Discussion Starter #1
I requested an aggressive tune from PDX Tuning and I have the following Mods:

2005 Subaru Wrx 2.0

Eagle Rods
ACL Rod Bearings
BC Valves
BC Valvesprings
BC Stage 2 272 Camshafts
06 WRX Turbo,(PDX says that 06 WRX's didn't come with IHI turbos, but I have heard different...so IDK, I just put it in there because the stock one was leaking oil)
Sti Pinks 565cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
ACT Stage 3 Comp Iron Disk Clutch
Turbo XS FMIC
Tein S-Techs

What kind of power can I expect with an aggresive tune? And also, what is the model number for that turbo, because I read that the 06 wrx came with the 2.5L, but if that's the case, does that mean that the turbo is a little bit bigger than the 05? Because I was under the impression that it was still a TD04.. thanks guys...

-Willie.

(also, I know that the FMIC is overkill, but I am deploying soon, and I'm planning on upgrading to ppgs and an ATP gt3071, so it's kind of a "plan for the future" mod..)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I requested an aggressive tune from PDX Tuning and I have the following Mods:

2005 Subaru Wrx 2.0

Eagle Rods
ACL Rod Bearings
BC Valves
BC Valvesprings
BC Stage 2 272 Camshafts
06 WRX Turbo,(PDX says that 06 WRX's didn't come with IHI turbos, but I have heard different...so IDK, I just put it in there because the stock one was leaking oil)
Sti Pinks 565cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
ACT Stage 3 Comp Iron Disk Clutch
Turbo XS FMIC
Tein S-Techs

What kind of power can I expect with an aggresive tune? And also, what is the model number for that turbo, because I read that the 06 wrx came with the 2.5L, but if that's the case, does that mean that the turbo is a little bit bigger than the 05? Because I was under the impression that it was still a TD04.. thanks guys...

-Willie.

(also, I know that the FMIC is overkill, but I am deploying soon, and I'm planning on upgrading to ppgs and an ATP gt3071, so it's kind of a "plan for the future" mod..)

As far as what type of whp you should be expecting will vary depending on the map thrown on, PDX tuning ive heard though does an amazing job, I would expect upward of 300 but will all depand on the tune.

Sounds like a fun set up!!! Keep us posted of the out come :thumbup:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a stage 3 clutch pretty extreme for this mod list? That would get tiring really quickly in traffic...

I can understand a stage 1, maybe 2

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
As far as what type of whp you should be expecting will vary depending on the map thrown on, PDX tuning ive heard though does an amazing job, I would expect upward of 300 but will all depand on the tune.

Sounds like a fun set up!!! Keep us posted of the out come :thumbup:
300 on a stock TD04??? Thats a little high. Actually a lot high

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
With the TD04 and stage 2 cams your turbo is going to run out of steam just as the cams are able to fill the cylinders with air. Big cams are made to push the power curve to the right, you're going to need a big turbo to fill in that part of the RPM range.

Stage 1 cams would be more appropriate, even if you will go to a GT30 at some point.

I understand you'll have the heads apart, and that would be the time to do the cams, but if you're looking to upgrade the transmission, there is NO sense in installing a hyper power clutch yet.

The Stage 3 Clutch is complete overkill for the TD04 and the GT30.

Edit: Also are you going to keep your Open Deck 2.0L?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Who decided on this mod list? There's some things in there that just don't mesh.....

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
Wow, I didn't even make it down the entire list.

You need to use mods that match the engine and turbo you currently have. Don't mod for tomorrow, because tomorrow may not come.

Spending the money on the clutch, cams, and FMIC that don't match up with the turbo you have doesn't make sense.

Spending money on the 565cc injectors doesn't make sense AT ALL, because they are overkill for your current turbo, and too small for the turbo you plan to buy.

Also, Tein S-Techs are crap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I didn't even make it down the entire list.

You need to use mods that match the engine and turbo you currently have. Don't mod for tomorrow, because tomorrow may not come.

Spending the money on the clutch, cams, and FMIC that don't match up with the turbo you have doesn't make sense.

Spending money on the 565cc injectors doesn't make sense AT ALL, because they are overkill for your current turbo, and too small for the turbo you plan to buy.

Also, Tein S-Techs are crap.
I haven't done anything wildly crazy as far as mods... I don't know why the cams and FMIC wouldn't match the engine I currently have, perhaps you could explain. I talked to Brian Crower, and they said the 272's were not even that big of a camshaft, and if I wanted to, I could even run the Cams with a stock ECU map and it would run just fine. It's just the injectors that require the tune...

As for the clutch, it has less bite into the gears than most clutches, with some sort of release valve so that it doesn't rip my gears to **** when it catches. My clutch was bad, and I upgraded knowing full well that I can't be doing 5k launches..

Like I said before, other than bad gas mileage, I don't have anything to worry about until I get the GT3071, and when I do, the injectors can easily be upgraded. I just didn't want to run into a problem with the turbo that I have now if I decide to run 16 or 17 lbs.

AND FINALLY, with the S-Techs, all I hear is crap about these springs, but REALLY, if you aren't rallying around your neighborhood, these springs look, and feel great. They are a nice stiff upgrade from stock, and close down the fender gap in the back a good bit.. When compared to Coilovers, they aren't even close, but with the money you save, and depending on what you plan on doing with the car,(dragging, rally, road course) you can't beat it. (if you have the money to rally your car anyway, you aren't gonna buy S-Techs) My car is gonna be a quick daily driver and they work fine.

I just hoping PDX gives me a tune that can get a good bit of power out of the top end of these cams with the turbo I have. I was just wondering what to expect to put down after getting a good solid tune on there. And yeah, i would agree that 300whp is def. high... That would be nice though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the TD04 and stage 2 cams your turbo is going to run out of steam just as the cams are able to fill the cylinders with air. Big cams are made to push the power curve to the right, you're going to need a big turbo to fill in that part of the RPM range.

Stage 1 cams would be more appropriate, even if you will go to a GT30 at some point.

I understand you'll have the heads apart, and that would be the time to do the cams, but if you're looking to upgrade the transmission, there is NO sense in installing a hyper power clutch yet.

The Stage 3 Clutch is complete overkill for the TD04 and the GT30.

Edit: Also are you going to keep your Open Deck 2.0L?
I don't know what Open Deck means, but I do plan on keeping the stock 2.0, because like I said, it's just a daily driver, that I want to be fast, not a racecar...

·
Registered
10 Posts
open deck is term that describes the top of the block. open deck means the water jacket around the piston bore goes all the way to the top leaving the cylinders weak under high boost conditions. you would wanna sleeve your block if your going to be running high boost to protect your investment. on another note i didnt even know trhe wrx comes with an open deck i would think cause of the turbo itd be closed deck. is the sti the same?

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
The 2.0L WRX engine is an Open.
The 2.5L WRX (06+) and STI (04+) engines are Semi closed.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/38142-closed-deck-vs-open-deck.html

Big turbos in small bore engines are less street-able than big engines with small turbos.

If you just want a fast street car, and you didn't spent any money on the engine mods yet, then I'd recommend the following.

2.5L Engine, stock EJ205 heads (or at least stock cams)
HTA68 turbo
750CC injectors
Uppipe/Downpipe
Upgraded Top Mount Intercooler
Fuel Pump
Stage 1 Clutch, with street light flywheel
Custom tune

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
I haven't done anything wildly crazy as far as mods... I don't know why the cams and FMIC wouldn't match the engine I currently have, perhaps you could explain. I talked to Brian Crower, and they said the 272's were not even that big of a camshaft, and if I wanted to, I could even run the Cams with a stock ECU map and it would run just fine. It's just the injectors that require the tune...

As for the clutch, it has less bite into the gears than most clutches, with some sort of release valve so that it doesn't rip my gears to **** when it catches. My clutch was bad, and I upgraded knowing full well that I can't be doing 5k launches..

Like I said before, other than bad gas mileage, I don't have anything to worry about until I get the GT3071, and when I do, the injectors can easily be upgraded. I just didn't want to run into a problem with the turbo that I have now if I decide to run 16 or 17 lbs.

AND FINALLY, with the S-Techs, all I hear is crap about these springs, but REALLY, if you aren't rallying around your neighborhood, these springs look, and feel great. They are a nice stiff upgrade from stock, and close down the fender gap in the back a good bit.. When compared to Coilovers, they aren't even close, but with the money you save, and depending on what you plan on doing with the car,(dragging, rally, road course) you can't beat it. (if you have the money to rally your car anyway, you aren't gonna buy S-Techs) My car is gonna be a quick daily driver and they work fine.

I just hoping PDX gives me a tune that can get a good bit of power out of the top end of these cams with the turbo I have. I was just wondering what to expect to put down after getting a good solid tune on there. And yeah, i would agree that 300whp is def. high... That would be nice though...

The cams don't match your mods. You're shifting your powerband to the right (gaining top end at the expense of low end) with a turbo that can't support anything beyond 5,500 RPM. As it stands, you've lost more than you gained. These cams should be in reserve for nothing smaller than a large 18G. I saw you wanted a GT3071.

That clutch is also a LOT more aggressive than you think. Even ACT's base HD Street Disc is known as a transmission breaker. I'd be less worried about breaking something during a 5k launch than I would be during at speed hard driving. I've broken 3 gears, only one of which was 1st gear (bad install job as it broke on the way home from installation).

As for the S-Techs: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267918

1 - 16 of 16 Posts