ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Wrx with about 119k on it. Yesterday I was driving and out of no where I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from the motor. I stopped at a stop sign and once I pressed the clutch the noice went away but the car died out of no where. I started it back up and kept driving stoped at another sign and once I pressed the clutch the car died and barely wanted to start. I got to a parking lot and started smelling like something was burning I popped the hood and there was smoke coming from the crank pulley. I check for codes but there was nothing the temp was at 205 so I let it sit for a while until it cooled down. I started it but was struggling and I left the parking lot and probably 3 minutes after I left the temp rised up from 180ish to 250 in those 3 minutes. I immediately turned it off and cruised to another parking lot. The belts are only 4 months old but changed it again thinking they could be slipping but did the same thing. This morning I started it up and can hear like a slight knockish or grinding coming from the timing cover
any ideas if it’s the water pump?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,679 Posts
No ideas about the water pump. This isn't something that'll get diagnosed over the internet I don't think. My first thought was timing belt tensioner but that's not consistent with the smoke or overheating. A blown head gasket is consistent with many of the symptoms -- but I'm not in front of the car so IDK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts