ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching, and I'm sure there's something out there, but I can't find it. I'm a newbie (awww...isn't that cute) so don't fault me if I can't find what I'm looking for. Point me in the right direction if you can.

I'm looking for some mods to make that won't impact my factory warranty. What can I get away with? I'm not talking interior or exterior, I don't care about that stuff right now...I'll tint my windows when the time comes. I'm looking for mods that won't get me in trouble with the dealer or my wife lol! If I put something on, and break, and she finds out the dealer won't cover it, none of you would want to be around.

I know there's dozens of little tricks you guys have found, will those get me in trouble? Aftermarket parts are tempting me too? Is a cold air intake a dealer's business??

Help me go faster!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The fact of the matter is that most Subaru dealerships are d*cks when it comes to warranty work. You just need to find one that is "mod-friendly."

"Stealth" mods:
You could get a turboback/catback/axleback exhaust. Most places won't care if you have a catback/axleback setup, but I've heard stories where people had dealerships try to deny warranty work because of them. However, both are easy to install/remove. So, if you ever have to take it in to the dealership, you can just reinstall the factory exhaust first.

You could also go with the Cobb AccessPort. That will let you reflash your ECU to either Stage1 or Stage2 (depending on your mods). Cobb says that the reflash is undetectable by dealerships, but if you're still worried, you can always just reflash it back to "stock" when you take it in.

Right now, I'm running the TurboXS Stealthback exhaust, which replaces everything except for the stock axleback. I've also got the Cobb AccessPort and my ECU is reflashed to Stage2. All easy mods to remove in case I need to take it in. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
i was in the same boat you were about 2 months ago when i got my car, what i decided to do was go with the cobb tuning acessport, and TBE (stage 2),if worse came to worse, and something major happend i can always reflash my computer and or put stock exhaust back on. Thats surpressing my horsepower needs for now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
WR Blue Pearl said:
Is a cold air intake a dealer's business??

CAI is super easy to swap in and out, but read up a LOT on it before you decide to do it. i imagine that if you take the time to research it, you'll end up either not wanting to do it, or waiting for Cobb to come out with theirs (which is what i'm doing).

trip.

(don't let this hi-jack the thread. we can argue about it elsewhere)

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
some dealers (the bigger ones especially) are very mod friendly...if you go to a GM dealer that happens to sell a few Suarus, they don't really know or want to know about anything that's not OE. Some of them won't even work on it...they'll tell ou its because of the mods...which is true, but a lot of times they just don't know the Subarus well enough to mess with mods.

Most of the stand-alone Subaru dealers that sell nothing else actually have their own in-house performance shops that not only sell mods but will install them for you as well. These guys are great. They'll also let you know if the mods you're considering are "pushing the bounds"...they usualy don't like to see more than 320-350 HP on a stock motor. Also - I've heard that even though the Subaru warranty won't cover mods, the extended warranty will. The extended warranty is not a SOA product. Its a seperate company that offers extended warranties to just about EVERY car dealer, as well as electronics stores and the like. The policy says it covers "abuse, neglect, and acts of God". Its only a powertrain warranty, but I've had some work done that was covered by it. Of course I go to a mod-friendly dealer that probably wouldn't care anyway.

If I were you I'd worry more about breaking the law rather than voiding the warranty. A lot of people remove all their cats and get loud obnoxious exhausts KNOWING both are illegal, and then get on here and ***** when they get caught and fined and whine that its not fair.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again...newbie, so I just looked at the Cobb website to see what we're all talking about. I don't have a lot of cash to spend on mods, (remember the whole wife thing...she hates spending additional money on a car over stock). I think I'm more interested in Stage 1 right now over Stage 2...and I can always upgrade right.

My new question, still related, is it ridiculous to think someone might be selling a used AccessPort for an '04 WRX?? I searched ebay and couldn't find a thing, but I see guys out here already selling their parts off their '04's for various reasons.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You can't transfer the Accessport from one car to the other since it marries itself to the car (basically), like you cannot ebay your wife, me too. Unless you take the whole ECU out, then maybe it is possible.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I've seen a few used ones for sale here and there, but honestly, you're probably better off getting a new one. Most of the used ones I've seen are selling for MORE than a brand new one because the waiting list for a new one from Cobb is so long (about six weeks).

There are a few dealerships (I think one is in Dallas, TX) that sell AccessPorts. You may want to check with one of them and see if they have them in stock. If so, you won't have to wait forever.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
you can uninstall an AccessPORT. when you uninstall it effectively performs a divorce. :D

you DO see them on Ebay once in a while, but they usually sell for ~$50 OVER retail because getting one right away is at a premium since there's a six week waiting list to get one.

they run about $600....you can sometimes find one on Ebay in the $650-$700 range.

its well worth the wait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhhh....technology, you gotta love it. I'm only 26 and I remember when horsepower gains required something made of metal to be swapped out. Remember changing jets in a carbuerator??? Now I have to pay $600 for a small plastic box with a display that's smaller than my calculator! I know...I'm an engineer..., you're paying for the R&D and the continued support via new maps...but it still seems like you're paying a wad of cash to chose the B*TCHIN FAST setting then throw it in the glove box!

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
thank your congressman.

if it weren't for hippy tree-hugging liberal BS legislation, it would have come tuned the right way from the factory.

trip.
i couldn't agree with you more...and i try to vote them out of office every chance I have...BUT the fact of the matter is, it IS the law, and if you choose to break it, you have to accept the consequences...and do it without complaining.

me? i'm in law enforcement....so I'm waiting another month or two for the CARB certified TBE to come out. Helix just released a downpipe with a metal-substrate cat that will pass the CA. sniff test. its about $400. with supposedly the same power gains as their non-cat DP.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You gotta pay to play...

If you cant afford to be without your warranty, dont do anything that would cause it to go away. ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
blarg said:
i couldn't agree with you more...and i try to vote them out of office every chance I have...BUT the fact of the matter is, it IS the law, and if you choose to break it, you have to accept the consequences...and do it without complaining.

me? i'm in law enforcement....so I'm waiting another month or two for the CARB certified TBE to come out. Helix just released a downpipe with a metal-substrate cat that will pass the CA. sniff test. its about $400. with supposedly the same power gains as their non-cat DP.
and being such an honorable, law abiding citizen, can i also assume that you'll go have your aftermarket exhaust certified by the DOT?

in New York ANY aftermarket exhaust *technically* requires evaluation and certification by the DOT. and that's not even the worst part. the worst part is they make YOU pay for the evaluation and the sticker.

screw that. laws like that are set up to collect fees and satisfy the rants of a pseudo-science preaching minority.

trip.

(btw, i don't mean to be inflammatory directly to you, i'm just saying that adherence to the law is frequently far more inconvenient than simply choosing an earth-friendly option. it's all about finding a reasonable middle ground which we are simply no where near in this country)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts