Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a wrx like two weeks ago and im already in love. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to waterproof the cold air intake it came with. the filter is only 6 inches or less from the ground and i don't want to run the risk of hydro-lock. it rains alot in the winter where i live and i don't want to blow my motor but i still want to drive it through puddles!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Into the motor. :confused1
your are correct on that. :thumbup:

but think of this... if you restrict the air flow from the atmosphere to the engine by putting a plastic bag over the intake, then where are you getting the air from.

im just curious how your doing with running the engine with out any bogging/CEL coming up. :confused:

or have you put the plastic bag like a barrier to prevent any splash to come up to the intake?

·
Registered
204 Posts
you can use this right here too...

Waterproof Your Cold Air System! AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock if the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system is submerged in water.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am still not understanding this mod.... a plastic bag over the intake, how does the engine breathe? My only logical comparison would be put a bag over your head and zip tie around your neck, yeah water isnt getting into your lungs but either is oxegen. Anyone else not really understanding the plastic bag thing or is it just me.....

plastic bag over intake.....:screwy:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am still not understanding this mod.... a plastic bag over the intake, how does the engine breathe? My only logical comparison would be put a bag over your head and zip tie around your neck, yeah water isnt getting into your lungs but either is oxegen. Anyone else not really understanding the plastic bag thing or is it just me.....

plastic bag over intake.....:screwy:
exactly what im trying to say!!...

i wasnt trying to be rude about the subject. good way to put it AsILayDying.

·
Registered
242 Posts
wrx wagone, Im not trying to be a jerk but can you explain how air goes through a plastic bag without restricting the flow.
Usually normal plastic shopping bags are just about air tight (e.g. that you can blow air into it and tie it shut and you can keep air in it) how does this work if your intake is trying to pull air and it has a bag completely covering it..... just explain in detail how an intake can pull air through the bag....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Apparently ninja Lvis beat me to the exact thing I was gonna post... nice job.

This is more of what I would do rather then a plastic bag, infact this is what I have on my CAI as well. Good luck to the OP

Product Image

·
Registered
204 Posts

Features
Sitting on top of your performance air filter, the Hydro Shield blocks water and microscopic particles from getting into your engine
Drive confidently through light showers, deluges or even sand storms
While repelling water, the Hydro Shield still allows wide-open airflow, letting your performance air filter deliver huge horsepower and torque gains
The Hydro Shield's embedded hydrophobic treatment creates uniform micron-sized pores that filter out water and debris as small as .005"
Expertly crafted from highly durable, racetrack proven polyester (NOT PLASTIC)
Your Hydro Shield was engineered to work best with cold air intakes that position the air filter outside of the engine compartment
Available in three hotrod colors: Red, Blue and Black
Injen covers your Hydro Shield with a Lifetime Warranty

·
Registered
242 Posts
We all had the same exact idea at the same time.... lol:thumbup::rotfl:

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
Interesting that you call us retards when you post like that. Is it really that difficult to use the words "you" and "are"? Or are you just that ****ing lazy?

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
you can use this right here too...

Waterproof Your Cold Air System! AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock if the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system is submerged in water.
No you can't. You cannot use this on turbocharged vehicles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.