Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to what race tracks people favor? Currently COTA (Circuit of the Americas) is the favorite track that I've driven on. I very much want to do an event at Sebring because....its Sebring. I'll likely have to keep The Bucket of Bolts in Touring setting to keep my back and kidneys in the same places.

These tracks can be ones you've driven on or even ones that you would like to.

The other side of this discussion is that driving on a track is one way to get the most important Driver Mod. This modification will not only make you faster, it will make you a better and safer driver, too.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
20,095 Posts
I don't drive fast. I just leave home a few moments earlier instead. I do love some tracks though.

Kyalami. I miss the South African Grand Prix.

Paul Ricard. I really wish they'd fix the runoff striping before somebody goes into convulsions. Looks like a seizure waiting to happen.

Rijeka. Actually liked it better before the curtain dropped. More of an adventure.

Watkins Glen. I have zero interest in the current location of the US Grand Prix; I find it really kitsch when everyone wears silly hats for the event too. Stopped watching years ago.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't drive fast. I just leave home a few moments earlier instead. I do love some tracks though.

Kyalami. I miss the South African Grand Prix.

Paul Ricard. I really wish they'd fix the runoff striping before somebody goes into convulsions. Looks like a seizure waiting to happen.

Rijeka. Actually liked it better before the curtain dropped. More of an adventure.

Watkins Glen. I have zero interest in the current location of the US Grand Prix; I find it really kitsch when everyone wears silly hats for the event too. Stopped watching years ago.
No doubt The Glen is on my list of favorite tracks. I may visit it, but it is unlikely that I'll ever get to drive it (long ways from home and then the expense of track preparations, then undoing those preparations for the drive home). COTA was just such a fabulous facility. The track is fantastic and everything else is just top drawer. I chatted a good bit with our AMG coaches (pro drivers) about the other facilities that they hold their events at. Laganu Seca was a good conversation. The issue with these tracks are the fact that the facilities are 75 years old. AMG had to bring in everything, including huge AC tents, meal trucks, etc. COTA was just there.

I watch a fair amount of F1. However, I am not as much of a track aficionado as you are. I know that many of the current venues are much like COTA. Sterile, modern and lacking in the charm of a century of gas, oil and rubber injected history.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I've only driven on two tracks: Mid-Ohio in the MGA during the Vintage Races lunch parade laps. I've never been so bored while driving. ::rollseyes:: We had annual passes at M-O for several years, as it is my "local" track. Saw a lot of great cars there. Seeing the early 2000s Audis lapping the field in 5-6 laps was awesome!

And Watkins Glen, in the Audi A6 when we first got it for a paid three lap drive. Got it up to 85 MPH on a straight, but that just felt like cruising in that heavy car. More memorable was my underestimating how tight turn nine was. That grass was approaching fast!! While there, I also drove the old original road course six or so laps, going faster and faster as I found where it was less dangerous to drive quickly. Nowhere really was, as these are public roads with traffic, cyclists, gravel, etc. But even though I probably never got much above 70, it sure felt a lot faster and more satisfying. The stone bridge looks terrifying coming down the hill before the turn onto it! And that's in a modern car with superb suspension and braking. I can't imagine how those guys fit their balls into the cockpit in the '50s!!

I've been to Indianapolis for the 2004 F1 US Grand Prix, but didn't drive the track.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve, the sheer guts that the guys in the '50s, '60s and 70s had to have just to climb into those things. Ford vs Ferrari put it in there for all to see. Sir Jackie talks about how you expected to die (wonderful man that I was lucky to meet for 30 seconds at Tan-Tar-A resort in the late '70s). His great friend, Jimmy Clark did and it obviously affected Sir Jackie.

Think about those men that drove those Auto Union Silver Arrows (in the '30s) on those skinny tires.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts