Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a thought on the way to classes today... Would it be a better pay off with a intercooler water spray kit to run with rubbing alcohol that has been in a freezer? I thought that maybe since alcohol evaporates faster than water, and evaporation is the main way that the water spray drops temp, that maybe with faster evap properties that it would be more beneficial.

Thanks
RJ

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean is this a good idea??? Would it be better or am I stupid?? It is just a guess:) :)

RJ

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I guess theoretically it'd work. I'm only concerned with the fact that alcohol is flammable, so you'd have to be careful. Of course, household rubbing alcohol is only around 10% alcohol, so it may not be as much of an issue. I think that in the long run, you wouldn't see that big of a difference. That's my $0.02

Edit: BTW, welcome aboard the board!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply and the welcome man! Actually I have been looking on this board for about 5 months but just never registered. I like all the info and knowledge that everyone so graciously provides the WRX crowd.

RJ

·
Registered
559 Posts
Are you craky???
You could explode the engine..
The engine is very hot.
I would never try this at all..
Thanks
Tuca

·
895 Posts
um...he's refering to an intercooler water spray mod, not water injection, which is probly what you're thinking of

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
The biggest worry I see is the fact that alcohol can be tough on rubber and plastic parts. A friend of mine once converted a dirt bike to run on alcohol and among other things had to put in different fuel lines and change from fiber to aluminum reeds (2-stroke!). Don't know what it might do to things like the IC hoses.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I mean you are Crazy..
And i am thinking of the IC spray kit,,,nothing inside the engine.
But do you know how hot is a Turbo??and the heatshiled on it??and the downpipe??
I wouldnt put alcohol anywhere there.
Thanks
Tuca

·
895 Posts
well it wouldn't be going there - the seal around the intercooler will do a pretty good job of keeping the alcohol on the intercooler, and thats certainly not hot enough to light it, so all it'll do is just evaporate quickly, which is exactly what you want to happen

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Well, I thing Penguin is right that it'd all evaporate and be no big deal - BUT if some of it didn't evaporate it's go through the intercooler onto the parts below - the parts below including the turbo and the rest of the exhaust. I certainly wouldn't recommend a high rate of flow!

·
Registered
265 Posts
i think you are totaly correct, a little R-OH would evaporate quicker. for that very issue has been brought up on this board in at least in one thread. House hold alcohol is ususally 70% IPA(70-90% kills germs better than 100%).
I think in a dilute solution the alcohol would evap so fast it wouldnt have time to get down to the heat. ~30C boiling. point opposed to 100C for water, the first liquid to go is the alcohol. Also the fact that its Boiling point is so low coupled with the fuel aspects is why some use a alcohol water mix when injecting water in the intake. just went outside and tried to light a 35% sol'n of IPA with water, i couuld not get it to light. Even it it did there is plenty of water around to quench the flame.

sound like a good experiment, wouldnt start on your. i know there are some engineers around that could give a technical explanation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, I'm assuming that you guys who are worried about water or alcohol damaging hot engine components have made some sort of plug for your intercooler scoop to stick in there when it rains, right? :p

Think about it - Subaru undoubtedly tested the intercooler system in conditions simulating freezing rain, hail, and snow. I seriously doubt that any practical intercooler sprayer will be able to produce sufficient volume or temperature differential to exceed the thermal shock design limitations of the pieces that get wet under the intercooler core. With that said, it's probably not a good idea to use high concentrations of alcohol, because it is flammable after all, plus it's hard on the seals in the kind of pumps most people use for their sprayers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not quite. Read slower :p He's talking about using alcohol, not water in his sprayer. Last I checked, alcohol is extremely flammable and he was just saying that spraying it near a turbo that is > 1000 degrees F isn't a good idea.

Now, maybe it will evaporate before getting to anything that hot. It probably will, but I don't know first hand. That is what he was talking about though, not just spraying water (which, as you say, isn't bad) :)

VV

PNG said:
So, I'm assuming that you guys who are worried about water or alcohol damaging hot engine components have made some sort of plug for your intercooler scoop to stick in there when it rains, right? :p

Think about it - Subaru undoubtedly tested the intercooler system in conditions simulating freezing rain, hail, and snow. I seriously doubt that any practical intercooler sprayer will be able to produce sufficient volume or temperature differential to exceed the thermal shock design limitations of the pieces that get wet under the intercooler core. With that said, it's probably not a good idea to use high concentrations of alcohol, because it is flammable after all, plus it's hard on the seals in the kind of pumps most people use for their sprayers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why don't you spray liquid N2 (77k) or CO2?

I think these are cheaper than alcohol.

It is very cold but might crack metal.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts