ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2004 wrx wagon.

Once when driving in the snow with moderate snow falling, the engine began making a louder rumble noise, kinda like an exaggerated normal engine noise. I figured maybe something was too cold or I got some snow in the air intake, i'm not too sure.

Anyone experienced this before? is it something to worry about or is it normal for these cars?

I want to be sure it's nothing bad since i'm going over snoqualmie tomorrow and it'll be snowing for sure.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Is it sound like something is loose or something that is more so engine involved? What RPm is this typically at? Also list any mods. Last time I saw ya you were stock.
Let us know.
-Daniel
PS maybe try giving smart service a call. They specilize in subaru's and rock!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
PS the subarus do make pretty loud valve noise at like 4-5 RPM so if it seems like it gets louder from that RPM range it may be that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey TG, I replied to your PM.

But for everyone else, No I haven't had a problem with that noise since that one night. I've taken the WRX through many snow storms since then and it's never done anything unusual, so I'm stumped as to what the noise was caused by.

·
Registered
905 Posts
was it deep snow? maybe you were rubbing the underside of your car on it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For me it has happened while driving through deep snow. Or at least snow deep enough to touch underneith the car. HOWEVER, the sound is in coordination with the engine RPMs. For instance, I can sit in neutral, rev it and it sounds like I have an intake on the car.

Then it goes away. This has happened twice, during two different storms.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i just noticed that too the username that is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts