Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a new short block put in and I feel like I'm missing something....

CURRENT MODS:
Blouch Performance 20g-xtr turbo
Grimmspeed tmic
MXP headers and uppipe
Invidia catless downpipie
Cobb sf ram intake
Cobb 1000cc injectors
Cobb ebcs
Cobb access port v2 (I would like to get a V3)
DW 65c fuel pump
Turbosmart fuel pressure regulator kit
IAG AOS
SPT strut tower brace
SPT Lower chasis brace
SPT short throw shifter
SPT Group-N trans and motor mounts
SPT Group-N pitch stopper
Greddy spectrum elite exhaust

Whats Coming:
New OEM Shortblock
JE FSR pistons
Manley H-tuff rods
ARP 2000 studs
ACL Bearings
Gates water/timing kit
TVG delete
Air pump delete
Boost/AFR/Oil Pressure gauges
IAG fuel rail
Killer B Pickup
ACT Heavy duty performance streed clutch
ACT streetlite flywheel

Im on the wall about getting a grimmspeed up pipe so I can go EWG.

Im having this tuned for 93 since it will be my daily for the time being and winter is around the corner. Is there anything that im missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ELH already, and my goal is to build a platform that will support 500-600hp eventually. My goal at the time being is to make close to 400whp on pump gas while still having a reliable DD.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
My goal at the time being is to make close to 400whp on pump gas while still having a reliable DD.

In that case, I suggest a twinscroll rotated kit with a GTX3071r.. Full Race makes a decent one. It's probably not going to be that reliable though.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
subrad said:
Im having a new short block put in and I feel like I'm missing something....

CURRENT MODS:
Blouch Performance 20g-xtr turbo
Grimmspeed tmic
MXP headers and uppipe
Invidia catless downpipie
Cobb sf ram intake
Cobb 1000cc injectors
Cobb ebcs
Cobb access port v2 (I would like to get a V3)
DW 65c fuel pump
Turbosmart fuel pressure regulator kit
IAG AOS
SPT strut tower brace
SPT Lower chasis brace
SPT short throw shifter
SPT Group-N trans and motor mounts
SPT Group-N pitch stopper
Greddy spectrum elite exhaust

Whats Coming:
New OEM Shortblock
JE FSR pistons
Manley H-tuff rods
ARP 2000 studs
ACL Bearings
Gates water/timing kit
TVG delete
Air pump delete
Boost/AFR/Oil Pressure gauges
IAG fuel rail
Killer B Pickup
ACT Heavy duty performance streed clutch
ACT streetlite flywheel

Im on the wall about getting a grimmspeed up pipe so I can go EWG.

Im having this tuned for 93 since it will be my daily for the time being and winter is around the corner. Is there anything that im missing?
subrad said:
my goal is to build a platform that will support 500-600hp eventually. My goal at the time being is to make close to 400whp on pump gas while still having a reliable DD.
If you're legit going to build the car for 500+whp...

While the motor is out, a mild set of cams (26X duration) and mild head porting is worth considering (unless you plan on rebuilding / refreshing again before the next power goal). While not remotely what I'd consider necessary for your 400whp goal, a turbo swap is a lot easier/cheaper than doing this later (you don't have to pull the motor, split the block, clean everything up, re-gasket everything, etc.), and it will help you hit 500+whp when the time comes. I emphasize staying mild with both the cams and the porting, as a blend between your 400whp realistic goal now, and your hopes of 500+whp later. If you decide to go for 600whp, the mild cams and mild porting will be a bottleneck at that point, but far less than OE, and you'll eventually be tearing the engine down again and can address that issue then. If you aren't very sure that 400whp is just a "stop gap", don't bother with this, but if you really do intend to go 500+whp, consider this "while you're here".

Ultimately, you'll need a larger turbo down the road if you're going to hit that goal, but you can cross that bridge when you get there. You're running one of the larger turbos I'd recommend for stock-location. They make bigger, and they're alright, but rotated will make more power easier (and therefore, safer). A lot of people balk at the idea of going rotated, but you can sell your stock-location parts to help offset the cost and it's not all that much more expensive.

An EWG will benefit you, but again, if you're going to be going rotated later, do you want to take on that additional investment now? May or may not be worthwhile to you. Really look at what you're going to do with this vehicle. Hopefully, when you're searching for 500+whp, you'll be looking at doing so on higher octane than standard pump fuel (e.g., E85 / Pump+Meth). You'll also probably want to be ditching that TMIC at that point, so a FMIC should be in your future plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts