Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the Subject says it all, except that my local UniChip tuner happens to be one of the "kings of WRX tuners". But it seems I'm S.O.L. reguardless...

I have had my Unichip since early '02, and had bought it for FULL price ($700) from Vishnu at the time before the UTEC, ECUTek, or any other option was readily avail.

I was planning on other mods at the time, but after talking with Shiv, he talked me into ECU managment early in game to make everything "SAFE". I have had all 3 Vishnu base maps in my Unichip...Stg0, Stg1, and now Stg2 (all causing the CEL to flash all the time :( )

Now, today, a year and a half after getting the UniChip from my Local Dastek dealer (Vishnu), I HAD a dyno appt. to get my car custom tuned. Unfortunately, I was mentioning my unique exhaust setup to foreward and make sure they had a way (wideband O2 instead of sniffer) to get their A/F readings.

After speaking with them for a while on the phone, I was told that Shiv said he wouldn't tune my car...period. :( After mentioning several lame negatives such as how loud the car would be, and how much it will smell up the garage and such, and blow the exhaust down onto the dyno machine... :rolleyes: All of these excuses came AFTER we had already had a conversation where they mentioned that they had dyno'd cars with open headers in the past. :confused:

So...now my LOCAL dastek dealer, and the tuner I listened to and bought my UniChip from when I wasn't planning on ECU managment at the time, now refuses to dyno my F'ing UniChip'd car! :mad:

So now I'm pretty screwed. My only options at this point seem to be to live with the base map I have now and never know if my car is running safe or not with heavy mods, OR buy a UTEC for another $900 over the $700 I already paid for the Unichip, -OR- find if there is another Dastek dealer and can tune UniChips and happen to have a 4-wheel dyno within reasonable distance. :mad:

Any idea's? Anybody know of another shop that can tune UniChip's with a 4 wheel dyno in Northern California?

To think I *USED* to promote Vishnu...

-jason

·
Registered
70 Posts
So they won't tune it due to a unique exhaust setup? What exactly would that be? It sounds like a buncha crap to me, and I'd complain. A lot.

Sounds like an exhaust cutout to me now that I read it again. If they don't budge after complaining a lot, why not just replace with a turboback? Granted, that's just a last ditch solution.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it basically boils down to I have an exhaust with a cutout and they won't dyno my car. I didn't know what to say about it when I was on the phone...I have since fumed over it. I don't know if they were makin' up B.S. because they are getting lazy in their wealth and being picky on what they dyno and what they don't? Or is it because I don't own a $1000 "Vishnu Sig. Series Turbo Back Exhaust" also?

I have also talked to a WRX owner locally that said that Vishnu would not tune his ECU because he had an Intake on the car. Excuse me, but TurboXS, GodSpeed, and all the other big name tuners will custom tune w/ an intake...what's the problem?

The problem is now, I am stuck at a Stg2. If I wanted to add a TMIC/FMIC or headers or anything, I could be running dangerously lean and not be able to do anything about it.

-jason

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
I don't know if you remember my experience with Vishnu last year. You can dig it up with a search. Similar BS I had to go through. I will never bring my business to that guy again, and I don't think anyone should.

Get rid of the unichip. It is old technology and you can practically use it for a coaster. Look into either going with a UTEC, if you want the option of learning how to tune, or the EcuTek. Please contact Bill from I-SpeedUSA about tuning either ECM. He is very experienced and is a nice guy to deal with. He will not turn down any tuning, and is very good at what he does. I got my UTEC tuned by him on ATP's dyno.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I've never had any direct contact with Shiv, or anyone at Vishnu, but he's always seemed reasonable when posting on Nasioc in the past. Is there another side to this story that we're not hearing? Jason, did you post this at Nasioc? Sometimes Shiv interacts over there. They might consent to help you out if the story was made "public" on such a large forum, and they were made to sound unreasonable. Just an idea...:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if you remember my experience with Vishnu last year. You can dig it up with a search. Similar BS I had to go through. I will never bring my business to that guy again, and I don't think anyone should.
Yeah, Kurlee, I do remember your tribulations with him during your dyno session. I also remember sticking up for him somewhat at the time too in that same thread based on my experiences at that time...:eek:

I don't know what it is with Vishnu these days. When I first started dealing with them back in '02 when I first got the car, Vishnu had great customer service. When I would call, I actally talked to Shiv himself. I once had my car die on me after installing the UniChip (loose wire), and Shiv offered to ride his motorcycle out to where I was stranded to help me out.

Now days, you go in there, and they don't give you the time of day anymore... they appearantly didn't want my $200 bucks for tuning either...

BTW Kurlee, do you know if ATP or I-SpeedUSA are UniChip tuners? I really can't afford a UTEC at this point, I just dropped the dough for the turbo/inj/pump already last month.

Is there another side to this story that we're not hearing? Jason, did you post this at Nasioc? Sometimes Shiv interacts over there. ...
If there is another side to the story I don't know it either. I have only had 2 conversations with them on the phone. I even offered to bring the car by so they could look at it and we could discuss it further. They didn't take me up on that either.

They might consent to help you out if the story was made "public" on such a large forum, and they were made to sound unreasonable. Just an idea
That was one of the reasons for posting here about it...I don't normally go over to NASIOC very often.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
First, don't get so excited over the intake thing - that's heresay and should be taken w/ a grain of salt.

But I think I see the problem - and forgive me if I misunderstand your exhaust system. So if I'm reading you right, the exhaust actually comes out somewhere upstream of the tailpipe. W/ the tailpipe in place only to fool the authorities. Correct?

Now those guys have their dyno inside I would guess. And I would also guess that they have some sort of exhaust collector that slips over the tailpipe. Now if they can't slip that collector over a pipe somewhere then where does the exhaust go? It just stays in the dyno room right? Well that's a real problem. In fact that's a popular way for people commit suicide after all! Especially if you don't have any cats.

Wanna get a real bad headache? Pull your car into your garage and shut the garage door. Leave the car running and see how long you can stand to stay in there with it. As a safety precaution please don't do this alone - you'll need a buddy outside to come rushing in to pull your lifeless body out if you try to stay too long. Tell him to make sure he checks if you don't come out in 5 minutes. If you plan to rev the car hard like a dyno run during this test tell your buddy to check every 2 minutes.

I can see where Shiv wouldn't want to risk carbon monoxide poisoning to tune your car. Without cats I can't imagine the range of other health problems that might arise. I think he values his customers, but like any intelligent man he probably doesn't value them over his own health. I can't blame him.

Just a thought....

C

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
GV27 said:
And I would also guess that they have some sort of exhaust collector that slips over the tailpipe. Now if they can't slip that collector over a pipe somewhere then where does the exhaust go?
But couldn't they slip the collector over the pipe where it's really coming out? Perhaps not; some cutout systems don't really provide a convenient place to wrap something over...

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
THat's exacly what I'm thinking - those things are designed to work on all sorts of exhaust so they're large and need to be slipped on a substantial amount. A little 2" stub pipe ain't gonna allow that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In jmussetter's defense, I believe he did say that Vishnu has done tuning on cars with open headers. It's the exact same thing as an exhaust dump (cut out). I don't see why he won't touch your car if they have done stuff like this in the past. I'd say to hell with them. Take your cash somewhere where it is appreciated and just spread the word about Vishnu's customer service.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have intake on my sti and a few other things so what he wont do it now.?
From what I've heard from actual Bay Area WRX owners is that he won't custom tune a car with a CAI, and if you want to run one of his base maps, he tells you that you have to take the intake off first. I havn't heard him tell me that, since I don't have an intake on the car, so I would have to say that it is second hand information that I've repeatedly heard.

But I think I see the problem - and forgive me if I misunderstand your exhaust system. So if I'm reading you right, the exhaust actually comes out somewhere upstream of the tailpipe. W/ the tailpipe in place only to fool the authorities. Correct?
Yes, correct, I have the cut-out welded in on the vertical section of the DP. It originally started life as an HKS DP before I modified it. Here is a link to better explain things...
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35549&highlight=ultimate+turbo+back+exhaust

Now those guys have their dyno inside I would guess. And I would also guess that they have some sort of exhaust collector that slips over the tailpipe. Now if they can't slip that collector over a pipe somewhere then where does the exhaust go? It just stays in the dyno room right? Well that's a real problem. In fact that's a popular way for people commit suicide after all! Especially if you don't have any cats.
I understand that. I've seen their dyno setup before , and from what I gather, the garage is so small, that they would normally roll the doors up and the tail of the car would emit the fumes practically outside. The don't use a snorkle to vent exhaust fumes away. What they DO use, is a O2 probe similar to smog stations that goes in your tailpipe to get your A/F readings during tuning. This was the reason for me mentioning it to them, was to make sure they could use an regular wideband O2 sensor screwed into my uppipe rather than the o2 probe (since the probe would not be accurate if placed in my tailpipe). At that time, they admitted to dyno'ing several cars with open headers in the past, and didn't mention them as being unsuccessful. They use HUGE fans blowing at the front of the car during dyno sessions anyway, so any exhaust that was expelled under the car, would be drafted away and out the garage door.

I've also NEVER heard of any dyno tuner *****ING/MOANING about the noise level of the cars they're working with. :rolleyes: Do you know how many dyno shops dyno big block 400+ c.i. 1000HP alcohol cars, with open headers? You don't hear them complaining about the noise...they use a rather old invention called earplugs! Why would Vishnu moan about the noise other than to make up an excuse?

I just can't accept any of their excuses as valid reasons to turn me away other than they feel like it's a waste of time or something? I dunno. Maybe he's getting me back for spilling the beans on his Stg. 3 about a year ago, but I had that thread deleted and had apologized to him at the time also. Besides, he didn't even talk to me in person on the phone, so it's not a personal reason that he turned me away.

Wish I could get my money back on this UniChip now, but that ain't gonna happen, it's 1 1/2 years old and he doesn't even sell them anymore I don't believe.

-jason

·
Registered
111 Posts
what is a access ecu exactly from them?

also how do they tune it in you just give them mods. see id do that if they were near me but for tuning and dyno etc im liek 20 min from vishnu

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I have heard about shiv being hella shady, but i have yet to deal with him. It almost seems that he thinks hes too good to tune anyones car thats not in a magazine or has 600 whp. As far as someone who can dyno tune, try I-speed. I believe they did a fairly good job on Karls car, but he has a UTEC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Deffinitely: SCREW Vishnu!

what a lame a** guy!

later

Ohhhh, I just wanted you, VISHNU, to know that I WAS a POTENTIAL customer who has now turned to TurboXS !!

Lets boycott Vishnu guys.

later

·
Registered
559 Posts
jmussetter said:

Maybe he's getting me back for spilling the beans on his Stg. 3 about a year ago, but I had that thread deleted and had apologized to him at the time also. Besides, he didn't even talk to me in person on the phone, so it's not a personal reason that he turned me away.

-jason
If Vishnu won't tune your car...

You might want to try a Porsche tuner. They might have a 4wd dyno, or know how to disengage the front wheels. Lots of people put UNICHIP on 993/996 TT. Worth a shot so you don't have to buy another chip.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COBB access ecu
That won't do me any better, because those are off the shelf maps just like the UniChip. Or at least it puts me in the same position as having to find a Cobb dealer w/ a 4-wheel dyno nearby to get it dyno tuned...

It almost seems that he thinks hes too good to tune anyones car thats not in a magazine or has 600 whp.
Tell me about it...:rolleyes:

If Vishnu won't tune your car...You might want to try a Porsche tuner. They might have a 4wd dyno, or know how to disengage the front wheels. Lots of people put UNICHIP on 993/996 TT. Worth a shot so you don't have to buy another chip.
Good Idea! I will try browsing at a porche site and see if there is a Unichip dealer w/ 4-wheel dyno that they use...Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts