Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I waxed my car like a month ago, but there's a little bit of wax on my stubby rubber In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it's an antena for the radio that I put on to save me from the embarassment of manually pulling out the antena everytime I listen to the radio...but I digress.

The problem is that I kind of left the wax on the antena for a whole month because I'm...well...stupid I guess. Now, it won't come off. Any ideas as to what I can use to get this stuff off. I don't want to use goo gone or goof off since I'm not sure whether or not it'll damage my paint. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: oops, I totally thought I was in the exterior and appearance forum. My bad:rolleyes: If any of the moderators for this forum can move it for me, I'd be much obliged. Thanks :)

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
A great way to remove wax is with rubbing alcohol- try putting some on a rag and wiping it on the antenna- hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
first try alcohol on a part you dont see, cause alcohol usually discolors parts like rubber and plastic moldings. make it have a whitish color.

edit:
if it does discolor, you can put some Black Magic spray on it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Alcohol and Black Magic spray are both terrible for you car's rubber/plastic/vinyl parts. Alcohol will dry things out and cause them to crack in addition to the discoloring, and Black Magic contains silicon, which is a no no when it comes to detailing a car.

-joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why is silicone a no-no?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Silicon based products, if they get on any part that may need painting in the future, make it virtually impossible to make paint stick to that item. The silicon gets impregnated into the surfaces that it comes in contact with. So basically, you want something that sits on the surface, not something that gets incorprated into the surface. This is why bodyshops are silicon-freee product environments, or should be. I also beleive that silicon helps to rot rubber and vinyl, especially on tires,but I am not sure of the exact details on this. Also, silicon based products make your tires very unsafe as far as grip goes if you are too liberal with the spray. I am sure there are some good essays online, I just cant seem to find any right now.

-joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
So wait- he's got a little black rubber thingy instead of a metal antena- like a VW? Is the signal as good? Where can I pick one up? Easy install?

thanks!

Rick

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nexus6 said:
remember wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off..
HAHAHA:D...you dork:p

2003Platinum said:
So wait- he's got a little black rubber thingy instead of a metal antena- like a VW? Is the signal as good? Where can I pick one up? Easy install?

thanks!

Rick
TeamShiftPoint(William) did the install for me. I forget how long it took...do you remember William? The signal is better than ever...okay so maybe it's the same, but it looks cool:D I picked it up from a random guy. William saw a guy selling it on a different forum, and the dude happened to be passing through Houston. Got it for $30...not to shabby. Not sure where else you can get it from.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
After thoroughly cleaning, if it is still white, use peanut butter.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Retro said:
After thoroughly cleaning, if it is still white, use peanut butter.
Peanut butter...are you serious? Or do you want to laugh at me when I try it and nothing happens:p I heard Simple Green should work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Simple Green is a degreaser, so it may cause problems. Peanut butter contains (you guessed it) peanut oil, which can act as a solvent and soften up the wax residue.

I used to work for a company that made a high-end line of car appearance products. Our paste wax had a very high carnauba content, and as a result, if you didn't polish it out within a short time of it hazing, you'd need scotchbrite to rub the hardened wax off. Unless, of course, you did the totally counterintuitive thing and put on some more fresh wax in little sections... The new wax softens the hardened wax, and then you can buff it out.

BTW, this is why putting two coats of wax on a car is a total waste of time... applying the second coat softens the previous coat, and you end up with the same "thickness" of residual wax when you buff it out the second time anyway.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PNG said:
Simple Green is a degreaser, so it may cause problems. Peanut butter contains (you guessed it) peanut oil, which can act as a solvent and soften up the wax residue.

I used to work for a company that made a high-end line of car appearance products. Our paste wax had a very high carnauba content, and as a result, if you didn't polish it out within a short time of it hazing, you'd need scotchbrite to rub the hardened wax off. Unless, of course, you did the totally counterintuitive thing and put on some more fresh wax in little sections... The new wax softens the hardened wax, and then you can buff it out.

BTW, this is why putting two coats of wax on a car is a total waste of time... applying the second coat softens the previous coat, and you end up with the same "thickness" of residual wax when you buff it out the second time anyway.
I shall try the peanut butter method then. Thaks for all the info:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts