Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience doing this here? I've wetsanded to remove scratches before, but I've never done so to fill in rock chips. I'd like to do it now that I have quite a few on my hood, seems better to tackle as they come along.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't think you can wetsand out chips. The problem is, the chip goes all the way through the color layer. With scratches, its usually only a few microns deep, so wetsanding basically polishes out the scratch because its only in the clear coat.

I think all you can do is try to fill them with touch up paint. When it gets really bad, then have your hood repainted. Then get a paint protection film put on (like what I have).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's DuPont that makes some aftermarket touch up paints. They give pretty specific directions, though I don't have them close by, that explain something near the following... you take the touch up paint and fill in the hole, actually overdoing it a little (building it up).. then you wet sand it down to smooth and level it out then finally use rubbing compound and polish to finish it... I've heard of this technique done before but I'd want some pretty detailed details before I attempted it! Wetsanding is cake, but lord knows I don't want to make a situation worse.

Hot_Dog said:
I don't think you can wetsand out chips. The problem is, the chip goes all the way through the color layer. With scratches, its usually only a few microns deep, so wetsanding basically polishes out the scratch because its only in the clear coat.

I think all you can do is try to fill them with touch up paint. When it gets really bad, then have your hood repainted. Then get a paint protection film put on (like what I have).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like it can be done. I don't think i'm skilled enough to do it though! Maybe talk to someone that works at a body shop...they probably have a better idea how to do it.

My civic's bumper and hood got all chipped to hell...I finally stopped caring about it. But now with the wrx, I don't even want to drive it on the highway! It seems like there is always a truck full of dirt throwing rocks all over. That's the problem living in NM, everyone has a big truck with mud all over it. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I know that feeling. Haven't had my car a week and already have chips on the hood.:mad:

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Fill the chip with several layers of touch up paint- then wet send the area once it's dry- practice and you'll be surprised at how good it looks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts