Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, im new to the forums. I got my wrx about a year ago, and put an Injen CAI on about 3k miles after that. It worked out great, sounds good, looks good. But the engine started making a weird knocking sound. I heard it a couple times after i put the intake on and then it seemed to go away. But now that its cold out, every morning when i start my car and it goes to high idle(around 1.5 - 2 grand) that sound comes back and its alot louder. Kinda hard to explain but its a knocking, almost like a bad timing(im a noob at this stuff). If i rev it over 2 grand it goes away, after the car warms up and its back down to normal idle it goes away, and after driving it for a bit, it goes away completely, even when between 1 and 2 grand rpms. So im just wondering if anyone has had this problem or can point me in the right direction if its already been discussed on the forum. Only thing iv'e heard is that the knock sensor may need to be moved because the intake causes an extra vibration that throws it off. But I have no clue....... I'll probly end up putting the stock intake back on and bringing it back down to the dealership, just dont want them giving me any crap about the warranty because of the aftermarket parts. Plus im new to Charlotte and dont know any good mechanics to go to for advice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx guys.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think it's just noise from the engine coming out through the metal piping of the intake. Stock box dampens the noise.

I think the high idle is normal also not due to CAI???

Somebody come correct me if i'm wrong...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I belive what your hearing is the solid lifters. A CAI makes every noise your motor makes seem much louder. Nothing to worry about, but if you want to be safe take your CAI off and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would say you are hearing the good old Subaru ticking, mainly because it is only low in the RPM. If it were higher it could be a lean condition set up by the CAI. i think the lifter ticking is most likley it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you guys are right, but it sounds BAD. I'll see what the dealer says and let you guys know. Thanks for the replies, and damn do i hope your right.........
Mo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts