Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

You guys know how everyone's always concerned about how much your rims weight right? But what about the weight of the tires? Theoretically our stock tires should be a little heavier than the tires that we upgrade becuase it's a little thicker. I don't know how much that inner wall of rubber weighs but let's say the 16" stock wheels are ~16lbs and the 17" aftermarket rims are 18lbs, shouldn't the tire kind of even out the weight of the whole wheel including the tires?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'm probably going to get some rims next week so I just want to make sure that I get the best for my car w/o stressing too much about bigger rims.

·
Registered
400 Posts
And how much weight is to much? I saw some wheels that I liked. They are 18X7.5 but they are 25 pounds. Thats alot more than the stock 16 pounds. Is this normal for 18's?

Do any of you guys work at a tire shop? It would be nice to check Tim's theory on the diffrent size/weight of 16's, 17's and 18's

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lighter is always better for unsprung weight. If you are more concerned about performance than looks then definitely stay away from chromed wheels. If you decide on light wheels then make sure to get brand wheels that are certified for strength. Lots of choices out there.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
johan is right, less unsprung weight improves roadholding. For acceleration, the polar moment of inertia, which takes into account how far the weight is from the center on the wheel, matters more that the overall weight.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know but the question is, what about teh weight of the tires and the handling? I'm guessing 235/40/18s weight about the same as our stock tires but doesn't wider tires improve traction? Also, the OZ F1 Cups which was one of my favorite rims for the Evolution 5s and 6s actaully weight 26lbs for the 17" rims. Well I'm probably going to buy the 18s tomorrow and I'll have some pictures for you guys. I think my car's going to be extra tall and a bit ugly until eibach finishes on the WRX Pro Kits.

Attachments

G

·
My friend who ended up with the UK 17"s put Firestone SZ-50s in a 205/45-17 size and weighed them. He also put the stock wheel and tire combo on the same scale to eliminate variability. He found that his combo weighed 2 lbs more than the stock set-up. Which is (I think) considerably lighter than the set-up your considering.

To each his own, I guess. Just remember, the car will transition slower with heavier wheels and tires.

Mike :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see... I'm giong ot get the 18s with Kumhos for show and I guess I'll eat up the rest of my stock tires autocrossing then get some slicks for my stock tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts