Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone, I recently purchased a 17 WRX about 3 months ago and the factory radio was just not going to cut it. I upgraded the head unit to. Double din with apply play, completely redid the door speakers and added two subwoofers in the trunk. It all sounds amazing and looks good with a clean install, the only issue is doesn't seem I was able to retain the GPS portion of star link system, the connectivity to star link still works great but just seems that the telematics portion isn't working(as indicated by the red light). My biggest concern is when I take the car in for service(oil change) they will try to void the warranty. ? HELP PLEASE

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Your doomed. Hopefully they don't confiscate the car.

Or

It doesn't work like that. What will happen is nothing. They won't even think about it unless you came in with a warranty issue with the stereo, steering wheel controls or some related issue. At that point they tell you to pound sand.

If you were to show up with a non electrical engine failure they would repair it and send you on your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
if anyone has information for a fix for this, and if anyone has had experience with subaru warranty and if they void it?
Ok, this is the only help for you. Don't modify anything else, and be prepared to pay if something in the electrical system in the dash or doors fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
There is no such thing as a blanket dealership voiding your warranty. As XJman noted, it you modify X and either X fails or something directly related to X fails, then the dealership may choose to not fix that fail item(s) under warranty. As an example, if you modify your motor to 400 HP, and your burn out your clutch, Subaru can claim (and they probably will), and that is was not designed to handle that level of power and they will consequently not pay for a clutch repair/replacement.

But conversely, let's say your changed our only your stereo and your clutch failed, Subaru will honor its warranty obligations and fix/replace your clutch.

I have done 30+ mods to my '17 WRX and two fail into the category where I have chosen to do that mod knowing full well that is something were to happen to that part of the car, the repair would be totally (and properly) on me.

Again no "blanket warranty voiding" occurs with Subaru nor any other manufacturer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts