ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 WRX, only time I ever get on it hard is when getting on the highway. Was driving hard from 1st to 2nd but as soon as I dropped it into 2nd and let the clutch out I heard a loud bang from the rear. I assumed it was the rear diff hitting the subframe? I shifted around 6500-6800. Is that simply too much? I kept going hard and the shift from 2nd to 3rd went smooth. Should I look into the whiteline diff bushings? It's not often I drive hard like this but the bushings aren't that expensive.

·
SPT for the win!
60 Posts
didn't run over a nice sized rock or road debris by any chance? if it kicks up and hits your exhaust pipe it can make a hell of a bang noise.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Most likely that's what happened, those rear diff bushings are pretty soft and allow for a lot of movement. I have the Perrin rear diff lock down bushings, great quality, but whiteline makes a good set too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I remember that happening when I was stock and stage 1, and shifted hard 1st to 2nd. It doesn't happen any more though. Not sure if I changed my driving style, or if the bushing and mount upgrades solved it. My guess is both. I don't think it is anything abnormal though.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Def rear diff...get some bushings to take care of that and you're good to go!

I can get you a price on a set if you want. Let me know.
Shoot me a PM. Also plan on grabbing that accessport by the end of the weekend like we talked in chat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read this this morning and went out and thought I heard the exact same thing. Turns out it was a can of salsa rolling around. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
pull from 1 to 2nd to bang, my rear diff. Lol yeah there goes your warranty out the window. It is also a 2012....

SOA will laugh at your face. But dont worry, it not enough ft lbs of torque to mess up your axle, rear diff and tranny, but you are working your way up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts