Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C is so ineffective. Took it to the dealer and they tell me that it tests fine, no problems. My mom's old Outback would freeze you out of the car within 3-4 minutes. The Impreza NEVER gets cold enough to be comfortable when the sun is shining, and it has a lot less volume than in the Outback. Even when the sun is down in the evening and temp are in the 60's it still never gets cold enough to turn down the temp. What the heck? Starting to miss the old VW for this reason, guess you just can't have your cake and eat it too. Love the car, come'on winter haha!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Somethings not right, then, because my car gets cold enough that I have to turn the air off for a while. Even when it's 95 degrees out. Just tell them they WILL replace it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i live in a swamp and my ac cools the car in 30 sec after i get in it at 1 in the afternoon after is been sitting all morning.:cool: iagree with junaitari somethings wrong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I feel the same, My old S10 would freeze your nosehairs, my rex is barely adequate. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order...

·
Registered
907 Posts
My a/c works just fine even in 100 degree weather and Im the type of person who loves it cold. You might want to have it checked again in case.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nexus6 said:
My a/c works just fine even in 100 degree weather and Im the type of person who loves it cold. You might want to have it checked again in case.
Thanks for the input fellas.

The dealer told me it's fine, no problems, blows at 42 degrees from the vents. Maybe I'll take it to another dealer because this doesn't seem right to me, I don't believe it is blowing that cold because it feels like an old system that is low on freon.

The service manager told me to use the recirculated air for maximum cooling, which I agree is the way to get best cooling but...ahem, aren't we told NOT to use recirculated air for extended periods with the compressor running in the WRX? I mentioned this and he said that he never heard of such a thing. What are you guys doing? fresh air or recirculated? I mean, it says right in the freakin owners manual not to use it, and to be quite honest, I never moved that lever in other cars when using the air and never felt my air was weak.....GRRRR....sweaty sucks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a problem with mine that may explain it. The control cable for the hot-cool knob came loose and it wasn't going all the way in either direction. This happened when the car was only a couple weeks old. I noticed it because the knob wouldn't stay on the last knotch, it would rebound back one from the hottest setting. I brought it to the dealer and they verified that the cable was loose and fixed it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
glepko said:

The dealer told me it's fine, no problems, blows at 42 degrees from the vents. Maybe I'll take it to another dealer because this doesn't seem right to me, I don't believe it is blowing that cold because it feels like an old system that is low on freon.

The service manager told me to use the recirculated air for maximum cooling, which I agree is the way to get best cooling but...ahem, aren't we told NOT to use recirculated air for extended periods with the compressor running in the WRX? I mentioned this and he said that he never heard of such a thing. What are you guys doing? fresh air or recirculated? I mean, it says right in the freakin owners manual not to use it, and to be quite honest, I never moved that lever in other cars when using the air and never felt my air was weak.....GRRRR....sweaty sucks

I never use recirculated. Always fresh air.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was looking through the manual and found that there is nothing wrong with recirculation except that it may fog your windows.

However, something else piqued my curiosity.

Here it is:

Air conditioner compressor shut-off when engine is heavily loaded.

To improve acceleration and gas mileage, the air conditioner is designed to temporarily shut off during air conditioner operation whenever the accelerator is fully depressed such as rapid acceleration or when driving on a steep upgrade.

Which brings me to this question...

Just how are you driving your car Glepko?;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Houston, it gets VERY hot during the summer. The ac on my WRX has worked great. Sounds like you have a problem.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
glepko said:

Didnt they get rid of freon? My dad says he cant use the AC or whatever cause he cant buy freon anymore. But then agian he just tells me what I want to hear so I stop asking questions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm having the same problem. The air just dosen't seem to get cold enough. I think I'm calling my dealer. Other people who have been in my car noticed it too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nexus6 said:
Ditto, have it checked out by another dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts