ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just purchased a 2012 STI hatch back with sport tech package....a tonne of fun so far, looking into adding some mods to it and looking for information. Off to read posts and bare with me if i post in wrong sections as new to this.....o ya had windows tinted and rally armour flaps put on so far looking at K&N air intake, downpipes and boost cluster now....

Thanks
R

IMG_0134.jpg

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase.

I would suggest starting with an accessport and then going from there. If you need a pricing on any parts let me know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congrats! I have always absolutely loved black cars, but I can't stand keeping them clean so I vowed never to buy another one :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all...and yes am starting to feel your pain with the black....o well makes the kids pay for there allowance.....LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase.

I would suggest starting with an accessport and then going from there. If you need a pricing on any parts let me know.
Have looked at the access ports...not sure if i want to go too deep into messing with the ECM yet(i think thats what they allow you to do?) am seriously looking into the K&N air intake here

Code:
[url=http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-8005TWR]69-8005TWR - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N[/url]
and this instrument panel for a boost gauge and one other one??

Code:
http://www.tougetuning.com/store/smyclustermaker-dual-gauge-pod-20082012-subaru-wrx-sti-p-2693.html
Really new at this stuff so want to keep it relatively simple and stock for now and as cheap as possible but not cheap in garbage parts and install....am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.....and sorry if this is not posted in right area, re direct if out of line...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Have looked at the access ports...not sure if i want to go too deep into messing with the ECM yet(i think thats what they allow you to do?) am seriously looking into the K&N air intake here
The reason I'm saying you need an accessport is because you want to get an intake. You're not going to any real power without a tune and you may get check engine lights due to lack of tuning. Accessports are extremely safe tunes and should be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, any additions, other than a CBE, will require a tune for the engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for replies will look into the accessport first then....anyone from the North now of a good dealer to look for prices and installation? Or is it a do it yourself friendly kit...LOL

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Cobb Accessport is pretty solid at $595, I don't think I've ever seen a different price, so you can really buy it from anyone you trust will get it to you. It's a do it yourself thing, supposed to be pretty easy, but if you have any problems I've only heard good things about Cobb's customer service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I just bought a '12 WRB STi Hatch this past weekend as well, amazing car! It's almost painful to drive my Legacy back and forth to work...might just have to take the STi tomorrow. Street parking is why I haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks will look it up and for places in Canada.....guess the rest of crap i ordered can sit....LOL re: K&N filter and gauges, will let the piping go for now as well...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the purchase! I just bought a '12 WRB STi Hatch this past weekend as well, amazing car! It's almost painful to drive my Legacy back and forth to work...might just have to take the STi tomorrow. Street parking is why I haven't done so yet.
Ya there a blast...Congrats as well....so much fun it makes you want to accessorize for MORE....LMAO Have Fun!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Code:
[url=http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-8005TWR]69-8005TWR - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N[/url]
and this instrument panel for a boost gauge and one other one??

The K&N Air Intake is super loud, trust me I bought one & you do need to get a tune afterwards. I tried just doing the Air Intake w/out the tune and I'm pretty sure I lost power and for sure responsiveness (not dyno tested however).
It's named the Typhoon for a reason, it sounds like one is following you around!! :) If you like the sound of a loud turbo spin, you'll like this intake though. Good luck.

Code:
http://www.tougetuning.com/store/smyclustermaker-dual-gauge-pod-20082012-subaru-wrx-sti-p-2693.html
Really new at this stuff so want to keep it relatively simple and stock for now and as cheap as possible but not cheap in garbage parts and install....am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.....and sorry if this is not posted in right area, re direct if out of line...

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update....bit the bullet....purchased/installed a magnaflow cat back system yesterday...went to look at stuff today and my credit card fell out of my wallet right into some guys hands...LOL bought a Cobb access port and Cobb air intake with air box...also a SMY cluster insert for the sti..replaces stock to hold two gauges...on my way to put air intake and box in...looks pretty simple only question i have is do i have to unhook the battery like suggested in instructions??? kind of over kill for what i'm doing and going to be a pain to reset stereo etc....the access port was programmed by the guy and explained with a in car lesson so thats pretty straight forward besides all the bells and whistles you can do with it...thanks for help or advise with the battery in advance as theres no thanks button under posts on this forum,,,

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I go ahead and take the positive lead off when I work with the ignition fuse. Its not hard, just annoying. Darn radio presets.

Just a side note, I didn't know subaru had a sport tech package. Will have to see what it includes.

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
As fat as the battery, you should always disconnect the negative terminal first, and connect the negative terminal last. Already getting the mods in though dang lol im still getting there slowly.

Congrats on the car and welcome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok dun....3hrs later....LOL...flashed and ready to go...no need to disconnect power as i only have to take the sensor off/out and slide it into the new one...rest was just 10mm bolts and worst of it is getting the stock one out with the big can under it for big debris???...bigger than the windshield washer reservoir..lol will wait a bit to really try it out as the car only has 1800km on it(bought at 35).....sounds like a big truck tire loosing all its air though...LMAO Gauges next, think i'll pay to get those done....only oil and boost....as for the sport tech package i think its only the sunroof and upgraded fog lights...o and adjustable front lights...5 different settings....not sure if thats stock on the normal sti...sportech has the pioneer stereo as well with upgraded and more speakers/window tweeters etc....not sure what else have never read/compared them that much...thanks again for replies!!!

Ruthie

1 - 20 of 60 Posts