ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm almost sure I'll be getting MOTEC M4 as my EMS.
Can anyone tell me if there are any downsides or negative effect to use MOTEC instead of stock or ECUTEK EMS.

I belive the motec has cold start features and so..

So does anyone knows any downsides?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Motec doesn't offer a basemap to make the car run. You will have to start from scratch. Other than that, just that it isn't emissions legal and you have to make an engine harness.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's expensive to buy. You have to run all sorts of extra parts in addition to just the ECU (such as running a distributor iginition system . . .). After it is installed it takes somewhere along 11 to 12 hours to tune it to make it run anywhere near OEM.

What kinda power levels are you planning? I bet the UTEC will handle most power levels until you get insane. Also check into the Hydra standalone ECU. Porter from NASIOC was telling me about it last night and it sounds impressive.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Roffa said:
Hi I'm almost sure I'll be getting MOTEC M4 as my EMS.
Can anyone tell me if there are any downsides or negative effect to use MOTEC instead of stock or ECUTEK EMS.

I belive the motec has cold start features and so..

So does anyone knows any downsides?

:confused1

Downside:

It is quite possibly THE most expensive and complicated form of engine management you will find, short of having a custom engine controller hand built from scratch. It's going to require a load of custom wiring, you'll have to individually calibrate every sensor, convert your ignition to distributor as mentioned above, and have it fully dyno tuned from top to bottom. You won't be able to get any support from the Subaru community (at least around here) because nobody is using it.

I guess the important question is... what is your reason for getting the motec? You can almost certainly accomplish anything the motec could do, using something like the Hydra, the AEM EMS, the Link, or other options which will happily use all the stock sensors and wiring and save you a TON of trouble.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to answer a few of theese <Insert correct word here, as I don't speek english that well> and to give some more facts about what I know of the motec;

I can get the system installed and tuned for about 3000-4000$
It's used much in the rally/racing community and I have a few contacts there.
I plan something around 500 AWHP hopefully within 5 years.
I can use the system in any car I get later if I decide to change my rex (I don't have any plans of doing so)
I can setup many diffrent programs including antilag ;)

(First I'm planning around 270->300awhp and stay there untill I have saved up for some gears and a new engine. Then I'll get a big ass turbo and move up to around 500awhp. I guessing it would at least take 5 years as everything is really expensive where I live.)

The problem with hydra, aem, link, utec is that a may get some support here, but not with my local tuners as they have never used it before..
All ems I gan get here is gems, motec, haltec, autronic, uniship, supership and maybe i can dig up ecutek.

Unichip and ecutek are piggybaks (generally not suited for high hp application)
Superchip is a replacmet chip I belive, not either generally suited for high HP
So I'm left with a standalone ems.. and the best deal I can find was trough my mechanic witch used to be a rally driver, he has lots of contacts in the community.

But I'm looking for other downsides beside price if there are any :confused:

Good thing with motec;
-loose the crappy MAF sensor
-use on "any" car I may get later
-good quality
-well known software/hardware where I live
-can use the motec dash :D
-cold start?

Bad things with motec;
-can't take the car to the dealer anymore, but I don't plan on it anyway:rolleyes:
-expensive
- ?
- ?
- ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
1. Very expensive
2. Massive install headache
3. Massive tuning headache

I dunno where you guys got that distributor thing from. That is :bs: . The M4 has 4 coil drivers.

Make sure the installer you are talking to has done installs in WRXs of your year before. Make sure any needed sensors/solenoids/stepper motors/wiring etcetera are included in his price quote.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chevyeater said:
1. Very expensive
2. Massive install headache
3. Massive tuning headache

Make sure the installer you are talking to has done installs in WRXs of your year before. Make sure any needed sensors/solenoids/stepper motors/wiring etcetera are included in his price quote.
Thanks I'll double check that it's included in the price. He said it the price was installed and tuned. But I'll double check.. The motec dash is not included nor is tuning of antilag.

The tuner is well known and work with motec systems on a daily basis.. He is also regarded as one of the best tuners on subaru in norway so I'm not worried ;)

Are there any features on the stock ems that motec does not support and you think I will miss? I think motec have a coldstart feature. What about the safty stuff? And does it have limp mode? or any warningsystems if something gets wrong?

Ps Thanks for the comments so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To be honest for that money you could buy multiple EM systems and still get the WHP you are looking for.

EcuTek are based in England so you can get support cose to your time zone. That's a reflash of your ecu and a great product.

The UTEC is user tunable and you ill meet that first goal of 300WHP with ease with the right parts and the UTEC. I tuned an STi over the weekend to 394 WHP using a UTEC, bigMAF, FMIC, injectors, FP Green. Sponaugle on NASIOC is close to 500 WHP on a Mustang dyno and is UTEC+EcuTek tuned.

The Motec is a fantastic EM, but the setup is far more complicated than I think you need.

But if you do buy the Motec please keep us all up to date on your progress.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts