? 9 grand is not a ripoff for an 02 WRX. Anyone who has been in the WRX game knows that WRXs don't hold their value. My 04 w/ 50k on the clock was valued at $13,500 when I traded it in.

An 02 WRX with over 100k miles in excellent condition easily falls into the 9-10 grand price area if you are buying from a private seller. And 130k miles isn't bad for a well maintained subaru.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Beater Bugeye WRX = $9k
Wrecked STi transplant (JDM or USDM)= $8k
Labor = $4k

Badass STi swapped bugeye with full drivetrain, brakes, interior, ready to rock = $priceless (well, okay, that actually adds up to $21k, but you get my point)

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you buy a WRX and immediately decide that you made a mistake, you can find 10000000000 people looking for used bugeyes to resell it to. They are particularly easy cars to sell...

·
Registered
394 Posts
how much do you think WRXs are worth? 9 grand is not a ripoff for an 02 WRX. Anyone who has been in the WRX game knows that WRXs don't hold their value. My 04 w/ 50k on the clock was valued at $13,500 when I traded it in.

An 02 WRX with over 100k miles in excellent condition easily falls into the 9-10 grand price area if you are buying from a private seller. And 130k miles isn't bad for a well maintained subaru.
like i said in my opinion. and that is not just"over 100,000 miles" i wouldn't pay 9 grand for a car with that many miles on it especially with it only being 6 years old. well maintained or not. but i have seen 04+ even the 02's if that is the MY he is wanting with half as many miles for the same price. i would pay the $9000 for an 02 but not an 02 with 134,000 miles on it. but that is just MY OPINION

and like you said WRXs don't hold value. and you're 04 with 50,000 miles (so a car 2 years younger or just 4 years old per MY with 84,000 less miles) was quoted at only $4500 more than the car the OP is looking at.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
^ Remember, someone who puts 135k miles on a car in 6 years likely drove it a lot. A lot, as in, to work every day on the highway in 5th gear. Very rarely are stock high mileage cars beat on. They may need some replacement parts, but on the whole I think there are more "good condition" high mileage cars than "super modded/falling apart condition" high mileage cars.

·
Registered
394 Posts
true. it could have be driven to work on the highway in 5th gear which i would hope so with those miles on it. never raced. it could be majority highway miles which are less "harmful" (i guess you can say) than stop and go and better than cars that are modded / super-modded.

my mother-in-law has an 04 with upwards near 90,000 miles or so. drives 70+ miles to and from work highway.

My point being 134,000 miles is 134,000 miles. Personally i would keep looking for a car with lower miles. If i was dead set on an 02 i would pay the extra few thousand and get one in the 70-80,000 mile range. There are plenty out there Would gladly pay the few thousand more to get those 40,000 miles or so back.

Perhaps the $9000 asking is a good price for the car. KBB in good condition has similar vehicle at $8500. I'm still fairly new to the Subaru world moving from the Mitsubishi side. I would just keep looking around for one with lower miles.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
dude $9 grand for a car with 134K miles and is only 6 years old?? it doesn't take too much knowledge that that it is a total rip off. for like 5 grand more you can get an 04+ WRX with low miles.
1. How is this a ripoff? The price is appropriate for the mileage.
2. 5 grand more is another 35% more money. That's like saying that anybody that's looking to spend $20k on a car should always look for a car that's $32k because there's not much of a price difference. That doesn't make any sense!

^ Remember, someone who puts 135k miles on a car in 6 years likely drove it a lot. A lot, as in, to work every day on the highway in 5th gear. Very rarely are stock high mileage cars beat on. They may need some replacement parts, but on the whole I think there are more "good condition" high mileage cars than "super modded/falling apart condition" high mileage cars.
Absolutely agree 100%. Most people that rack up this many miles in this few years usually take good car of their cars and it's mostly going to be highway miles. If $9k is your budget, then you could do a lot worse than this car. Just make sure to get it inspected by a mechanic and see if you can get any service records.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts