ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are all the variations of winter/ snow tires sizes and widths that would fit my 2011 base wrx 17" wheels. I'm looking for sure fit please don't give me just the one size on tire rack. My 17" will become my official snow tires just looking for a set of used snows for now,

but need to be safe with my lil subie boy in his recaro. I'm just having some trouble with endless useless threads that go off topic. Or rude people, or 250 pages of one topic and nothing helpful. Becides I like this site friendlier kinda like my old club, anyhow.

Needing stud less tires tristate driving, also any reviews on pirelli winter carving?

Thanks to everyone in advance

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
Tirerack is a very good source for tires. They recommend 3 sizes (although 1 is to drop down to a 16" rim, which I and lots of people do). The 16 inch rims and winter tires are actually taller than my 17s with summer tires on. They provide more cushion for the pushin . Even though there may be more options available, those sizes are going to be the easiest to find, especially bc you are looking used.

OEM: 235/45-17
ALT: 205/50-17
16" ALT: 215/55-16

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Opinions on these Dunlop SP DSST winter sport M3 225/45/17?

I don't wanna waist the rims I like them, if I'm getting new ones in spring.

My last car I ran 18" all year round just changed out tires summers n snows, I heart dunlops I had them on prev car. This time I want 2 sets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a great post, as I'm in the market for a new winter setup on my 2012 WRX sedan and have yet to get any confirmation if a 215/50/17 will rub at ALL on an enkei ekm3 17/7 et45 with backspace of 5.75"

Anyone have experience running this setup?

In regards to OP, I have the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s and love them.. in fact I'm trying to avoid buying new and salvage them to put on said Enkei's which is why I'm trying to get some help around this... help!!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I have Dunlop Wintersport M3s, in that exact size on my 05 STI...going on my second winter with them and they've been nothing but good reliable tires. They've handled even severe winter weather well and have maintained a good ride, haven't worn out that much, and still retain fairly good handling characteristics for a softer winter rubber on an STI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ran Nokian Hakkapeliita 5s in 225/45/17 on my 2008 WRX sedan with OEM wheels when I was up in Alaska. This was an outstanding setup in the snow! Those are studded tires, however; I'm not sure if you can go that route. The Nokians are a bit pricey, too. I think I paid close to $1150 for the set, but they are outstanding winter tires!

Now I'm down in the south where winter is about 50 degrees...I miss the snow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for winter tires and found 17x8 rims that I like but the tire that I would like to get is a 205/50R17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. Would that fit nicely on the 17x8 rim?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I highly doubt (in fact I'm positive) you'll be able to stretch a 205 over an 8 inch wheel. Typically a 215 tire will work on a 6.5 - 7.5 inch wheel. You'll need a 225 or 235 tire.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just got a set of the Wintersport M3s on my 2009 yesterday. The car definitely handles differently, but the safety in the snow is worth it...

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
For winter, you generally want a wheel that isn't as wide. You want a contact patch that cuts through the snow, not more on top of it. Contrary to dry summer driving, its the opposite to get adequate traction in snow.

Look for a 7inch wide wheel.

General Altimax have a lot of faithful users here...and Blizzaks are also known as good ones. I use Dunlop Wintersport M3s...and had used Michelin Alpins before...both are excellent.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I have the General Altimax.Second season on those.

Haven't had any issues so far.They are a bit noisy in the dry but great in the snow.Also the tread seems to last long.My set still looks like new.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I have the General Altimax.Second season on those.

Haven't had any issues so far.They are a bit noisy in the dry but great in the snow.Also the tread seems to last long.My set still looks like new.
Third season on my Dunlops...and same here...traction barely looks more than 80% or so. And I put a lot of miles on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts