ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my homies says I should invest in boost control. Says it will up my psi from 14ish to 17ish. Can a 150$ dollar mod really do that much good for performance? Will the increased psi make me go faster!!!!??? It sounded a little too good to be true, so I figured I'd bring it to the pros. If I do go boost control, do I have to do any other mods to prep my engine for the increased psi? (fmic?)

gracias

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
more boost will add more power, i think its roughly 20 hp for 1 psi??? do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT do that to a stock wrx. you are asking for serious trouble. the cats will not take it. a boost controller in general is not good because you up your boost, but not everything else like timing and fuel. i'd say get engine management. and check out this thread for more research.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80872

and no you don't need a fmic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Do a little searching around and you'll see that there are supporting modifications you will want to do before playing with the boost.

Primarily, look into a catless up-pipe and downpipe and (ideally) some form of engine management that you can either (a) up the boost in conjunction with (using a boost controller) or (b) it will adjust the boost itself (ala the Cobb AccessPort device)

Without some supporting mods, you really won't want to up the boost. Especially to 17psi on the stock turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
word

I have the Helix UP/DP and HKS carbon Ti cat back TBE seut up....i was lookin for a next good mod, and this aint it. Looks like COBB is the next step..

thanks fellas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Trainrex said:
Wow....I didn't realize it was so complicated. I always thought it just controlled boost. :p
The WRX uses a lot of engine management from the factory to control the boost, AFR, and timing. A good engine management system can control the boost for you, plus keep everything else blanced and running properly. The UTEC and Cobb AccessPORT are the most popular ones. Follow the other advice in this thread, get the supporting mods first (But NO intakes, search on that), and then invest in good EM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,609 Posts
Draco-REX said:
The WRX uses a lot of engine management from the factory to control the boost, AFR, and timing. A good engine management system can control the boost for you, plus keep everything else blanced and running properly. The UTEC and Cobb AccessPORT are the most popular ones. Follow the other advice in this thread, get the supporting mods first (But NO intakes, search on that), and then invest in good EM.
Pssst.....it was a joke ;) :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,156 Posts
as long as you're running catless, or at least no UP or DP cat, boost control is fine. just watch for part throttle/full boost conditions in higher gears, and otherwise enjoy the power. :)

i run my EBC at around stock levels for the most part, but i have settings varying from a valet mode w/ 9 psi, and "high" with 16.5psi.

i've been running it for 2 years now and i love it.

dR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,301 Posts
Iron_Armz said:
I have the Helix UP/DP
ah, yes. like dr said, you'll be fine with a boost controller with this setup. i thought you were going to put an MBC on a stock car with all cats. :wiggles:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
so am i correct in stating that you guys say that its save to raise the boost to about 14.5 psi with dp/up? I wasnt aware of that. I will definitely keep that in mind. I plan on doing up/dp cat back, first....but im glad to know i can tweak the boost after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Iron_Armz said:
I have the Helix UP/DP and HKS carbon Ti cat back TBE seut up....i was lookin for a next good mod, and this aint it. Looks like COBB is the next step..

thanks fellas
A boost and a EGT gauge would be good too. Maybe a A/F with a wideband sensor for tuning..not the ones that pull off voltage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
dark_rex said:
as long as you're running catless, or at least no UP or DP cat, boost control is fine. just watch for part throttle/full boost conditions in higher gears, and otherwise enjoy the power. :)

i run my EBC at around stock levels for the most part, but i have settings varying from a valet mode w/ 9 psi, and "high" with 16.5psi.

i've been running it for 2 years now and i love it.

dR
That's what I'm sayin. Watch PTFB and watch those EGT's and everything will be fine. I ran over a year with an MBC and my motor is running strong at a stage 4+ now (knocks on wood). You just have to be more cautious.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top