ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just re worked my intake on my 05 sti. Had [email protected] tyhoon, BOV atmos vent. I switched to a TXS FMIC kit, and closed loop bov. I have noticed a loud whine at mid to high rpm range. like the humm of the fuel pump or something. I checked for boost leaks and im all good. j/w if this sound has allways been there b/c the car was driven for a while with a open bov. and im wondering if it was allways there and i missed it?? Its not the radio i have **** it off and it is comming from the engine bay.. anyone have any clues :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
any engine managment? if not its prolly your car running so lean and your car detonating
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Could be your new set up with the intake. For example many users experience a strange noise at redline as a result of a short ram intake set up. What does this noise sound like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
I highly doubt you're detonating. Detonation sounds more like marbles in a tin can rattling. If it's a loud humming or whining noise at high rpms to redline, I'm almost positive its you're intake. You using the stocker?
 

·
Boba Fett
Joined
·
17,939 Posts
if it's a loud wine, how many washers do you have in your bov? Have you pressure tested the IC system and looked for leaks?
It could very well be the intake as well, txs's shorty can get pretty loud when it's sucking in a lot of air. It's more of a wooshing sound not a whining sound though.
_B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
And yes, reset your ECU, disconnect the negative side of your battery let it sit for 4 seconds or so then reconnect it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how can i check for PIPE LEAKs?? and also i do have a short ram stuck on there. Its a high pitch whine like i hear the fuel pump i swear.. allmost a whistle... im going to reset the ecu now.. anyother ideas let me know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
The noise coming from the short ram is normal. So if you continue to hear it, don't worry. It's just a lot of air passing through a small area of clearance, which is pretty much the dynamics of a whistle. You're gonna have to live with it. If you're positive it's not the intake. run your engine press the throttle and check for leaks with your hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EtherealWRX said:
The noise coming from the short ram is normal. So if you continue to hear it, don't worry. It's just a lot of air passing through a small area of clearance, which is pretty much the dynamics of a whistle. You're gonna have to live with it. If you're positive it's not the intake. run your engine press the throttle and check for leaks with your hand.
well now that i look at the directions it seems i needed to extend a fuel line. and i was not supplied with the new hose. its tight aginst the ic pipe and i bet when the engine flexes its streching that hose out big time. ill replace it tomm and see whats up :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UpStateNY-STI said:
well now that i look at the directions it seems i needed to extend a fuel line. and i was not supplied with the new hose. its tight aginst the ic pipe and i bet when the engine flexes its streching that hose out big time. ill replace it tomm and see whats up :)
Changed the Fuel Line, still a loud wine... hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm
 

·
Boba Fett
Joined
·
17,939 Posts
I'm betting on a boost leak, you could build something from home depot to help pressurize your FMIC system and piping. It may help you find a leak. You should post in your regional forum that you're looking for help with that, chances are several down there already have something made to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BrianH said:
I'm betting on a boost leak, you could build something from home depot to help pressurize your FMIC system and piping. It may help you find a leak. You should post in your regional forum that you're looking for help with that, chances are several down there already have something made to do that.
Yup... Thanks man... I read this and a friend helped find that a clamp worked its was off the coupler. and all my boost was leaking out. Runs like a champ now and no more whistle :D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top