Advantages

1. more power
2. faster wrx
3. will win alot of races

Disadvantage

1. more power
2. faster wrx
3. will win alot of races

its a great thing to be stage 4 and have the bigger turbo, but eventually it will wear your car out and you will have some engine/transmission problems. These problems could happen stock but stage 4 only enhances it...

Like NIKE...just do it.

Oh ps...that turbo sucks....search the forum for a new turbo:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
What sux about the vf22? It makes good power. Some people say it is laggy, some don't, but no larger turbo is going to spool like the stocker.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
For more power..I say hello to lag...in fact I love lag...

Lag is my best friend...but its not that.

the vf22 has a problem holding boost at higher psi levels. Its an old turbo w/old technology. I used to be all about it and I was its biggest fan but after the 18g which is only a few hundred more...I'll never go back...

If you want power go w/ an 18g...if you want alot of power then you wouldnt be asking about a vf22 anyways...

If you want some decent power get a vf34 or 30...skip the 22

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how long will the the wrx engine last after a bigger turbo swap? what can u do to prevent engine worn out so fast?

sorry i am such a newbie... :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it isn't holding boost at higher levels, all you have to do is put a 2 dollar helper spring that you can get from home depot on the wastegate.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,964 Posts
how long will the the wrx engine last after a bigger turbo swap? what can u do to prevent engine worn out so fast?

sorry i am such a newbie...
Then you seriously do not want to do this. No offense. These are complex questions with no specific answer. It depends on you, who did the work, the quality of the parts, the state of the motor, who designed the fueling, what controls it, what fuel is used, who maintains the car, who makes sure the cooling system is up to it, and so on.

The best bet IMO for a more fun car is starting mods from the wheels up, not from the motor down.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I ran it for 30k w/no problems...and then poof motore and heads...so it all depends some people dont get nearly that long. some people have theirs go when its stock or close to it. There is no exact science. You can build your motor...rods/pistons...that will help and you can get some good gears thatr are stronger and that will help...but bam theres 4-6 grand...minimum. Have fun, but the setup till it breaks..just dont be upset when or if it does...all cars do...especially modified ones. ITs what we get for our pleasure.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
rickyh said:
If it isn't holding boost at higher levels, all you have to do is put a 2 dollar helper spring that you can get from home depot on the wastegate.

Honestly, I never understood nor will I ever understand this mentality:

"Buy a cheap turbo that is outdated and use spare parts from Home depot in an attempt to make it something it's not, instead of buying the right tool for the job and making more reliable and driveable power"

If you want to make the same power numbers that the vf22 does, but have a flatter torque curve and better reliability/product support, call forcedperformance ( www.forcedperformance.net ). They'll set you up with whatever you want, just give them your power goals. Using a vf series turbo in this day in age gives you a lot of customer support (since the majority of these boards use IHI turbos) but does not give you anything special...getting a purpose built turbo for about the same $$ does, and will suit your needs better....plus, you don't have to use the hardware department of home depot to make your turbo run right :rolleyes:

~Tim

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think wannawrx is just worried that my car will blow up or something.

He's looking to buy my car. I had fun in my car.
I have stage 4 with proper supporting mods with nice intercooler setup.

Advantage of having a vf22.

Nice top end.
Cheap turbo to replace.
Most other VF series turbo can't match it's PEAK HP output.
(I'm sure some can, but some can't for sure)

Disadvantage

Nice top end, meaning less low end.
Turbo Lag.
You pretty much got the most out of the car with this turbo.
Unless you are looking to get stronger tranny, you shouldn't get a bigger turbo. (That's just my opinion. I just want to be in a safe side)

Lag can go both advantage or disadvantage, but whatever.

Turbo and fuel parts has been put on by Don B. Subaru in VA. (nice cool mechanics who actually appreciates modding exists in that dealership!! Cool ppl.)

Of course, if you want more power. Get a bigger Turbo. 18g from FP will have flatter torque curve, more hp output and might even spool faster than vf22. However I do suggest stronger gearset at least...

And about the reliability. Someone I know had stage four for about 75k miles and sold it. (Didn't have prb at all)
And of course I had 20g on my eclipse for 75k miles and sold it as well. It all depends how you take care of it, and how much you do NOT abuse it.

-soul

·
Registered
419 Posts
13secwrx said:
I ran it for 30k w/no problems...and then poof motore and heads...so it all depends some people dont get nearly that long. some people have theirs go when its stock or close to it. There is no exact science. You can build your motor...rods/pistons...that will help and you can get some good gears thatr are stronger and that will help...but bam theres 4-6 grand...minimum. Have fun, but the setup till it breaks..just dont be upset when or if it does...all cars do...especially modified ones. ITs what we get for our pleasure.
What happened to your engine? Massive detonation???

·
Registered
433 Posts
What happened to your engine? Massive detonation???
Maybe it was that 25psi map?....... Or that everytime I looked in the WRX vs. the world section, hed have at least on kill a day?.. hmm..... lol Just messin' with ya 13secxwrx.:D Good luck on the new motor.

-Griffin

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have heard a lot of people running the vf22 with no boost problems. I am running mine between 17 and 18 psi with no problems. And from what i have read that the vf22 will not make any more power boosting past 19psi. So I dont think you will have too many problems holding boost as long as you stay below 19psi, which is recomended.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I never really ran the 25 psi map...maybe 2x

I think it was just its time...too much spirited driving. It owes me
nothing !

I ran my 22 at 21 lbs...they said it could hold that but it couldnt even hold 18 lbs..the hp curve and tq curve would fall off like the leaning tower of pisa.

No detonation really...every once and awhile the utec would knock and pull timing but eh thats normal...dahwell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts