ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what are the brightest HEADLIGHTS and FOGLIGHTS i can buy that are not hid. (can't afford that) but will not go out like those cheap blue ones i keep buying. And where can i buy them?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Brightest non-HID headlights that wont go out... so far Sylvania Silverstars, but thats not bright enough for my tastes. I have tried higher wattage ones and they are bright as hell but went out after 3 months, they were MTEC's found on EBAY. (cheap crap) No problems frying the harness or anything with 85 watt bulbs however. I suggest trying the 80 watt Hella's and please let me know how that goes as I will be replacing mine when the time comes. Here's a link for someone selling these... http://www.rallylights.com/hella/9007.asp

As far as fog lights, I have been running Phillips Rallye Bulbs for some time now. They are 100 watt bulbs and emit a PURE white light without any filters on the glass. (they look like a stock halogen bulb though) Definitely the brightest non-HID ones I have used. No problems with the overwattage, HOWEVER... I turn my fogs off when I don't need them! You can get them from www.powerbulbs.co.uk

Another option I would be PIAA's competition bulbs. There is the 85, 110, and 120 watt H3 bulbs listed on this site... I can't guarantee these wont burn up your harness or do some other damage since i have not tried them myself. http://subesports.com/products/?cartID=2004082219021266.74.159.11&cat=Lighting&brand=PIAA

PS. I'm assuming you have an 02/03 with stock lights... if not then you have many more options for headlights!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i do, i have been using those blue crap bulbs. i just borowed my friends sliverstars and i still don't think there that bright. i will check out those other lights and get back to you. thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that first site you listed, are those xenon bulbs what your are talking about or are u talking about that last one on the list before it. Also is xenon brighter?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
HIDs or silver stars

if you buy any other "HID" bulbs your burn your subaru wiring to a crisp just like I did thankfully i took mine out before any real damage could of been done. I had to replace one harness, but i know other people who replaced the whole cars electricals

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its easy as hell, I installed my on my old car after the shop (which made me wait 2hrs after I had an apointment for) said it would be $275 to install. Took about 45 mins including a trip to the hardware store for extra 3m adhesive pads and 20amp fuses.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Blizwinter said:
is that hid kit hard to wire yourself, does it come with instructions?

theres a HID install in the DIY tutorial section which i posted up, it really does not take more than 45minutes, I've uninstalled and installed lights soo many times ... that a WRX takes me less than 20 minutes. If you get a quality kit you can have it together in that time frame, the hardest part is mounting the ballast in a safe place (chassis walls are best)

·
Registered
2 Posts
try Catz Galaxy Whites for your headlights. I've had them on my accord for 1yrs+ and its been fine. They're like 4300k and emit around 55w input/110watts output. i think they were imported from japan tho, but i forgot the website i bought 'em from(something liek bulb depot) . anyways, these dont have that cheap blue hue on the bulb and pretty bright. try 'em.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Phillips VisionPlus bulbs are THE brightest Non-HID bulbs you can buy. They're so bright in fact that they don't sell them in America normally, but you can buy them online. I had a set in my old Mazda and they are super bright. (almost as bright as HID's at a fraction of the cost, just don't have the cool color) They are also 55/60watts, which means that they won't draw anymore power out of the wiring than the stock bulbs do!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks man that help alot. I think i like the silverstars. Do you have those silverstars in your fogs i'm guessing.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Blizwinter said:
thanks man that help alot. I think i like the silverstars. Do you have those silverstars in your fogs i'm guessing.

not my car

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just save up and get the HID's. There is no comparison between my HID's (thanks HIDplace.com) and any other "bulb" I've used.
They make signs and lines on the road "glow" so they are easier to see at night.

mike.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
i agree, don't waste your money anymore on bulbs...I upgraded to all PIAA bulbs for my headlights and fogs and am currently saving for HIDs because I know that there is absolutely no comparison.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
the mike said:
Just save up and get the HID's. There is no comparison between my HID's (thanks HIDplace.com) and any other "bulb" I've used.
They make signs and lines on the road "glow" so they are easier to see at night.

mike.
No Probs ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts