ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be able to beat my buddies SI right (AEM cold air, and DUAL, yes dual exhaust)? With a good brake torque? I am just curious so I don't embarass myself :wiggles: It's weird, my car feels so fast, but apparently stock times with the 4EAT blow right?

Also, when you guys launch a 4EAT do you drop yours into 2 and then brake torque, and then manually shift through the rest, since 2nd has the most torque?

Just curious how everybody launches this sucker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man if you havent been in something fast you dont know, I dont even know lol I think my van is fast lmfao...... But im sure when I get my 4eat in 6 months il freak.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I went from a 4.8l v-8 silverado to my WRX. And the only other car I drive on a regular basis is my buddies lightning, who would absolutely rape most cars I have ever seen, he is running an aftermarket pulley on the blower, a ram air hood with an open element intake right behind the ram air, custom headers and high flow cats, straight through 2 in 2 out magnaflow, with a 175 shot of nos running through a venom system and a custom dyno tune, and I tell ya that thing pulls like a raped ape you can punch it at 90 and still light up the tires, I think the first time i did that was the biggest I have ever smiled, so yes I know what FAST is for sure :cool: I am just wondering what my car would be able to hang with?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
liquidx said:
Man if you havent been in something fast you dont know, I dont even know lol I think my van is fast lmfao...... But im sure when I get my 4eat in 6 months il freak.
yeah, LOL, the first car i drove was a pontiac transport and I thought that **** was fast, LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well heres my opinion. Don't know if they're right, but ill give it a shot.

From a stop: If you mess up on the brake torque, he will eat you up. When i was bone stock, i went up to the drag strip and ran with no brake torque, just mashing the pedal, and i hit low 16's. Your buddies SI with CAI should run low 15's. So if you don't use your AWD to your advantage, you are done for.

From a roll: Through 2nd and 3rd gear you should stay close to him but once you hit 4th, he will probably start to walk on you.

Stock 4eat's are just slow. There are a few out there that are factory freaks and can run mid 14's stock. But most of them are capable of only high 14's at best in the 1/4 mile with a good launch. They do however respond to mods very well

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still a little worried about using an accessport though, with the few engine blowing stories i have heard. But without that, and with all my cats in place I have no shot at much, huh?

·
Registered
153 Posts
ero2 said:
still a little worried about using an accessport though, with the few engine blowing stories i have heard. But without that, and with all my cats in place I have no shot at much, huh?
i dont have a tranny cooler, but it seems like even with that, you should get much better times, because you will hopefully be in boost when you launch. GL

when you said SI, is that a civic SI?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
fastwrx135 said:
Stock 4eat's are just slow. There are a few out there that are factory freaks and can run mid 14's stock. But most of them are capable of only high 14's at best in the 1/4 mile with a good launch. They do however respond to mods very well
???? show me a timeslip of a STOCK 4eat running 14.whatever, and I'll give you a cookie. The fastest I've heard of a fully stock auto going is 15.0 (me).

you should be able to take quite a few cars out there. Si should go DOWN even with a crappy launch. But if you want to find out how to launch properly, send me a pm.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ero2 said:
Dont worry about blowing ur engine, getting an accesport when u r bone stock is the best way to go cause u havent fooled around with ur car (3/16th mod, mbc, bov, so on)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I ran my buddies Civic SI when I was stock at the track and on many other occations. He has never beat me. On the 1/4 his best time which was a 15.8. That was a tenth of a second slower than my worst time. At that time he had a CAI, header, AFC and a Greddy catback. I was of course stock. He threw on a Crane cams ignition system and still couldn't beat me. On a 50mph roll it was a little difficult beating him and a few times he may have gotten me. But racing doesn't count from a roll ;) :tongue: . It took him to get a 99 Camaro SS to finally beat me. Man that thing was fast. The dealership must have been giving away huge egos with every car purchase that day because the guy came home an ahole. I could beat him if he missed a gear though:D . If you can't beat em' in a straight line, take em' on the twistys:D .

As for Cobb AccessPort, it is one of the safest forms of engine management I have come across. I have been running it since April and love it. I am currently stage 2 fully catless, the car is a new machine. A UTEC is a decent form of engine management but requires a dyno for accurate tuning and it is still a little quirky for the 04s. Giving a UTEC to most people (which is usually the wrong people, people who cannot tune it properly or do not have access to an AWD dyno) is like giving a 5 year old a loaded 45cal. Disaster is soon to follow. The AccessPort is pretty fail safe and anyone can use it.

Granted with out the support of tranny mods such as a tranny cooler, high stall TC and maybe some valve body work, our 5mt counterparts will have a leg up on us. But put em' past stage 2 and ask em how their clutch is taking to the mods. The stock clutch likes to slip when you start throwing a lot of power to it and if you upgrade the clutch, you're taking a huge risk of destroying the tranny. If the clutch or tires don't slip, something else usually does, usually in the drivetrain.
I love my 4EAT, it is decently modded at stage 2 with one hell of a suspension. It is a strong running car and can handle the power you throw at it. Plus it doesn't take much to make it fast.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
all i know is im not tuned and i beat an evo while my ecu pulled timing :x.....july 31st is tuning day.....i remmeber stock i couldnt beat a civic once our autos are ghey they wont down shift correctly :(

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've noticed in D it doesn't like to downshift, but usually when i put it in 3 I get it to downshift pretty easily. Also, I have been wondering, it seems like when I am driving and I go froma stop if I floor it, I BOG LIKE HELL, but if I slowly push the accelerator in as the car starts to go faster it seems to not bog at all, does that sound weird?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, should I get my custom catback put on, on tuesday, or save a little more money and get an accessport? I would like to keep my warranty for at least 3000 miles though to make sure I have no issues with my car, so should I do the exhaust which they assured me won't void any warranty, or save more and get the accessport?

I just love the way these cars sound with exhausts, but I also don't want a lot of trouble from the popo, so I am assuming if I stay completely catted, and run a resonator in my midpipe with my magnaflow system I shouldn't have to much trouble right?

Here's a link to the magnaflow I am getting, if i get it on tuesday. It's number 14814 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm on this page.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
ero2 said:
I've noticed in D it doesn't like to downshift, but usually when i put it in 3 I get it to downshift pretty easily. Also, I have been wondering, it seems like when I am driving and I go froma stop if I floor it, I BOG LIKE HELL, but if I slowly push the accelerator in as the car starts to go faster it seems to not bog at all, does that sound weird?
with autos its bad to floor it froma stop you gotta east into it and it does go faster

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just my .02c, but I don't think it is bad for the engine, BUT it is horrible for gas mileage, for sure.

I also find I like to downshift to 2 going into a turn and then floor it mid turn and shift back into 3 then D, because it has so much more torque! AWD rocks :cool:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey WRXout did you ever get that tranny cooler hooked up? still the 1st or second mod I want to do, but a little worried about doing it myself as I have never done one before.

·
Registered
217 Posts
WRXout said:
with autos its bad to floor it froma stop you gotta east into it and it does go faster
WRXOUT:

Have you got the em YET. I belive most EM's will smooth out the throttle response so you can mash the gas and go.

Without EM, my car seemed boggy when I mashed the gas and partial throttle seemed to have better acceleration.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts