Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was in 5th gear and floored it built boost and stayed at 8psi then once it got higher in rpms it jumped to 20psi. The whole car jerked all the lights on the dash came on and threw a P0244 code cleared it and ran fine but still stayed at 8psi. I have a 2009 wrx Right now I’m running a Invidia n1 catback, Invidia catless DP, cold air Intake and inlet on stage 2 93 oct besides that everything else is stock. The Wastegate duty stays on 0 builds boost to 8psi and stays there but slowly goes up as rpms get higher. I just recently installed a new turbosmart Wastegate thinking that the Wastegate was the problem but still does the same thing. I believe it’s boost creep but I have no clue what it could be. it’s also running rich causing it to back fire at times. What could I do to try and fix this problem.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Boost creep common on cars with catless downpipes, almost guaranteed on cars with catless downpipes and intakes. I believe an external wastegate may rectify the problem if I recall correctly.

As for the rich condition, it can be because of the overboost, it can also be because of the tune, or leaks in the exhaust or intake.

You said your car has "stage 2" tune. Who's stage 2? If it's a cobb I'm pretty confident you need stage 2+ and it only supports catted downpipes and the cobb intake.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
What stage 2 there are more than one if I recall. 2 and 2+. They have different versions of both of those as well dealing with wastegate duty.

So you have 4 possibilities of stage 2 tune. Assuming you are using the correct stage 2+ then i would look into finding the map for adjusting the wastegate for people making too much boost.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts

I'll leave that. It's stage 2 + you have to have for the intake and turbo back. You'll still have boost creep but on that page there is an option to select wastegate duty and and explanation of what you'll need.

It's the first place to start, however you can't solve boost creep with a tune on a catless downpipe

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Boost creep is caused by a myriad of things including air density. It certainly helps, but isn't guaranteed 100%.

You are telling me you are using a stage 2 cobb tune and that is incorrect, you need the stage 2 plus.

The intake with any aftermarket downpipe catted or not will increase the probability of you seeing boost creep. You can mitigate it with the proper map from cobb, and a catted downpipe. Otherwise an external wastegate is required.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
I did a write-up on boost creep here sometime back around 2004-5. Can't remember what forum it was in but it was in the early days of the WRX and STi introduction when little was known about creep. The answers provided here are absolutely correct with one small caveat. You will likely be able to solve it by putting the cat in place, or basically, anything to introduces some backpressure into the exhaust system (resonator or muffler) without the need for the tune. Creep can't be tuned out. While supporting tunes are offered for when boost creep occurs, this is really more of a band-aid and leaves power on the table and without the additional backpressure, will not remove the issue. I believe Cobb's tune for this is more about the accounting for the additional backpressure vs creep solution. Last but not least, the addition of an external wastegate works, but you loose that built up energy to atmosphere rather than having it recirculate back to the inlet. Lots of people like the sound, but when I here it I think "there goes some power out the window"...lol. Of course with large tubos it is a necessity, but unless you go aftermarket turbo, there really isn't a need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts