ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i was driving home from out of town in my 07 sti. i was bored......... uhhh soo i gave it a little gas. i was going 80 and i got up to 120 and i heard a little waist gate flutter then PSHHHHHHHHHHH my engine light came on right away and this is what my accessport read.

P0244
TURBO CHARGER
WASTEGATE SOLENOID "A"
RANGE/PERFORMANCE

by the way im running stage 2 accessport with a cob intake and invidia up and turbo back.

the rest of the way home i made sure i didnt boost, or tried to at least. i stayed in really low rpms......... ug i feel really stupid. HELP????!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
Are you running a catless setup?

Sounds like you overboosted. I'm guessing you missed the memo that cobb has plastered all over their site about the issues with the 07's running catless on their OTS map?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nooo i dont have a after market boost controller.. and i have no idea how i missed that information on cobbs website i go there all the time :unhappy: .. but yeah im running a catless setup. do you think anythings broken?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
nooo i dont have a after market boost controller.. and i have no idea how i missed that information on cobbs website i go there all the time :unhappy: .. but yeah im running a catless setup. do you think anythings broken?? :confused:
Not if the ECU did what it was supposed to but I wouldnt want to make a habbit of it.

I'd either get a hi flow DP and have it installed or get a ProTune rather quickly.

There are several 07's with Cobb's map with a catless DP that have blown motors. Just about EVERY 07 with a DP and no EM has bit the bullet as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would it blow the motor?? and wouldnt that be the accessports fault if i was over boosting?? hmm this happend last wednesday and i havent drove since cause i dont know what to do.. i mean my car seemed fine but i didnt wanna push it. so like i said i drove slow and in low rpms the whole way home. i have a invidia down pipe. how is that not high flow??

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
how would it blow the motor?? and wouldnt that be the accessports fault if i was over boosting?? hmm this happend last wednesday and i havent drove since cause i dont know what to do.. i mean my car seemed fine but i didnt wanna push it. so like i said i drove slow and in low rpms the whole way home. i have a invidia down pipe. how is that not high flow??
No it's not Cobb's fault for you not following the map notes.

The DP might be high flow but it doesnt have a hi flow cat. Cobb stated the 07 OTS map has some very high waste gate duty cycles. With the free flowing exhaust of a non catted system it apparently over boosts (as you found out).

It can kill your motor by making it run very lean. The ECU is only tuning for X amount of air/fuel and all the sudden the car might get 22-24 psi instead of what the target was looking for.

The 2.5 motor in general see's creep with fully cattless setups systems. The 07 is just a silly beast with it's ECU tuning.

This is just my personal guess. You might have another issue like TR was hinting it. It's possible that the BCS might have malfunctioned.

There were a few people that Cobb told to try the 04 resistor pill in the wastegate hose. I'm not sure if that helped or not but you might want to put a call into Cobb. Odds are they are going to push for you either to have a ProTune (not a bad idea anyway with the 07) or get a catted downpipe (once again not a bad idea).

·
Registered
389 Posts
You should just find some one with the street tunner software and tune up the BCS a little bit. It is easy to do.
How does the street tuner software work ? Is it self explanetory/with directions ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's not Cobb's fault for you not following the map notes.

The DP might be high flow but it doesnt have a hi flow cat. Cobb stated the 07 OTS map has some very high waste gate duty cycles. With the free flowing exhaust of a non catted system it apparently over boosts (as you found out).

It can kill your motor by making it run very lean. The ECU is only tuning for X amount of air/fuel and all the sudden the car might get 22-24 psi instead of what the target was looking for.

The 2.5 motor in general see's creep with fully cattless setups systems. The 07 is just a silly beast with it's ECU tuning.

This is just my personal guess. You might have another issue like TR was hinting it. It's possible that the BCS might have malfunctioned.

There were a few people that Cobb told to try the 04 resistor pill in the wastegate hose. I'm not sure if that helped or not but you might want to put a call into Cobb. Odds are they are going to push for you either to have a ProTune (not a bad idea anyway with the 07) or get a catted downpipe (once again not a bad idea).

well do you think it would be safe to drive?? i live in a small town and the nearest awd dyno is only 1200 miles away. a catted dp yeah sure but that could still be a week or two away. hmm ill call cobb monday. but i just wanna make sure nothing broken or if its safe to drive as of now. im not looking to further my problem by driving it when it shouldnt be driven.

·
Banned
0 Posts
How does the street tuner software work ? Is it self explanetory/with directions ?
I don't use cobb. But the information is published and available to all. Tuning isn't easy but it is worth wile espeically when you are talking about a 30 thousand dollar car.

·
Banned
0 Posts
well do you think it would be safe to drive?? i live in a small town and the nearest awd dyno is only 1200 miles away. a catted dp yeah sure but that could still be a week or two away. hmm ill call cobb monday. but i just wanna make sure nothing broken or if its safe to drive as of now. im not looking to further my problem by driving it when it shouldnt be driven.
Safe yes, I bet you can even still pull hard in low gears. The boost control on these cars is dependant on the gear you are in. The higher the gear the more the BCS works to produce boost. Just don't do WOT pulls in high gears and you should be fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Safe yes, I bet you can even still pull hard in low gears. The boost control on these cars is dependant on the gear you are in. The higher the gear the more the BCS works to produce boost. Just don't do WOT pulls in high gears and you should be fine.
hmm. is waste gate flutter is that common?? even in low gears???

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I'm not going to make that call.

I will offer this bit of advice...if you were driving it before hand with no issues and only had a issue with a WOT pull in high gears...then I'd avoid WOT pulls in high gears.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not going to make that call.

I will offer this bit of advice...if you were driving it before hand with no issues and only had a issue with a WOT pull in high gears...then I'd avoid WOT pulls in high gears.

yeah ive never had any issues with my car AT ALL. all my installs have been very smooth and everything worked perfect the first time.. to good to be true... haha but yeah the car doesnt even have 2,000 miles on it. so blowing the engine doesnt sound to fun...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Your not gonna blow the motor. Just be careful and watch your boost. My enginuity tune overboosts sometimes. Just watch your boost gauge and make sure your not creeping past target boost. Be careful in 4th and 5th at low rpm's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your not gonna blow the motor. Just be careful and watch your boost. My enginuity tune overboosts sometimes. Just watch your boost gauge and make sure your not creeping past target boost. Be careful in 4th and 5th at low rpm's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

why at low rpms???

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
07's can max injectors at sea level on the stock tune.

Stage 2 I'm sure could max it with the ECU trying to keep up with some major creep.

I wouldnt make a habit of driving the car like this.

Do yourself a favor and search Nasiocs 2.5 powerplant forum for the issues the 07's are having.

There is a reason why Cobb has in bold letters not to run a non catted DP.

Search for member "Gabedude".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts