Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a device to stop water from getting in the CAI with Injen systems like AEM has?

Regards,
-k

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks.

I was just concerned because I heard that this could damage the turbo..

Thanks again,
-k

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
local gsr sucked water into an injen a few onths back out here.

they had to basicallt rebuild evertthing.

haven't heard any problems yet with the rex.

dR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man, that can definitly be a problem.That has happened to at least five of my friends with cars ranging from starions to hondas.It looks like it goes down further than any cai I have seen.I dont think the rex is any exception.I like the design of the mrt.It is just about dead center between the head and the fog lights.I am thinkin of ordering the short stack but I am waiting to hear if it yeilds the same gains as the longer styles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I heard that this could damage the turbo..
That would be the least of your problems, compared to a hydro-locked engine :). Unless you drive through a flood where the water level is at your fog light, then it shouldn't be an issue. I also heard they sell splash guards that cover the front of the filter if you're still worried.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I was just at the dealer the other day checking out the latest WRX gadgets, and the mechanic give me a peak at a WRX that some guy drove through water and roasted the motor...SOA atually sent someone out to look at it....the guy just laughed.

boy those motors are expensive :)

the only way to prevent this is to use the stock intake...the resonator also acts as a water trap. even if you hack it off....there's still a hole in the pipe to let the water drop out. I connected a 3" pipe to the hole where the resonator used to be, and kept the stock setup....works just as well as a CAI (but not as loud), AND takes care of the water problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
as i said several replies ago, for those with a CAI already, just get a AEM bypass value, it will end your worries about sucking up water.

the splash guard won't work as well, b/c it'll still suck up water if the filter takes a dip in water. and plus if you get an injen heatshield/splashguard, its already $50 for it, you mine as well get a bypass valve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey blarg, do you have piks of this and is their a filter on the end of it?If not I wonder how it would work.Do you notice a diff in performance/sound? BTW, I appreciate the ingenuity!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
TeamShiftPoint said:
as i said several replies ago, for those with a CAI already, just get a AEM bypass value, it will end your worries about sucking up water.

the splash guard won't work as well, b/c it'll still suck up water if the filter takes a dip in water. and plus if you get an injen heatshield/splashguard, its already $50 for it, you mine as well get a bypass valve.
DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT use a bypass valve !! The WRX turbo motor applies too much suction at full boost, causing you to pull poorly filtered air.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
nope...no pics as I was SO excited that I got it to work that I threw it in the car as soon as the plastic was cold.

you use a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox...all you do is take out the part that's in the fender, cut off the resonator and then atatch a 3" polypropelyne pipe with a 90 degree bend in it...just like sewer pipe....but POLYPROPELYNE!!!! you have to "weld" it...NOTHING will stick to PP....I"ve tried every solvent known to man...resins...NOTHING sticks to it. So I took a blowtorch and just "welded" carefully...too much and you burn it. anyway, if you go to a hardware store, look at the 90 degree plastic elbows they have for 3" sewer pipes....that's the PERFECT size....it'll end up about 3" behind the holes in your bumper (you want it a little ways back or most of the air will miss the pipe....

performance-wise, you'll see the same difference you would with any CAI + K&N swap....except you save about $250...and you avoid that whole water thing.

sound-wise...you'll hear a LITTLE bit more "growl" at WOT, but pretty much stock sounding durring normal driving....can't tell you about BOV sound as I have an after-market one.

don't expect HUGE differences...the only reason you see such gains with a CAI is mostly from the K&N...not the pipe....(remember you get about 7-9 HP from the K&N ALONE...and about 12 with the pipe....) and $250 for 3 HP seems kinda silly to me....this mod cost me about $6...of course knowing someone you can cast you a polypropelyne pipe hepls :)....you won't find those on a store shelf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
konsl said:
Is there a device to stop water from getting in the CAI with Injen systems like AEM has?
Think for a moment what has to happen to get water in the engine for a Rex... first, it has to be high enough to be ingested, that means going through water that is at least 8-10" deep. Ok, say you do that, or some heavy rain makes it into the filter element. Now this water has to be pulled up 3-4 feet of pipe into the turbo, where it is heated through compression to over 100 degrees. That alone should evaporate any fine water that get in the system. Then, it's sent through an intercooler, through another 2-3 feet of piping between the turbo and intake manifold, and into the engine. That's about an 8 to 10 FOOT path, with a hot turbo in the middle. I just can't see how water can get into the engine if you are careful and don't run WOT through 10" streams of water. BTW, 6" of moving water can move a car, I've heard. Be an intelligent driver, and the intake should not ingest water.

·
Registered
594 Posts
all the guys in my shop call cai systems the water scoop. it is a problem for any aftermarket intake system. by installing one of these on your car you bypass all safeguards designed by the factory to prevent water injestion. every time it rains good we get a car towed in with a cai and hydrolocked. people look dumbfounded when we say it is not covered under warranty. no modification is without its drawbacks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
tuca33 said:
And if the water enters your muffler and makes the way up?
Thanks
Tuca
no water damage is covered under a factory warranty. it is considered an act of God and out of control of the manufacturer. water intrusion is much less likeley thru an exhaust system due to the fact that it is at the back of the car and flow is going out of it not in.

if anyone cares i ran my previous camaro thru water over the hood of the car without incedent on the factory airbox. i am positive a cai would have done me in.the only casualty turned out to be the nippondenso starter motor that did not take kindly to bieng filled with water.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
TeamShiftPoint said:
for those with a CAI already, just get a AEM bypass value,
I have the latest Injen CAI, SP1202 (MR Techonology) for my 06 WRX. I want to put on the AEM bypass, BUT, anyone done this already? I know its supposed to go on the top half...but will the CAI still install properly? The pipes are all cut for the car, i don't know if the install can affort the extra 2 inches or so for the AEM bypass?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts