ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I just bought my first wrx and first subi last wednesday. I noticed something weird when I test drove it. I initially smelled a burning smell that sort of resembled the smell of a soldering iron burning the insulation off a wire. The dealer had put tire dressing on the engine bay so I thought it was that. Well its been over a week now and I smell this odor every once in a while. It doesn't happen on a specific occasion that I can tell.

Car is a 2005 Wrx all stock except some rims and tires
110,000 miles
Auto

After I took it home I did not smell that odor again for a few days but after I did I realized my alarm started to sound as if the battery were dying. By alarm I mean the digital beeps you hear when you unlock/lock your car with the stock alarm system. Electrical/Burning smell and alarm sounding like its running out of juice sounds like an electrical problem to me. On the extreme, I was stuck on a bridge with the car in 1 ft snow for 15 mins on an uphill slope. I did not put the car in park I had my foot on the break pedal for that whole time. I heard a weird noise like a robot was powering down sort of like "eeeeeeeeeewwwwww" (starting at high pitch and going down like a draining sound) at which point all my warning lights started to blink: Oil temp, brake, awd, airbag etc. My lights dimmed, my compass turned to "00" and my heater shut off. My car stayed on but everything else went nuts. Then I finally got past the obstruction and started driving at 20mph. I heard a "Power up noise" the exact opposite of the first noise I heard and boom all the warnings went off, lights got bright and everything was fine again. Im kinda scared guys because this sounds pretty bad and I just bought the car!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,655 Posts
take it back to the dealership, and talk to them about it.

I've never heard of this problem, but it sounds like it could be rough to locate the issue.
 

·
Good news, everyone!
Joined
·
3,856 Posts
Yeah... that's not good at all. Definitely an electrical problem, but good news about buying from a dealership is that you should have some kind of warranty. Let them deal with it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it as is :/ I called the dealer though and they said they wouldn't leave me hanging high and dry so hopefully they can help out. If not I do have bumper to bumper extended warranty but Im scared to call it in. My contract has no 90 day "pre existing" clause that I can see but who knows what they have hiding up their sleeves. Thanks guys. My car is special with special problems hehe
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top