ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got an 03 wrx 5 speed..... well i was drivin ya know and was under boost in third gear and the check engine light started blinkin and the car went into limp mode..... well right after that i looked for the nearest place to pull over into a neighborhood or something and then i got on the gas a little more to get the car to move. It was buckin and sputterin all crazy barely running but i didnt have a shoulder to pull over on. Well I saw an entrance to the neighborhood just a little ways up so right before i got to it i hear this kinda halfway boom from under the hood (NOT GOOD) i'm thinkin and then oil pressure light starts blinkin and i shut the car off immediately and rolled to the entrance and stopped the car.

Well i got the car home found a shard of metal layin under the intercooler so i took the intercooler out and found a hole in the block under the intake plenum. car is hardly modded has an injen short ram intake and a 3 in. skunk 2 catback exhaust. only 85,000 miles on the car stock boost and all bought it used with 78,000 miles from the dealer back 4 months ago hasn't been long at all.

So anyways on to my real question where can i find a long block or complete motor, turbo, and everything or who is reputable to get it from. i'd like to get it built stronger and have mid 300 horsepower since ill be pulling the motor and all myself just wondering where to go thats not gonna kill me on gettin ahold of an engine that can handle it.

thanks in advance for help ive been readin alot on these forums since i got the car but this is my first post on here. thanks guys i appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
There's a hole in the block? :confused1

Uh, well we have a lot of great vendors here at the Club. So do some searching and PM'ing to get a good deal if you're buying a bunch of new parts at once.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
What were you using for Engine Management?

·
Registered
36 Posts
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm

SUBARU EZ30R ENGINE JDM-EZ30R
- H6 3.0 (6 cylinder boxer) engine
- 2006+, 250HP NA, 3 port exhaust
- AVCS Technology
- Less than 5000 miles on the engine
Recommended for: 2006-07 STI,WRX
This engine is posted at the bottom of the first page in clearance section. that would be nice if it would fit. engine is probably past break in point. although in retrospect a 2.5 turbo would be easier to swap. that is if you plan on keeping the car.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You bought it 4 months ago? I'd go talk to the selling dealer. It would be worth it to try, as long it wasnt a "buy here pay here" sort of thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i bought from the only subaru dealer here in northeast oklahoma so i dont know if they'd be of any help or not. As far as engine management stock ecu unless the guy that had it before me did a flash on it or something. But to my knowledge everything else was left stock other than the intake and exhaust. When i got it there was a vac line missing on the boost reference tee going to the solenoid so i replaced it cuz it was running 17 psi but after fixing that i got it back to stock at 14 cuz i know it was probably spikin and crap being a make shift bleed type boost controller. But its always ran perfect havent had anything to complain about till now.

But yea plannin on getting a cobb accessport and FP Big 16G with an evo 3 wheel and of course injectors and fuel pump and probably also a fmic if i have enough left over. just worried ill be pushin the limits of the tranny at that point. but thanks again for the advice guys i appreciate it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
most likely yes, with mid 300's to the wheels that could shred the stock tranny if not driven nicely. id suggest doing the motor swap and saving the extra cash for either a sti tranny and needed parts or ppg gear set, instead of doing the turbo swap and all that. that way you would have a perfect platform to modd with later down the road.

·
Registered
0 Posts
if the T with restrictor pill was missing when you bought it that more than likely means the previous owner had a manual boost controller on it and if there was no tune on the ecu it could have had prior damage to the motor or wear on it and I would put money on that being the reason your motor blew. WRX motors are actually pretty strong motors unless modded wrong, the tranny is a defferent case though. I would get ahold of the dealer you bought it at and let them know whats going on.

·
Registered
905 Posts
get an STi longblock, and go crazy with it. if youre gonna do a swap, may as well get something with beef. as for the rest of the stuff, +1 to checking out the vendors here. describe what your situation is, what your intentions are, and they can help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Contact Armin @ W1 if you want a badass fully built longblock... I love mine!

Other than that... STi swap will fulfill your needs.

I have never seen a hole in a suby block... I didn't have anything like that happen and let's say I blew mine up under a "little" more stress..

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Contact Armin @ W1 if you want a badass fully built longblock... I love mine!

Other than that... STi swap will fulfill your needs.

I have never seen a hole in a suby block... I didn't have anything like that happen and let's say I blew mine up under a "little" more stress..
It doesn't happen that often with Subaru's, but I see it all the time with other cars. Inline 4's love to throw rods through the block.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
Just a couple google pics. Here's a 914 with block damage. This is what it looks like when a Scooby throws a rod.

Here is an inline that threw a rod.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
+1 my FSDE (Mazda) put 3 holes in itself when it blew, quite similar to the one pic above.

Don't build the engine if you can't support it with the rest of the drivetrain. If you need to keep the car off the road for a little while to rebuild it, pick up a beater or find a way to carpool for a short while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here is an inline that threw a rod.

[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what mine looked like when i threw a rod. I went with an axis block and head work. goodluck. AND GET ENGINE MANAGEMENT i was told my many people that was most likley the reason it blew. and i had amost the exact mods as you plus a BOV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea that pic of 914 block looks alot like what happened i'll take pics as i get it apart. and yea ive got a beater for the time bein i was just lookin forward to drivin the suby in the snow this winter wouldve been way better to get around in but o well maybe next year.

But yea i think i'll try to find an EJ207 from what ive been readin that'll be a pretty straight forward swap and not have to worry bout much else but im still gonna get a 16g and fuel system to support it and just keep the boost down till i do somethin with the tranny. Cuz i know the stock turbo is done there was oil sittin in the intercooler when i took it off so i know the seals are done. only thing is there's not any awd dyno's here in oklahoma and i didnt see any maps on cobb's website for that kind of combination so i may just get a wibeband and try to street tune it with the access port or something not sure what ill do about that yet.

Also would you guys have any recomendations on clutches to go with i used rps on my lexus and liked it alot but it was just a stage 1 street clutch nothin fancy but i didnt know how their other clutches were and all.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts