ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people say that getting a BOV doesn't really do anything but make noise. I could care less about the sound, but what causes the leaking? At a certain pressure it must start to lose pressure? Is it the boost controller or in the tune itself? Admittedly I am no expert when it comes to the mechanics... and have ZERO experience with the Subaru. I know the Evo's bov would start to lose pressure for some guys in the low 20 PSI range. A lot of people just crushed their BOV and that helped them to not need to buy an aftermarket BOV.

Anyway... what's needed here?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Put simply, it leaks, because there is a leak. Somewhere there is a seal that is not holding air. I don't really know how else to describe it. It's like if you have water in a Zip Lock bag, then you punch a hole in it. The water will "leak" out because there is a hole that is not effectively sealing the water in. It doesn't have to do with the boost controller or the tune, air is physically leaking out of the system.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put simply, it leaks, because there is a leak. Somewhere there is a seal that is not holding air. I don't really know how else to describe it. It's like if you have water in a Zip Lock bag, then you punch a hole in it. The water will "leak" out because there is a hole that is not effectively sealing the water in.

Well yeah... I guess I was more wondering where the leak typically comes from on these cars. People say it's pointless to get a BOV which is fine with me because it's money saved and I don't think i'll be running that much boost even after a tune since i'll likely just go with a bigger TMIC and a downpipe... maybe a drop in filter? I don't know. I'd like to have around 300 whp and I think i'll be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
In my experience most leaks occur either within aftermarket VTA BOVs (because the diaphragm is not designed in a way that properly holds pressure), at the seal where the BOV attaches to the system (due to improper installation or crappy gaskets), and/or at the joints in the intercooler piping.

I know with my FMIC, every time something is messed with I end up with multiple leaks where the pipes fit together. You really have to crank down the clamps on the silicon couplers to make sure they don't leak.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience most leaks occur either within aftermarket VTA BOVs (because the diaphragm is not designed in a way that properly holds pressure), at the seal where the BOV attaches to the system (due to improper installation or crappy gaskets), and/or at the joints in the intercooler piping.

I know with my FMIC, every time something is messed with I end up with multiple leaks where the pipes fit together. You really have to crank down the clamps on the silicon couplers to make sure they don't leak.

ohhhh yes I remember that. My Evo X used to run 29 psi of boost... stock turbo, etc and talk about ALWAYS checking for leaks. I was lucky though... they (multiple tuners) told me my car held higher boost better than most cars without having any sort of knock or any other issues.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Generally the stock TMIC "Y' pipe gets brittle over time and tears. Or the clamps just need some adjsutement over time. Sometimes it just people not installing parts properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts